Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ripped off compartment door with slide

Just back from our 1st. major trip in our new 2 us motorhome. So I descided to get a early start to our return trip, went around the motorhome and checked but being half asleep 4 am I did not see the front small compartment door open. while pulling in the front slide it made a pop WOW what was that. I about lost my stomach when I went outside. The door was on the ground snapped off at the hinge. WELL I stuck the door in a larger compartment. Fuse panels are in the compartment. So I did not have to move anything. and travelled about 350 miles for the day.... I got lots of laughs and pointing along the road Made me feel great... The door seems to be OK exept the bottom curve is bent some I think I will try to replace the door using a piano hinge when I get home..By the way DW has not seen nor hearded about it yet...the door fits in niceley while parked if U know what I mean....

Well just sharing my first of many goof ups with our new toy

Jeff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Ahhh!!! With our previous coach, pulling out of an Idaho Falls camp ground, we were most concerned with the back end turning without knicking the neighbor's picnic table or coach, so that's where I was stationed. The metal ring around the campfire on the passenger side had been moved by the maintenance people (and we didn't know that). The darn thing scraped right across one of our doors. It took all the way to Winnemucca that day for DH to be able to speak! Stuff happens . . . we try our best to never be in a hurry, but like you half asleep at 4am, you can't look out for everything. I hope your wife is not reading these posts.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #3

Stuff happens. I just repair my antenna that I forgot to lower.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey it happens and it could be a lot worse! Watch the movie RV amd you will soon realize that your damage is minor!

It will be a funny campfire story in a month or two!

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #5

I think my wife learned not to put one of the slides out without checking that the microwave door is closed, at least I hope she has learned.
It happens.
I don't think there is better entertainment then a six pack of cold beer, a comfortable chair and a busy boat ramp on Independence Day!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
hard right turn in the Wal-mart parking lot and and thud. wrinkled the water compartment door and aft basement door. Plus left lots of yellow paint on my MH from the offending concrete filled steel post. New doors are in, take the MH in tomorrow for the repairs and painting.

Stuff happens. Which is why not only do I have my pre-take off check list, I have it where I have to put a check mark by each item. That has saved me more than once.

Good luck when DW finally sees the damage.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #7

Met a mailbox at a White Castle. Scraped two and a half compartment doors. Not a good sight. Sanded, primed, painted base coat and clear coat. Looks great. Stuff happens, have to be ready to fix up and move on.
JB
Old 08-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by millred1 View Post
Just back from our 1st. major trip in our new 2 us motorhome. So I descided to get a early start to our return trip, went around the motorhome and checked but being half asleep 4 am I did not see the front small compartment door open. while pulling in the front slide it made a pop WOW what was that. I about lost my stomach when I went outside. The door was on the ground snapped off at the hinge. WELL I stuck the door in a larger compartment. Fuse panels are in the compartment. So I did not have to move anything. and travelled about 350 miles for the day.... I got lots of laughs and pointing along the road Made me feel great... The door seems to be OK exept the bottom curve is bent some I think I will try to replace the door using a piano hinge when I get home..By the way DW has not seen nor hearded about it yet...the door fits in niceley while parked if U know what I mean....

Well just sharing my first of many goof ups with our new toy

Jeff
And the offer to make sure this continues is??? A good cup of coffee can buy a lot of silence.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I creased a compartment door when a steel stanchion jumped out at me at a gas station. Our new motorhome was less than three days old. These are the scars of our hard-earned lessons.

Jack
Old 08-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pulled in the long slide on our Discovery 39R and broke the aluminum frame of the door that was open. Used spring clamps and panel adhesive to repair and it is better than new. Original adhesive delaminates when subjected to shear force. Lucked out and now all doors closed before moving any slides.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #11

Mounted a dark grey 6" post in Rapid City in the dark. even with 500HP it wouldn't move the post. Just remember, carry numerous rolls of duct tape just for these instances.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Mounted a dark grey 6" post in Rapid City in the dark. even with 500HP it wouldn't move the post. Just remember, carry numerous rolls of duct tape just for these instances.

Duct tape comes in matching colors now----so you can bang your rig up and not have to wear that silver stuff home.

As for me my 50 amp cord is shorter than yours----or anyones---twice!!!
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
There is a lesson learned in all our little mishaps each and every one. We now have a RULE that when we put the slides in or out there has to be a spotter outside to watch for potential hazards. This is one of many new rules we have come up with since we have owned a motorhome, and destroyed a few items on said motorhome, lol. This rule came about when hubby got in a hurry and thought he could put the slides out without me, imagine that. Forgetting he had opened the compartment door to water, electric, sewer area, and left it open. the huge slide came out and what do you know, jammed that door, couldn't do anything with the door or the slide. everything stuck and scratched! Long story short, door had to be partially removed, then wouldn't shut correctly, had to use a floor jack on the door to raise enough just to get it to half shut, then had to go to shop for repair.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are no "inexpensive little mistakes" with these things. Of course, I've never scratched mine. That little thing with the stop sign when bringing home the day we purchased it really doesn't count.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, slide