Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #15

I have a long 1/4" pex tube for reject water. Depending on where I fill up, I water plants (in Havasu its my palm trees, in Mexico- flowers up to a point). If there is no landscape to water with, usually ~30-40 gallons of the reject water, I place the pex line in the sewer. I have the flow meter option on mine and can dial reject water to 1:1 or less in extreme conservation locations, but I try to think ahead on where I will be so I can assist the green stuff. My palm trees in Havasu are bigger'n the neighbor's!

I know some folks who will top off the fresh by sending reject to the waste tanks, but I figured that would make a problem some day when I didn't think things through properly (sometimes I'm not too swift that way). Others thread a check valve fitting into the coach's ABS sewer just ahead of the closure plate but after the dump valve, then connect sewer line to the lot connection before making water. I have a number of friends with 2-membrane setups; that makes for faster fill, and your 2nd membrane makes RO water out of the reject off the first dropping total reject% to about 40, assuming the standard 1/3 product to 2/3 reject (I never enjoyed the 2/3 reject for purely philosophical reasons, so I ordered the flow meters so I could set the reject% each fill depending on local conditions).

I bought this system for our previous coach, and loved it. When we traded for the new coach, my wife surprised me by immediately saying, "now order a new RO system for me." So guess what I did?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I would use a .5 micron as you do at home or a carbon block filter of.5micron. If you want to eliminate chlorine get a KDF55. Also available are ceramic cleanable filters. You just use an emery cloth to san the out side and reuse it. They are pricey but worth it.

Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have used the seagull on boats and they are the best. The filter was a .2 micron and would take out most everything. Going to build in my water system under the sink in the basement. Will make a small area to house the filters. What ever I do?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another thought comes to me about R/O water......

I recall a few (about six) years ago I was looking into R/O systems, decided against them.. As I recall, and please do not trust me here. There were some folks saying that R/O water is bad for your health. I have a vague memory of their logic (No mineral content) but never followed that line of research well enough to establish a solid memory.

Do do recommend you check this out, and if you can confirm.. OR DENY, please do so.

Usually I go ahead and do the research, but in this case I'm not motivated enough so all I can do is suggest a research topic. "Danger of Reverse Osmosis Water" Feed it to Google and see what pops.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That is true , we have always supplemented with vitamins and minerals. It also show how clean the water is. Now you got me thinking. I think I heard that some medication in the water can not be take out. But I guess that is in all water. Oh well!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
just when I began thing that RO was the way to go....I'm gonna spend a little time looking into this before I make a decision. Thanks to all for the great info.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
In my opinion, RO is NOT a good system for filtering water. It is extremely inefficient (wastes 3 - 10 gallons of water for every gallon filtered) and doesn't remove many contaminants unless it has an additional carbon filter. ALSO, the AMA has expressed concerns about the safety of RO filtered water because of the possibility of high levels of mercury and aluminum that may be left in the "filtered" water. To me, just the waste of water is enough to disqualify it as a good system for an RV, not to mention the safety issues. I would do some research before deciding on an RO system. Start here: http://ezinearticles.com/?Drinking-Water-Station-Guide&id=4522785 http://www.aquatechnology.net/frame85879.html
Old 03-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #22

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadrand View Post
In my opinion, RO is NOT a good system for filtering water. It is extremely inefficient (wastes 3 - 10 gallons of water for every gallon filtered) . . .
That's why a good RV RO system plumbs the RO system's waste water back into the water holding tank -- and not on the ground.

Quote:
. . . and doesn't remove many contaminants unless it has an additional carbon filter.
A typical RV RO system has a sediment filter and carbon block filter in front of the RO filter.

Quote:
To me, just the waste of water is enough to disqualify it as a good system for an RV, not to mention the safety issues. I would do some research before deciding on an RO system. Start here: http://ezinearticles.com/?Drinking-Water-Station-Guide&id=4522785 http://www.aquatechnology.net/frame85879.html
The article is written by Bob Hurley whose expertise appears to be that he has "published" 64 articles on an on-line magazine that includes such scholarly pieces as What Causes Neck Wrinkles? and Easy Steps You Can Take To Reduce Your Laundry Utility Bills.

In short, sadrand, YOU are the one who needs to do some research.

For those really interested in an RV RO solution try rv water filters, rv water regulators, rv water pumps, rv water softeners, rv water hose
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #23

RO is the way to go. Spotless rinse when you wash your rig with it. Big deal, maybe $50 year to change the membrane and filters. Ever take a shower with crap water?. Never have to with RO.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Techwriter -

1. It may be ok with you to add 3 or more gallons of water to your holding tank just to make one gallon of clean water, but it's not acceptable to me. In addition to needlessly filling up my gray water tank, this kind of water waste is not acceptable to me either. Many people think that RO is just another filter type and don't realize how much water is wasted with this system. This alone is enough for me not to choose it.

2. The fact that RO systems need a carbon block and sediment filter in ADDITION to the RO membrane shows just how inefficient the RO system is. I maintain that a two-stage filter system (without the RO) will work just fine for most people and the waste and expense of and RO system is needless for most applications.

3. There are many articles about the issues with an RO system from many different sources. I have done the research and made my decision and I was just suggesting the original poster do the same.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #25

Quote:
1. It may be ok with you to add 3 or more gallons of water to your holding tank just to make one gallon of clean water, but it's not acceptable to me. In addition to needlessly filling up my gray water tank, this kind of water waste is not acceptable to me either. Many people think that RO is just another filter type and don't realize how much water is wasted with this system. This alone is enough for me not to choose it.
The RO waste water goes back to your drinking water tank, not the gray tank. So ZERO gallons are wasted.

Quote:
2. The fact that RO systems need a carbon block and sediment filter in ADDITION to the RO membrane shows just how inefficient the RO system is.
This is kinda like saying cars are inefficient because they need tires.

Quote:
3. There are many articles about the issues with an RO system from many different sources. I have done the research and made my decision and I was just suggesting the original poster do the same.
No you haven't. The "research" you provided (and the other article in the post that you or a moderator deleted) are both junk science. If you think they're credible, then I have a bridge to sell you.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #26

I agree with Techwriter completely. Our RO system does exactly as he says. The waste(don't really like the term waste) water goes directly into our fresh water holding tank. We've been fulltiming for over 2yrs. now and wouldn't be without it.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
So you're putting the waste water, which contains the rejected and more concentrated contaminants back into your fresh water????
Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #28

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
The RO waste water goes back to your drinking water tank, not the gray tank. So ZERO gallons are wasted...
Then what was the point of using the RO filter?

Tags
water