Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchayan View Post
I agree with GARY114. I too was in the ro water business. You cannot leave the system idle, bacteria will form sooner or later. I would buy a high quality 4x10 filter housing and cartridge and install it. When you are not using your rv drain it well and put the cartridge in the fridge for a couple of weeks, if you are not going to use it for longer put it in the freezer until you need it [just make sure it is drained well. This filter should be after your pump. I would also have an inline filter on your water supply line on your house. I add a cup of food grade 35% hydrogen peroxide to my 100 gallon water tank when I fill it up before a trip. The peroxide attacks any bacteria and pathogens and oxidizes them, the remainder of the unused peroxide turns into water and oxygen which off gases. This way I am always sure my tanks are sterile. I would never use chlorine [Bleach] ever.
Where do you get food grade hydrogen peroxide or is it the same stuff you buy at Wallgreens.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not sure where to find one, but. There is a cool pump and counter top dispenser with a hose and pump that runs to an office type water bottle that can go under the coach in the basement. Seems better than trying to manage filters. Of course, only a delinquent would think of dumping the water and filling it with wine, vodka, etc.
Really though, water, and you can refill at home or home depot, depending on how you travel.

FineProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Found it:
https://www.aquaezflo.com/
FineProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 AM   #32

I use a whole house RO system in my RV. All the RO water flows into my fresh water holding tank. The "waste" water, as some have called it, is not really wasted. It flows back into the environment where it combines with other ground water and used over and over again as is all water. In no way is it contaminated and unfit for human consumption.

Jim E
Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 AM   #33
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Another thought comes to me about R/O water......

I recall a few (about six) years ago I was looking into R/O systems, decided against them.. As I recall, and please do not trust me here. There were some folks saying that R/O water is bad for your health. I have a vague memory of their logic (No mineral content) but never followed that line of research well enough to establish a solid memory.

Do do recommend you check this out, and if you can confirm.. OR DENY, please do so.

Usually I go ahead and do the research, but in this case I'm not motivated enough so all I can do is suggest a research topic. "Danger of Reverse Osmosis Water" Feed it to Google and see what pops.
I used to have have an RO system when I had a saltwater aquarium. One of the dads on the fish forum mixed his baby's formula with RO water, thinking it was "pure" and healthy until the baby ended up in the NICU. They traced the problem back to the RO water. Thankfully the baby fully recovered.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Then what was the point of using the RO filter?
Drinking water comes from RO filter (actually a 3-gallon holding tank connected to the filter). The water in the holding tank is used for everything else.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
just when I began thing that RO was the way to go....I'm gonna spend a little time looking into this before I make a decision. Thanks to all for the great info.
Thanks for letting us know.. That, was the the response I was hoping for.

Yes, and can you do us a favor.. When you have done the research ... Let us know what you decide and why.. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I was talked out of a RO system. Will go with two filter system plumbed in the basement for room. Thanks for all the info.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadog
Well I was talked out of a RO system. Will go with two filter system plumbed in the basement for room. Thanks for all the info.
I was wondering If a UV filter along with a good 2 stage filter might be the way to go, eliminating the need to add chlorine or peroxide as a sterilizer to the storage tank.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
Matchayan,

Where do you find food grade hydrogen peroxide ?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #39
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ok, here's a way to get pure drinking water from the air. Seems like it might be a plausable solution if you are in a high humidity environment. Or if you heat your coach with propane and have lots of condensation on the windows it will do double duty as a dehumidifier. It also has a way to plumb water to it for when you are in low humidity. It does include an RO filter system. But it costs $1200.00

http://www.organixresources.com/Ecol...medium=organic
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #40

I too have been considering installing an RO system that would treat all incoming water prior to it being stored in the motorhome water tank. My desire is to avoid all mineral deposits on shower glass, plumbing fixtures and also be able to use the RO water stored in the MH tank to wash the exterior of the coach. The MH I will be purchasing will likely have an Oasis boiler hot water/ heating system. My question is this..............In a sticks and bricks home installed RO system, I have heard that it is not adviseable to run RO water through copper piping, as RO supposedly attacks the copper metal and eventually over time will eat away the wall of the pipe. So I just called technical assisitance (Kevin) at Oasis boilers and he told me that the bolier assembly is made up of 316 stainless steel and the heat exchanger does have some silver solder, but no copper metals. Not sure if RO will attack the silver solder? Does anyone have any knowledge on this?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot of water in an RV is used for things like flushing, You don't need R/O water for flushing, so you basically install a dual system, R/O for things where you need pure water and straight whatever went in the tank for flushing.. Then the R/O flush water (the 3-4 gallons you waste for every gallon produced) goes back into the supply tank.

Do I think this is a good system....... NO!

I'm just telling you how many do it.

In another time and place there is a discussion on soft/hard water so I did a bit of research. As it happens I enjoy that.. One of the links fits here too. Here it is:

Soft Water - It's Not For Drinking
Old 03-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #42

Snake Oil Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
A lot of water in an RV is used for things like flushing, You don't need R/O water for flushing, so you basically install a dual system, R/O for things where you need pure water and straight whatever went in the tank for flushing.. Then the R/O flush water (the 3-4 gallons you waste for every gallon produced) goes back into the supply tank.

Do I think this is a good system....... NO!

I'm just telling you how many do it.

In another time and place there is a discussion on soft/hard water so I did a bit of research. As it happens I enjoy that.. One of the links fits here too. Here it is:

Soft Water - It's Not For Drinking
Your link is a classic example of a company dissing another product (in this case, soft water, chlorination, etc) in order to sell its own product (in this case, "KDF filtration").

You might want to go beyond page one when you do your Google "research".

Same goes for your suggestion to a poster to do a search on "Danger of Reverse Osmosis Water" -- from what pops up, find us a credible source (i.e., where actual science is involved) that shows RO dangers.

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water