Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #1

Road Conditions while traveling in winter months

What experiences have you had traveling south in your RV DP from Kentucky through Memphis in weather conditions after Christmas and into January? Thinking of taking our first trip out of winter to Texas during this time and returning to NE Ohio in March. Probably taking I-71 through Bowling Green, I-65 through Nashville, I-40 into Hot Springs, I-30 into Dallas, and farther south. We anticipate the threat of snow/ice may dissipate once we get into Memphis. Maybe I am wrong. Looking for experiences anyone here has had during those months of the travel year. Thank you.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Build in a "snow day" or two into you schedule so you can stay off the road if weather is bad. Otherwise you should be fine
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Good advice from momdoc. We can have days of ice and snow here in north Texas and occasionally as far south as Austin.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #4

I would be prepared I live way down in Southeast Texas down by Corpus Christi roads still get icy especially the bridges and it does snow down here rarely. North Texas definitely gets icy, blowing winds freezing rain. All that being said winter down in South Texas pretty nice
Old 07-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I had to drive in the worst weather no matter what. I'm retired now so I don't. If it is ice or snow wait for them to clear the roads.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:06 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thats the route I normally take when traveling from OH to AZ..

I like to get as far south as quickly as I can before turning west. Its usually down thru Memphis, then its either I-40 west thru Amarillo, or continue south thru Dallas then to I-20 to I-10.

I-40 can get dicey when you enter into the New Mexico
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Thats the route I normally take when traveling from OH to AZ..

I like to get as far south as quickly as I can before turning west.

Me too. You can take I-40 from Memphis, then I-30 to Dallas. Then I-35 if heading south through San Antonio. However, I you are ok with adding only two hours (120 miles) to your drive, why not take I-55 from Memphis all the way to I-10 in Louisiana, then to San Antonio? That route, according to Google Maps, is only 120 miles more (847 vs 727 miles).
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #8

It is hard to predict things, especially the future.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I head SOUTH to I-10 and then West to beat the bad weather and cold temps. It takes a little longer but I'm retired. Since in Central IL I head out on I 55 and run to Memphis for O/N then down to So. LA before heading West. Thinking of going on out to AZ this winter and January weather is bad Memphis thru AR and Dallas area. Good and bad days.

I usually plan out at least 2 different ways to go and take the shortest weather permitting.

Hope this helps in your planning - Richard
Old 07-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I drive from NJ to FL on Christmas night every year.

1. Check the 10 day weather forecast for a number of cities along your route, not just your destination. Do this in the week before you leave to see weather patterns and if the weather is looking to get better or worse.

2. Find a clear weather window and drive, drive, drive. Winter travel is no time to stop and smell the roses.

3. Keep an eye on your outside temperature gauge. Over 40 degrees is good. Once it drops below 40 and you get rain, there's a chance for black ice and frozen overpasses.

4. Have your fuel and water tanks full in case you do need to wait out some weather.

Safe travels!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #11

What momdoc said X3! When we would spend the winter in the RGV I took I 70 to ST. Louis, I44 to 35W. I included 3 extra travel days JIC we encountered bad weather. If no bad weather was encountered, we spent those 3 extra days somewhere South of San Antonio.
I do not drive on slick roads!!! I remember one trip we spent a day and night in a rest area somewhere in NM; and some wonder why I always travel with a full fresh water tank.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Me too. You can take I-40 from Memphis, then I-30 to Dallas. Then I-35 if heading south through San Antonio. However, I you are ok with adding only two hours (120 miles) to your drive, why not take I-55 from Memphis all the way to I-10 in Louisiana, then to San Antonio? That route, according to Google Maps, is only 120 miles more (847 vs 727 miles).
Once out of Memphis, we are planning to go toward Dallas and make stops at the four presidential libraries and museums as they are all enroute to San Antonio, then onward to Big Bend National Park. Any thoughts on this route in mid-January?
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert T View Post
Once out of Memphis, we are planning to go toward Dallas and make stops at the four presidential libraries and museums as they are all enroute to San Antonio, then onward to Big Bend National Park. Any thoughts on this route in mid-January?
All the roads through Texas are crap shoot in the Winter until you get way south. It can be 70+ degrees or it can be in the teens and icy. You will just have to monitor road conditions ahead of time and plan accordingly. Make reservations at BB as the area can be full of winter Texans.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert T View Post

Can't help with the sight-seeing. Also, we turned West in San Antonio. As to road conditions, the average low for San Antonio is 39 in January with an average high of 62. By contrast, the average low in Dallas for Jan is 30. Much more susceptible to ice/snow on the roads. Once you get to the "Valley", you are home free. Jan avg low temp is 51, high of 71. The Valley is the area around McAllen, Edinburg, etc. There are only about 3,000 mobile home and RV parks in the Valley.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, winter