Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2018, 06:10 AM   #1

Heartland RV Club
Road side Assistance Plans

Hi All. Sorry if this is else where, still learning how to search the forum or if someone can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated as well.

We are purchasing our 1st MH and looking for recommendations on who has a good roadside assistance program? I'm sure there are horror stories about each. Just trying to see who uses what.

Thanks is advance
7mtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 06:11 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Many RV owners choose Coach-Net.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have been with Good Sam Roadside Assistance since 2001 with just a couple of less-than-satisfactory incidents. I don't think there's a lot of difference in any of the major players.

We will probably go with FMCA when our GS comes up for renewal! Looks like they have the best price right now!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #4

Been with Coach Net since 2006. They have towed my RV's three times and my car once. They have also found local mobile repair service providers and have talked me through problem analysis.

One time it took seven hours for a tow truck to arrive that could pull my coach out of a mud hole where we were down to the axle. They quoted three hours so near the end of three hours I called to check. I was informed that the only large tow truck in the area was busy at a multiple big rig wreck. They gave me the name of the tow company so I called and got the same info. We were in a remote area of Virginia so we waited. Reading other peoples experience with all of the RV towing plans I believe a long wait can be true of any tow service companies.

My other RV tow was within three hours even though we were in a remote area of Oregon. The third tow was from one repair facility to another and we were not there waiting.

For our car our tow came within an hour.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have been with Coach-Net for nine years and they have been great. I've used their services a few times and the are quick to get you back up. Luckily I haven't had to be towed. They also have a telephone tech service that can walk you through some fixes. Customer service is what it should be.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #6

Went the FMCA route. I hope I never have to find out whether or not it is any good. There seems to be good and bad experiences with all of them.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:24 PM   #7

To search, go to the box at the top right of the page in the green. It is a Google search so the normal search parameters will work there.

"Roadside assistance" has over 1300 responses and here is the link. https://www.google.com/search?q=%22r...=13&gws_rd=ssl

Many questions will bring back over 10,000 previous threads as some questions are asked over and over several times a week, and often daily. If I could change anything in the search it would be to limit threads by date of last posting either six months or a year. One suggestion that I make when reading through these threads is take 5-10 that are very recent and in that time you will probably have a much wider and deeper basis of knowledge and opinion than a new question as somebody who was more active on the board a month ago with a great perspective may not be on the forum for a few days, but then you will also have active members that routinely answer almost every time.

I hope that this helps you.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #8

I have had Good Sam for most of my time RVing and the good news for both GS and me is I've never had to use them. Had Coach-Net for a year and never had to use them.

The only one I had to use was when I went "cheap" and purchased Roadside through my Progressive insurance. Blew a tire and was on the phone with someone that sounded like they were still in high school and honest to God...they did not know what a motorhome was. Finally I think I got this kid to understand, and then they kept trying to send me to RV dealerships when I needed a service that could bring a tire to my location and change it out. EGADS!!! My son-in-law is in the Trucking industry, so I quit wasting my time, and called him. In 10 seconds he told me the name and number of the major regional company that could handle my situation and less than an hour later I was on my way. While that service was installing the new tire, I was online in the coach signing up for GS roadside again!!!
Old 07-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We have had good Sam for 3 years. Never had to use them until last Thursday. We broke down (bad ECM). I pulled off the highway to have dinner and the coach wouldn’t start. I didn’t realize it when I stopped, but we were in a really crappy neighbourhood. I called good Sam for a tow. They told me my membership expired at midnight that day. I said “ok, I still need a tow and the membership is still good for another 5 hours”. Their response: call back in the morning, renew your membership and we’ll authorize the tow.....are you kidding me? So that’s what we did. We renewed and were told it would take 24-72 hours for the membership to be valid and to call back then for a tow. I almost blew a gasket. After spending 3 hours on the phone with good sam, they finally agreed to send a tow truck, but weren’t gonna send a truck for my flat deck trailer even though we were told good Sam covers the trailer too. And on top of that, they would only cover $205 of a $650 tow bill even though we had been told the Mh was completely free. I cancelled the tow and ended up using my parents BCAA membership which covered both the coach and the trailer for free and took 30 mins on the phone.

We got our money back from good Sam. Bottom line: good Sam is awful. They didn’t care about us at all or our situation or where we had broken down and truly only wanted our money. It was disgraceful.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:00 PM   #10
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't recommend good Sam. When I needed a tow they wanted an additional $44.00. I had just had it for a few months so I canceled it and got back around $550.00.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have CoachNet and have been very pleased with them since 2011 when I switched from Good Sam.

As a renewing member I only pay $79 or $89 a year but new memberships are $250 for the basic coverage.

If I had to pay $250 for CoachNet, I would seriously consider FMCA's new plan for $69 plus the cost of FMCA membership. The other benefits from FMCA make it worthwhile. The Michelin tire program justifies membership alone.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:03 AM   #12

Coach Net since 2013. Used them twice - once for locksmith service and once for tire service. No issues.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:54 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CoachNet since 2012. Had three tows ( which cost me $0) and 3 light repairs that were quite reasonable. All were very prompt and professional.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:28 AM   #14

Heartland RV Club
Thank you to all who replied, looking at the FMCA roadside assistance comparison, I am going to give them a try, hoping I never have to use it.

Thanks again
7mtn is offline   Reply With Quote