Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2016, 12:49 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
The new Edge must have gained some weight my 2014 is a shade over 4000 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Well the next time I go by the truck scales on hwy 30, I will go across again to double check. My wt was 5050lbs with the 2 of us in it, I know the wife said I need to lose a few lbs
2 stroker
Well we went over the truck scales tonight and it still comes up the same weight 5050lbs gross. That gives we a net wt of 4665lbs. If these numbers are wrong then the DOT has a problem because these are the main set of scales heading North to the coast.
2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #30

10,000 allterrain on Amazon in the 750.00 range

Old 10-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have one for sale with the mag lights and everything! Now I am using Demco KarKaddy SS tow dolly.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #32
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've always used a Roadmaster. I don't know where people get the idea that the Blue Ox base plates are more hidden. On the 5 vehicles that I've installed Roadmaster base plates, they've always been hidden away. Many don't like the crossbar that Roadmaster uses, but you have to realize they make a couple of different mounts and you can buy a set that doesn't use the crossbar.

Just looking at the two tow bars, Blue Ox and Roadmaster, the Blue Ox looks like it was made by a blacksmith while the Roadmaster looks more like a modern day machined product.

We just returned from a 9 week trip. While in New Mexico, a gentle pulled with a Dutch Star while his wife was driving their GMC Canyon with a crushed hood. I spoke to them and they told me the following. They towed with a Blue Ox tow bar fro ten years, until it broke a few months ago. Blue Ox assisted him with a new one. Two weeks into towing with the new tow bar, it also broke, crashing his Canyon into his motorcycle lift.

It seems the Blue Ox has had some issues, more so than the Roadmaster.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Google "tow bar failures" and start reading. Without going into manufacturer bashing, there are definite trends on failures there.

You might also consider the Demco tow bars. Lifetime guarantee and free routine maintenance on their tow bars. You can either schedule an appointment at the factory and drop it by, they'll go through it while you watch free of charge, find them at a rally, or mail it in. Our last time it cost about $25.00 to ship it in, they replaced seals, inspected etc, and shipped it back for free! And we're the 2nd owner. Just a thought.
I'm a Demco fan too. Just got mine back from the factory (no charge) and they turned it around in 1 day. Their service is outstanding.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

We just returned from a 9 week trip. While in New Mexico, a gentle pulled with a Dutch Star while his wife was driving their GMC Canyon with a crushed hood. I spoke to them and they told me the following. They towed with a Blue Ox tow bar fro ten years, until it broke a few months ago. Blue Ox assisted him with a new one. Two weeks into towing with the new tow bar, it also broke, crashing his Canyon into his motorcycle lift.

It seems the Blue Ox has had some issues, more so than the Roadmaster.
Don,

Well said! To be fair, the aluminum Blue Ox tow bars seam to be failing at a much higher rate than the steel ones. At least from what I've seen on the internet. So maybe the steel Blue Ox tow bars would be worth a 2nd look. I may do that if I ever have a reason to change from our Demco.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #35

When would you want a Pintle hook?
Old 10-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #36
KC

We bought a Falcon 2 all Terrain in 04 and still use it. We love the unit. Very well made.

KC
Old 10-15-2016, 07:30 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
We bought a Falcon 2 all Terrain in 04 and still use it. We love the unit. Very well made.

KC
2X on the Falcon All Terrain and I used to think all tow bars were about the same
Old 10-15-2016, 07:42 AM   #38

I have a like new Roadmaster base plate kit that came off my 2010 Chevy Equinox here in south west Michigan.

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #39

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Just adding my experience

I have the Blue Ox Avail. Just a few thousand miles towing with it this summer and no surprises or problems.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #40

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Can you provide more information on what occurred?
What type of vehicle were you towing? 2016 Jeep Unlimited
Approximate weight? 4500 lbs.
Sharp turn? No
Towing straight? Yes
Safety cables functioned as designed? No. Both cables came detached. 1 cable somehow unhooked itself albeit w/bent spring tab. 2nd came loose when tab for safety cable connection on Hydralift failed, torn open by force.
Speed at time of incident? 30 mph? braking in stop / slowing traffic
I am assuming that you contacted the company, what was their response? still no final decision by Blue Ox, claim for damages still pending, 2 months post incident
Was their any inspection of the failed system? Metallurgy etc? damaged parts submitted to BLue Ox for their inspection

I really appreciate the pictures, but without context, they are pretty much just pretty pictures! Oh, by the way, my background is Aviation Safety and Accident Investigation.
And if you know that scenario, you know lawyers can use your own words against you, so I am brief in my details. I think the pictures though, speak loudly.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimacon View Post
And if you know that scenario, you know lawyers can use your own words against you, so I am brief in my details. I think the pictures though, speak loudly.

A friend of mine had a trailer hitch fail while towing a utility trailer. The hitch broke, the trailer dropped to the road, safety chains held but lots of damage to trailer and back of truck getting it to a stop. We looked it over, one side of the box frame had been welded totally around a joint, the other side had only two small "spot" or "aligning" welds on it. Oops! That's where it failed

Name brand hitch locally purchased from a dealer. He contacted dealer, took it in and presented them with the repair estimate for the truck and trailer, they looked at the hitch, said they needed to send it to factory, and have it inspected, but they had no authority to pay for the repairs. They tried to insist that he leave the hitch with them. He called me on the phone and I said hell no, don't leave it with them.

He told them that his "attorney" (no I am NOT an attorney) told him not to let the hitch out of his sight! He told them they would get the hitch when they paid the bill, or that they could sent "experts" out to inspect the hitch at his home. Also took a lot of pictures and blogged about it, totally factual with really good pics!

They sent a couple of guys out to his house, looked the hitch over, gave him a check, removed the remaining parts of the hitch from his truck and he never heard another word from them even though he wrote them asking for results of their "testing" . . . . .

I just have to wonder if he had let them take the broken hitch, would the companies response have been the same? ie; ignore his letters/phone calls, only he never would have been reimbursed for the damage?!?

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox