Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #15

Scot,
Looks like a pretty good setup. I have a concern though. And this is purely from my point of view. I would be concerned about the heat, from a rear radiatored coach, like ours which is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD, C-7 330HP CAT. And, the heat from that radiator and fan, is pretty intense. I'm not worried about that tire BLOCKING the air flow, just about the actual heat coming off that radiator. I have no idea if that heat, would effect the tire, in any way, for that long, however long it's on there and the coach is running down the road.

If you're climbing a grade, and it's over 100 out side, that's some serious heat emanating from that radiator. I suppose I could build some sort of deflector plate that would deflect all that heated air from coming in contact with the tire. But, I sure like the thought of having a spare.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #16

Oh, one other thing I should have added. I already had an unmounted spare tire, so I need to get a rim. I called an "RV Junkyard" about 40 miles from us. They quoted me $200.00 for a rim that would probably need the old junk tire removed and the rim cleaned up or sandblasted and repainted at my cost . . . I thanked them for their time and hung up.

You can purchase a new or reconditioned 22.5" x 8.25" rim on Ebay for $107.00, including shipping, but I called my local tire store that I deal with, and they said, hey, we have rims that came off of a school bus that look new, we'll make you a good deal. They suggested I drive the motor home down to guarantee that the rims were the correct ones, which I did.

Apparently there is an older style that has chamferred lug nut holes, and some that have a slightly different center hole in the rim. They verified my rims, picked out a new looking rim (black steel, but this a SPARE"! Mounted my tire and threw in a bag of balance beads, $65 for the rim, $10 to mount, and $15 for the balance beads. Including tax, $95.40 out the door!

Oh, and a second on the aluminum rim for a spare not being suitable for inner tire on rear. Don Simpson told me that as well, but I didn't know the reason why.

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #17

I am wondering now too if my tire will even fit as I have a ladder mounted off to the side.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #18

Pirate, I have a ladder mounted on my passenger side of coach. No problem.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh, and a second on the aluminum rim for a spare not being suitable for inner tire on rear. Don Simpson told me that as well, but I didn't know the reason why.[/QUOTE]

2 aluminum rims would be too thick for your lug bolts length. At least that is the case on my Ford chassis. Ford uses steel rims on the inner duals and the steel rim is ok for all positions.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:33 PM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My local shop says that installing longer wheel studs is trivial. The main reason for not using an aluminum wheel for the inner dual is cost. They will get very dirty in there too, requiring some cleaning and polishing if you rotate tires.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:27 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
My local shop says that installing longer wheel studs is trivial. The main reason for not using an aluminum wheel for the inner dual is cost. They will get very dirty in there too, requiring some cleaning and polishing if you rotate tires.

Mike
In my case Aluminum were easy to find and much cheaper than the Ford steel wheel. Salvage yards had plenty of used aluminum, but few steels, I found a steel, with a never on the ground, 2013 Michelin 255/80/22.5 XRV for $450, same tire as I have on the ground.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tire mount $595
Rim $107
Tire $450
Total $1,152

If spare not needed in 10 years replace for age another $450
So far cost is $160 a year.

A ERS for 10 years $800 and will leave you $800 to by a replacement tire if needed in those 10 years. And no need to move a heavy tire out of the way every time you want to check the oil or add some coolant.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post

Mike

Mike, that's good information, but in the event of a flat on an inside tire, you'd better have a complete set of longer wheel studs and the means to install them available!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #24

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Mike, that's good information, but in the event of a flat on an inside tire, you'd better have a complete set of longer wheel studs and the means to install them available!

The idea is that you leave home with the longer studs and alloy wheels already on there. Even in a catastrophe where you need to replace a wheel on the road, and no alloy wheels are readily available, the longer studs will work fine with the steel wheels.

Mike
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Be sure you understand whether the wheel registers on the studs or hub. An aluminum inner rim replacing a steel inner moves the outside out further. If it is a hub register that can be a big concern.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #26

Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier

So, I bought one. I'm not sure yet if I am going to keep it, however. The carrier seems well made, but on my MH, a 2001 Monoco Windsor, I cannot raise the engine compartment door without removing the entire carrier - a task that I don't wish to perform every time I want to check the oil. This Windsor does have two other receiver's on the back end - spread to either side of the main receiver - and one of them would allow for the door to open, but it puts the spare tire carrier at about the same level as my tow bar and could cause some serious issues on even a "not-so-tight" left turn. I'm going to take the entire rig down to my local RV dealer and see if they could extend my main receiver to get it out far enough to allow the door to open. However, I'm afraid this extension could weaken the rating of the hitch (not to mention extending the total length of my rig past the 60ft max for my home state) and I still want to tow my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited behind all of this. I really like having the spare off to the side, but I'm not sure there is an answer to the problem of having the tow bar hit the spare tire carrier on turns.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #27

iRV2 No Limits Club
I wonder how that would work with a 10" wide rim and a 365/70 like my fronts and tag or a 315/80 on a 9.5" rim on the drive axle? All my rims, even the inner duals are aluminum. Since I live 10 miles from RoadMaster I guess I could drive over there and have them check it, but it's still leave me needing to carry two different wheels and tires.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpearsall View Post
So, I bought one. I'm not sure yet if I am going to keep it, however. The carrier seems well made, but on my MH, a 2001 Monoco Windsor, I cannot raise the engine compartment door without removing the entire carrier - a task that I don't wish to perform every time I want to check the oil. This Windsor does have two other receiver's on the back end - spread to either side of the main receiver - and one of them would allow for the door to open, but it puts the spare tire carrier at about the same level as my tow bar and could cause some serious issues on even a "not-so-tight" left turn. I'm going to take the entire rig down to my local RV dealer and see if they could extend my main receiver to get it out far enough to allow the door to open. However, I'm afraid this extension could weaken the rating of the hitch (not to mention extending the total length of my rig past the 60ft max for my home state) and I still want to tow my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited behind all of this. I really like having the spare off to the side, but I'm not sure there is an answer to the problem of having the tow bar hit the spare tire carrier on turns.
A hitch extender would solve your problem Curt Hitch Extender for 2" Hitch Receivers - 8" Long Curt Hitch Accessories C45791
since you are using a towbar it won't effect your tongue weight load.