RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2019, 05:53 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Roadmaster spare tire carrier alternative

This is a specific question, not intended to start a spare tire debate.

I like the design of the Roadmaster hitch mounted spare tire carrier but not the $600 price tag. I specifically like the way the carrier is welded directly on top of the 2" square solid steel bar and the receiver extension is welded on below the bar. This mounts the tire as close as possible to the motor home receiver which is good. At this point I only intend to mount a two bicycle carrier in the receiver extension (total weight of carrier and two bikes is under 100#) I can find many simple, non-movable spare tire carriers ($90 to $140) welded directly on the solid steel bar but after a LOT of searching I have not even found ONE with a receiver extension mounted below like the Roadmaster.
Does anyone have or know of a simple tire carrier with this design?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2019, 06:14 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I have seen the Roadmaster unit and it is very neat if you want to carry a 22.5 spare. I haven't seen anything comparable

Old 11-29-2019, 05:10 PM   #3

I cannot offer any info on other Spare Tire carriers but I can tell you I bought the Roadmaster and think it's pretty slick. It is a 10k lb rated device that inserts into your receiver - hopefully you can get it to the 2nd hole in the carrier. The pic below is before I had the new hitch made and I could only get the carrier into the 1st hole, which added more lever affect. The design of the carrier and the way it lets you lower the tire to the ground is well thought out. Worth the money (you get what you pay for).

The carrier weighs about 70 lbs. Not sure what size tires your Thor has but my 22.5 weigh about 150lbs mounted. So add that to the 70 pounds and the 220lbs is tongue weight. Bikes won't add much weight. Just make sure you have a good hitch on your rig. Mine came with a 4k lb rated hitch and I replaced it with a custom built hitch so I didn't have to worry about towing our Jeep.
If you're going to eventually be towing a vehicle and your Thor is on a gasser chassis, your hitch will be higher than mine. I had to install a riser adapter to get my tow bar level with the jeep tow connections.
Again, I am happy with my purchase and it performs as designed. I can deadlift the 150lb spare with the extended handle they have designed into the carrier. If you are frail or not very strong, it could be an issue to lift the spare. If you're on a gasser chassis then the engine is usually in the front, so you may not ever have to lower your spare. I have to lower it to check fluids on my DP. I'm in my mid 60s and go to the gym a couple times a week to keep my body strong and this carrier is one reason I do.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:31 PM   #4

Built my Own Spare carrier

I also liked the roadmaster but couldn't stand the price either so I just finished building my own,made it to bolt to my 6" drop 10,000 lbs rated receiver,then my Blue ox tow bar.tow bar, levering the 22.5 aluminum wheel and 295-80-22.5 tire up is a tough lift from the waist up, but it seems to work awesome,heading west soon we will see if I built it tough enough .
hardint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:45 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies. I have a front engine coach with 19.5" wheels but if I had a rear engine diesel and the larger wheels I would probably go with the Roadmaster too. Like I said, I think it is a great design, just too many $$$. I am looking for the more lightweight and cheap alternative that I described in my post above, but if it turns out to be some kind of unicorn then I will weld up my own. At least then it will be exactly what I need.
Thanks again for the replies.
-Ken
Old 11-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #6

I see the carrier price @$441 @ etrailer. I think I paid around that for mine, not the $600 you mentioned. Shop around - probably could have gotten a Black Friday deal on it.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:17 PM   #7

I have a Roadmaster carrier, itís built like a tank and for all the trouble it would be to make something comparable I think itís well worth the money. It does require some strength to lift a 22.5Ē tire into the ride position and in reality itís still only a fraction of the weight of the tire as it pivots on the hitch. I honestly donít see how it could be improved. The lift is doable and Iím very happy with the carrier.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:33 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I see the carrier price @$441 @ etrailer. I think I paid around that for mine, not the $600 you mentioned. Shop around - probably could have gotten a Black Friday deal on it.

I am guessing from the price that you purchased tne Roadmaster 195125 rather than the 195225. From what I can tell, the 195125 is designed for smaller tires and the 195225 is for 22.5". Unfortunately, the street price for the 195225 has jumped to $595. I am guessing due to steel tariffs, as a lot of heavy steel items seem more expensive lately.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:26 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you for the information waterman480. I have not purchased a spare tire carrier yet, and was not aware there were different models of the Roadmaster. I found the 195125 online at etrailer.com for $379.95 with free shipping. I think this is the one I need for my 19.5" wheels and definitely more reasonable in price than the heavier model which I had been looking at. This one does not have the offset receiver like the heavier one but I think might still work well for my purpose.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:56 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Update:
I did some research at the Roadmaster website and maybe I would need the heavier model for my wheels after all.

Q/A from the website:
"What is Max Weight Capacity and Wheel Size That Roadmaster Spare Carrier 195125 Can Handle?
The Roadmaster Spare Carrier # RM-195125 has a maximum pull capacity of 6,000 lbs and a maximum tongue weight of 200 lbs and can accommodate up to a 16.5 inch tire.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:59 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
wouldn't waste the money, chuck the tire in the basement and don't worry about it. I would make sure you have the tools to lift the coach and a 6 foot pry bar that can remove the lug nuts along with an electronic torque wrench to properly reinstall the lug nuts.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman480 View Post
I am guessing from the price that you purchased tne Roadmaster 195125 rather than the 195225. From what I can tell, the 195125 is designed for smaller tires and the 195225 is for 22.5". Unfortunately, the street price for the 195225 has jumped to $595. I am guessing due to steel tariffs, as a lot of heavy steel items seem more expensive lately.
I bought the 195225 model - I bought a few years ago, so maybe they've gone up.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
wouldn't waste the money, chuck the tire in the basement and don't worry about it. I would make sure you have the tools to lift the coach and a 6 foot pry bar that can remove the lug nuts along with an electronic torque wrench to properly reinstall the lug nuts.
That may work on your coach but the 22.5 tires won't fit in my basement. I have the tools and torque multiplier if need be.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:47 PM   #14
WDW

Roadmaster spare tire carrier alternative

I have one in the (house) basement that I do not use and would love to have someone adopt!

I donít think itís a wise investment for a gas Coach with a 5000 rated hitch. Thatís what I installed it on , but after an extended 800 mile trip I came to believe there was a potential for failure of the whole hitch system because of the added extra weight, vibration, etc.

In our case we used a pick up truck style spare tire hoist and had a custom design mount installed underneath the coach. Much better weight distribution and does not impact the hitch.

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roadmaster