Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #1

Roadside Assistance

Hi everyone. Just checking to see what kind, if any, of travel / roadside assistance you are using. I received numerous offers from Good Sam and what they offer seems to be pretty good, but I've also heard horror stories about GS. We just recently upgraded to a 2015 Thor Palazzo Model 36.1 (37') DP and haven't had much time on the road yet, but we do hopefully plan on traveling a good bit in 2019 and beyond. Is Good Sam roadside assistance worth it, or is there something "bigger and better" out there that we can look into? Or, are they a total waste of time and money? Thanks loads.

gjbales is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I've heard both good and bad about Good Sam and I had them for a couple of years but never needed the service. I now have CoachNet for peace of mind and hope I never need them either.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #3

Ditto on Coach-Net. In 4 years, never needed to call for roadside assistance.

The sounds you hear are knuckles rapping on wood.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #4

I planned to sign up with AAA and add the RV coverage in the Spring when we hit the road
Even covering two drivers and lotsa cars, AAA won't cost the $249 of CoachNet.

How well does AAA coverage work?
What am I missing?
1991 Clarion by Coachmen #143 (for sale)
2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2551
pilotmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #5

I don't know if it's "bigger or better" but I went with Progressive insurance. Motor home insurance is pretty expensive and I shopped all the big names that included road assistance. I thought Progressive had the best coverage, with road side assistance and towing. If you are a USAA member you also get a nice discount since they are part of the same company. Although I have never needed it, I don't mind paying just for the peace of mind while I'm driving through the middle of nowhere.
31NDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've had nothing but CoachNet and will continue to use it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #7

I bit the bullet and got Coach Net because of the consistently positive reviews when they were needed. Yes, the initial cost is expensive, but successive years runs less ( I forgot exactly, but around $169/year, I think.) People often recommend FMCA because of the low price, $60/year, but you must be a FMCA member which is an additional $60/year, putting the total cost close to Coach Net.

As far as AAA, coverage is determined by each regional chapter (Southern California Auto Club is independent from Northern California Auto Club, for example, and provides different levels of services) and varies in quality depending on where the break down happens, is my understanding.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #8

The one time I needed road side assistance I used my CoachNet. They had the proper size wrecker to me within 90 minutes. The driver was very professional and careful when he hooked up to the coach. The wrecker towed my coach over 90 miles to the nearest Freightliner dealer that worked on motorhomes. My cost for the tow was $40, a tip to the driver and his helper, for such professional service. That sold me on CoachNet.

The problem with AAA and most insurance tow programs is they don't know what's involved towing a motorhome. Their contractors are not setup to handle anything that size. So often you are left to find your own tow company and then file for reimbursement and then you're told about the small print exclusions.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #9

I have Good Sam.

I have had my light vehicles towed on three different occasions and each time I was very happy with the service.

I have not had my RV towed.

Be aware that Good Sam changed their coverage of RV’s with their cheaper policies. So be sure to read the fine print.

Prices are comparable to FMCA after membership fees, etc.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:48 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have been with GS Roadside Assistance since 2000 but plan to change to FMCA at the next renewal!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Roadside Assistance

I have Coach-Net I have two years left out of a five-year program I’ve only used them once however in town near my house to give me a jump in the winter on my car. They sent a guy in a van with out of state license plates to give me a jump start just a subcontractor in a case like this to find the cheapest person to do the job. We have AAA too at the time but I wanted to give them a try to see how it went.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #12

We got a 1-yr complementary membership to CoachNet when we purchased our used coach, last spring.

Wouldn't you know it, we popped a brake line on the way to the dealer to get it serviced before winter. Called CoachNet and they handled everything. The tow company called me a while later and I just told them where she was and where I left the keys. Never heard another word.

I'm sold and will renew this year.
empty_nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I would compare the fine print and details with Coach-Net and FMCA you probably wouldn’t go wrong with either one
Old 01-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Don't forget that the roadside service is just a dispatcher that arranges for local services wherever you happen to be. They can't make a truck magically appear in 15 minutes if you have a breakdown in West Podunk on a busy summer Sunday afternoon. Nor can they do much if the local service is surly or charges excessively for extra (tires or whatever). No matter which dispatching service you choose, they are probably going to be calling the same local company(s) to get you the help you need.

There are some differences in the plans offered, though, so make sure you understand what is in each. And they do change from year to year, so be careful re-compare if the plans or the rates change.

I personally think that Coach Net service has gone downhill since they became part of NMC. And their prices went up at the same time.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote