Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #1

Roadside Assistance

views on best and worst plans
bigslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslim View Post
views on best and worst plans
I had the same question. You'll probably find what you are looking for thru search. That said, I originally signed up with Good Sam, but then read so many bad reviews that I switched to FMCA. Regardless of who you go with there will be someone who was not happy with their service. Good luck with your search and enjoy your camper.
MaxB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have had Good Sam Roadside Assistance since 2000, but will be changing to FMCA on the next renewal date. Much less expensive and FMCA has other valuable member benefits!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #4

I have Good Sam. The one time I called them because my motorhome would not start, they sent a guy who was on his way somewhere else. He didn't even have jumper cables, just a small battery pack that didn't do the job. He left and said he'd get someone else to help me. Needless to say, I was not impressed. I think I'll look elsewhere when I need to renew.

P.S. I managed to get my motorhome started after he left by holding the key in the start position and let it crank away for far longer than normal. Perhaps his battery pack actually gave me a little extra charge?
Old 11-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Voice of experience here ... AAA doesn't always have contracts with tow services who can manage big DPs. Also, FMCA (which is a good organization offering many bennies) has roadside that apparently excludes post-accident towing. So it took us 13 hours to get towed to repair shop, at a cost of $2k out of pocket, then 10 weeks to get reimbursed. Then a few weeks later they sent us another check. LOL, had to return that. Coachnet is twice the cost but with my coach wrecked on the side of the road I was wishing I'd gone that route. Maybe they're not really any better but I'm about to change over to give them a try.
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #6

Check with your insurance company to see if they offer coverage. There are only so many towing services in any given area and they all work for the same RSS companies. If you have a new Ford based mh you get 5 years RSS for zero.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:55 PM   #7

Howdy!

I view most of the post on RV forums regarding road side assistance. We had Good Sam before and they stiffed us with a $2,000.00 towing bill. We switched to Coach Net. we’ve had CN for several years and they have provided us with great service on several occasions and never let us down.they may cost more than the others but we gotten what we’ve paid for. Out of al the post I’e seen with complaints regarding ERS services I don’t see CN having that many as the others.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #8

I used my State Farm vehicle insurance to tow our coach 52 miles. It was a bit after dark thirty and we were broke down in a very questionable area to say the least. During my call, they asked about our safety and then notified the local police to make checks on us. I was very pleased about the towing experience.

Our total cost was less than $50 (the cost for the towing rider)
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

I view most of the post on RV forums regarding road side assistance. We had Good Sam before and they stiffed us with a $2,000.00 towing bill. We switched to Coach Net. we’ve had CN for several years and they have provided us with great service on several occasions and never let us down.they may cost more than the others but we gotten what we’ve paid for. Out of al the post I’e seen with complaints regarding ERS services I don’t see CN having that many as the others.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

x2 on CoachNet. Call center is based in the U.S. and English is their first language.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
After some research, we covered our last coach with Coach Net.

While at a gas station on a Sunday, the RV died at the pump. Called CN and they towed it next door to get it out of the station. Next day, they sent a larger wrecker to tow it to a repair station. Another time, CN sent a truck with a new tire and we were back on the road in two hours after an inside rear flat.

Can't imagine any better service, so we went with CN again for our current coach. Hope to never use it.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
After some research, we covered our last coach with Coach Net.

While at a gas station on a Sunday, the RV died at the pump. Called CN and they towed it next door to get it out of the station. Next day, they sent a larger wrecker to tow it to a repair station. Another time, CN sent a truck with a new tire and we were back on the road in two hours after an inside rear flat.

Can't imagine any better service, so we went with CN again for our current coach. Hope to never use it.
What did the rear flat end up costing you?

I had Good Sam roadside service, had an inside rear blow out near Birmingham, Al. Called the Good Sam and in a timely manner a mobile unit pulls up with a new 295/22.5 Goodyear tire and fixes me up. I get a bill for $1100.00 from the tire repair guy. Looking over the itemized bill, the roadside service only pays the $40.00 for the service call. Tire, labor etc. etc. is my responsibility.

After that I decided I didn't need a roadside service plan.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #12

Some things to consider when choosing a roadside assistance plan.

I
  • Is there a maximum number of miles they will tow you?
  • Will they only tow you to the nearest place that works on vehicles, or will they tow you to the nearest qualified repair service center that can take your size rig?
  • Will they tow you if you are broke down in a campground or will they only tow you if you are on a public highway?
  • Will they pay for on site mechanics labor charges to get you going? Like tire changing, simple fixes like filters, door unlocking etc.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grldst View Post
What did the rear flat end up costing you?

I had Good Sam roadside service, had an inside rear blow out near Birmingham, Al. Called the Good Sam and in a timely manner a mobile unit pulls up with a new 295/22.5 Goodyear tire and fixes me up. I get a bill for $1100.00 from the tire repair guy. Looking over the itemized bill, the roadside service only pays the $40.00 for the service call. Tire, labor etc. etc. is my responsibility.

After that I decided I didn't need a roadside service plan.

Wow, that’s terrible. I had GS got real tired of them, I switched to CN. I also got there road hazard policy for a 100.00 bucks extra, but that will pay full for up to 2 tires and rims if needed, plus I had GS medical that was extra and it is included in your CN policy. My peace of mind is worth the money. They will also come to your camp site, GS is no on that. I hope I don’t need them but to me it’s worth the money. They all use the same company’s but when GS sent a guy in a car out to change my tire and then he asked if I had a jack. That was the last straw with GS for me. I said no and he said he didn’t either. Told me to call GS back, that’s after waiting 3 hrs already for him. I called a local tow company paid them cash and GS refused to pay for it. So good bye to them.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have GS. We got locked out of the MH in Sevierville July 2, we talked back and forth on the phone for 4 hours to no avail. Still haven't heard back yet.