Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #1

Roadside assistance programs

I am looking at two different roadside assistance programs - Good Sam's program and AAA Plus RV. I would like to hear of your experience in using either of these for assistance. Trying to avoid further problems should the situation arise where it was necessary to call for assistance. Thanks, Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #2

When we looked at AAA they were not nationwide - each region was independent and some offered RV coverage and some did not. When we had Good Sam we found the service mediocre. We have been with Coach Net for several years and used them three or four times. Their service to us has been superb.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
AAA is not for Class As. They will not change the inside tire on a dually. A few years ago in LaCrosse, WI we sat on the shoulder for six hours waiting for AAA to find a service that would come out to change our tire... and he had to drive from over 100 miles away. We cancelled AAA immediately.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #4

Look at ALLSTATE'S RV ROAD SERVICE.I have used these folks since 1993.Unlimited towing ,and all your vehcles plus your RV is covered for 109.00 per year.I have found their service to be Impecable.I had to be towed once and acording to the tow truck operator ,this was the best RV program he had seen and he was familier with about all of them.If interested,their phone number is 1-800-786-2277 or visit www.allstatemoterclub.com. Hope this helps!!!! RED
Old 04-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had AAA RV Plus on my first Class A MH and they couldn't get me a repair service for nothing, all they wanted to do was tow it!. At the time I even knew what the problem was but all they could do was tow. The last guy they gave "Me" to call was a Body Shop, luckily he knew someone who would do road repairs. I called him,told him the problem,he bought the parts and fixed it and I was on my way.
What really annoyed me about them was that I had to sign up my wife and kids just to get the RV Plus. AAA was totaly useless in my opinion and I switched to CoachNet, they've been great the few times I needed them and their technical phone help is superb.

Hope this helps......
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #6

I also use Allstate's RV Roadhelp service, but I think that, Good Sam, and CoachNet are probably very similar. All of these offer 'unlimited mileage' towing to the nearest capable service station. AAA does not offer unlimited mileage (only 100 miles for RVs and motorcycles, and even that requires their premium service offering), but does have one advantage in that they will tow to the destination of your choice, not merely the closest capable station. So it depends on which you value more, your choice of destination or unlimited mileage. Having choice of my destination really appeals to me but 100 miles just isn't enough for travel in the west so I had to remove AAA from my list of options. If you travel primarily in the east the mileage limitation may not be as much of a problem.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #7

Would also like to know which one is good for 5th wheels.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had Good Sam for 9 years and used them 3 times. Every time the call was answered quickly and followed up until I got service. Never had Coach Net but GS has been great for me. Would not leave home without it.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You didn't ask about coach-net but we have had it for 3 years and have needed it once. Excellent service.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #10

I really think you should look at your traveling itenerary and all the possibilities of where you might want to go. After you decide on that then shop for a service. We mostly travel the Carolinas and Florida. AAA Plus has been really good for us.They have service centers in these areas and when there is a problem they cannot handle they will and do find a solution. I do not think there is a 100 percent guaranteed service anywhere. If all you get is a tow in some places it will certainly cover the annual fee and have you in a place safe and near services
Old 04-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
AAA

A few years ago I was comparing and noted that AAA had a limited distance that they would tow you. I forget the distance, but in some states that would not even be the distance of one exit.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have had excellent service from Allstate RV Roadhelp. Allstate now handles dispatch for GS. Remember, in the middle of nowhere, if Larry, Daryl and Daryl towing is the only one available it won't matter who your provider is.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
No doubt--Coach-Net.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
Have had excellent service from Allstate RV Roadhelp. Allstate now handles dispatch for GS. Remember, in the middle of nowhere, if Larry, Daryl and Daryl towing is the only one available it won't matter who your provider is.
Yep, they all call the same people.