Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

Roadside assistance providers

I've read a lot of the posts concerning good & bad experiences with different carriers, but this is a different question: Do you all tend to use just one company at a time or do you have several? My current agreement with Good Sam expires this month and we have not had to use them. From what I read, I'm leaning towards the FMCA provider and Coach-Net, with coverage by both. Annual cost is pretty minimal to have one additional and it may be a "Belt & suspenders" overkill, but my thought is that if in a jam it may make sense to have two options. Any thoughts? Thanks.
neilnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #2

I have always felt one provider is sufficient. When you make a call for help, the local wrecker/mechanic is probably contracted with most assistance providers. So having multiple memberships would probably result in multiple calls to the same repair outfit. Rural areas do not have an over abundance of heavy duty wreckers and low boy flat bed trailers just sitting awaiting a call.

Fortunately I have only had to make one call to Coach Net. The results were positive with a very large wrecker dispatched for a tow.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have subscribed to CoachNet roadside since we bought our coach three years ago. I've called them three times with prompt, professional results.

About 18 months ago I also joined the Good Sam program as a backup, following a forum discussion in which it was pointed out that most of these providers will only respond once to any single event. So if, for example, the provider sends a mobile tech to you as a service call, that's one. If that tech now determines that a tow is required, that would be response two to the same failure. They'll send a tow, but at your expense.

As it happened, about four months later I had an engine mounted air compressor failure, and I called Good Sam. I was fully immobilized 40 miles from the nearest facility, but they staunchly refused to send a tow. They insisted that the compressor could be field changed, even though they could not find even one shop that would accept the assignment. So I thanked them kindly and called CoachNet, who placed a tow truck in front of my coach within an hour.

So, what have you learned, Dorothy? Well, it can be a good idea to have two carriers, particularly if one of them is GS. Needless to say I did not renew my GS plan, and I am still carrying only one plan.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I have subscribed to CoachNet roadside since we bought our coach three years ago. I've called them three times with prompt, professional results.

About 18 months ago I also joined the Good Sam program as a backup, following a forum discussion in which it was pointed out that most of these providers will only respond once to any single event. So if, for example, the provider sends a mobile tech to you as a service call, that's one. If that tech now determines that a tow is required, that would be response two to the same failure. They'll send a tow, but at your expense.

As it happened, about four months later I had an engine mounted air compressor failure, and I called Good Sam. I was fully immobilized 40 miles from the nearest facility, but they staunchly refused to send a tow. They insisted that the compressor could be field changed, even though they could not find even one shop that would accept the assignment. So I thanked them kindly and called CoachNet, who placed a tow truck in front of my coach within an hour.

So, what have you learned, Dorothy? Well, it can be a good idea to have two carriers, particularly if one of them is GS. Needless to say I did not renew my GS plan, and I am still carrying only one plan.
It is so hit and miss! I have heard good and down right ugly about mostly Coach Net and Good Sam. I had Coach Net and they left us stranded along the side of the road and wouldn't get us any help. I dropped them and got GS who responded right away when our air brakes went out. I think it might just be a matter of who is working the call center when you call. Some operators are great, some just don't care and it doesn't seem to matter who they work for. maybe it is a good idea to have two!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:45 AM   #5

I have two. One is with my extended warranty, the other came with my Progressive Insurance policy. I've only used the Progressive one with great outcomes each time, and at only $24 dollars a year as a rider on my policy it's well worth it to me.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:19 AM   #6

roadside assistance ins.

I've had Coachnet close to nine years, used them once and they were very resonsive, friendly and did what they were suppose to do. Even when the tow truck operator damaged my hitch receiver on my old Bounder, they were concerned and wanted to send a adjuster out to check it out. I believe I will stay with them.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post

Well, , not good news for me , as we just signed up to Good Sam. I had debated about coach net. There are just some things a backyard mechanic of 50 years can't do .
2005 Safari Cat C7, 38PDQ.
bruxus47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:33 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use Coach Net and AAA RV Plus. What one doesn't cover the other might and the annual coast is minimal. The AAA RV Plus also covers my motorcycles.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #9

Smile

Good input from all and thanks. I'm thinking Coach-Net plus FMCA and will hope for the best. I mean, what can happen when travelling in an RV.....Right??
neilnoff is offline   Reply With Quote