Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 02:56 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for a roadside assistance company? Or even who not to use?
I carry coachnet and AAA RV Plus. Haven't had to use them and hopefully never will. Better safe than sorry though.

'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 04:03 AM   #16

Goodsam / AAA Plus for us

05 MADP 4301
2014 Ford FX4 Crew
Blue Ox tow bar
Air Force One
Billy & Jeannie & Clyde The Poodle

Old 05-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CoachNet, three years, recommend unequivocally.

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #18

I have Good Sam roadside assistance and had to use them 3 times last year with good response. However... Do not call a tow service first! They will not cover the bill after the fact. Only reason I was reimbursed was because Border Patrol ordered me out of their checkpoint area pronto! This was specifically adressed in their policy.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:23 PM   #19

This is for my state. I think it may be the same all around. Maybe not:

https://michigan.aaa.com/membership/...-types/771.uts

Only the Basic plan excludes dual wheeled/winch/tire coverage...

I have Plus which covers all of that.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
I think it may be the same all around.
It's not. AAA is organized as a bunch of local clubs. There is a lot of commonality between them, and a membership in one local club gives reciprocity to others. But, they are not all the same, and different local clubs can have variations in their offerings and services.

Unfortunately, they make it hard to compare: you gave a link to the Michigan AAA club, but when I click on it, I immediately get redirected to my local NY club. It appears that the first time you go to aaa.com it asks you for your zip code and forevermore redirects you to your local club. I'm sure there's a way to change your "home" club, but I didn't find it immediately.

Quote:
Only the Basic plan excludes dual wheeled/winch/tire coverage...

I have Plus which covers all of that.
Actually, you have Plus/RV. I finally did get to the Michigan AAA site (using another computer) and it looks like they only offer three levels:
  • Basic
  • Plus/RV
  • Premier/RV
As an example of the differences between local clubs, mine offers five levels:
  • Basic
  • Plus
  • Plus/RV
  • Premier
  • Premier/RV
If you don't have the RV option, you don't get your dual wheeled RV serviced, even if you have the Plus or Premier levels.

Now, what happens if you are traveling in an area that doesn't offer the RV option? I believe you're out of luck if you're in your motorhome. (At least that used to be the case, I don't know if there are areas now that don't offer the RV option.)

This is all an important reminder to read the fine print of any Roadside Assistance program: they all have various limitations, make sure you know what you're getting. They all sound great when you read their brochures or web pages, but be sure to look at the details.

Remember: the bold print giveth, and the fine print taketh away!
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #21

HAD AAA, until after getting stuck in mud in my own yard and informing them of weight and length on my RV they sent a small truck with inexperienced driver who made my situation worse. Called AAA and reminded them I had RV Plus coverage and was told it was now a recovery situation and not covered. Cost me $ 350.00. Now have Good Sam. In addition AAA refused to help pull 4 wheel drive pickup out of ice because it had a snow plow attached. This was not a commercial truck. Cost me $250.00. Good Sam pulled me out this year same situation no problem, no charge.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Now, what happens if you are traveling in an area that doesn't offer the RV option? I believe you're out of luck if you're in your motorhome. (At least that used to be the case, I don't know if there are areas now that don't offer the RV option.)

This is all an important reminder to read the fine print of any Roadside Assistance program: they all have various limitations, make sure you know what you're getting. They all sound great when you read their brochures or web pages, but be sure to look at the details.

Remember: the bold print giveth, and the fine print taketh away!
Something else to clarify with my AAA friends. I will post what they tell me...
Old 05-19-2015, 09:47 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
had coach net now for 6 years, used it twice...each time was outstanding
worth the price
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:23 AM   #24

The Premier RV plan covers you in all states, the only issue is if not in a covered state you pay out of pocket and get reimbursed by AAA when you give them your receipt. They tow all MH's, Class A's and C's only if you have the separate coverage for RV towing, the standard towing policy is the one that does not tow vehicle with dual rear wheels.

I have confirmed this twice now with AAA and family that works for AAA. Why on earth would they sell a policy for RV's that does not cover Dual rear wheel towing, how many Class A's or Class C's have you seen without dual rear wheels. You are either misinformed by reading the regular standard policy or reading old outdated material.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:46 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry to say I have had to use Good Sam twice in the last 6 months. The first time I had transmission problems and they (called around) and found a MB dealer that could handle my RV. Had to be towed about 45 miles. Nothing was ever said about my duel tires in the rear. So far I think GS is great. Now if they call me and say I'm costing them to much---we will see.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:41 AM   #26

Good Sam pays for Service Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We have Good Sam. They will tell you that all you need to take care of is the parts and labor when they send someone out. What they fail to tell you is they will pay a road side assistance tech to go to your location, NOT back to their shop. Most all of them will charge time both ways.
Good Sam covers the service calls, which covers the transportation to and from the location. Some of the mobile mechanics are not honest about it. We used the service once in 4 years. The mechanic's plan was to drive to our location, identify what parts were needed, drive an hour back to a place to get parts, return, and install. Instead my DH told him what bolts and cleaning spray to bring. He was boots on the ground for about 50 minutes (during which time he took several phone calls). Under my DH's supervision he made emergency repairs sufficient to get us home, where it could be properly fixed without having to pay $200+ just to chase parts.

The mechanic then billed for two hours labor + "shop supplies". When I questioned why the extra hour, he claimed it was because I requested he bring parts out also saying GS doesn't pay enough.

I contacted GS to ask if the mechanic was telling me straight. They said NO and backed it by asking how much I was charged then offering to send immediate reimbursement or accept an extra year of service. Impossible for them to control all the providers, but their excellent response kept me as a customer.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:55 AM   #27

GS covers cost for drive shaft installation after a tow

GS reimbursed the expense.

GS had difficult finding us a tow last year. We had to accept one company that said up front they wanted and extra $100 (claiming GS only pays for 2 hrs hook-up and it takes them 3 hrs). GS tapes all the service calls. I made it very clear to the dispatcher that I would pay the $100 but expect to be reimbursed.

I didn't realize when they take out the drive shaft to tow, they don't reinstall it. The repair shop charged $75 to reinstall it.

GS has reimbursement claim forms on the website. I filed the form, sent receipts, and received $175 reimbursement within a reasonable time frame with no quibbling. Had there not been some problems over what would be towed and the extra $100 charged, I wouldn't have contacted GS and found out that reinstalling the drive shaft is covered. They want the repair facility to do it, to make sure it is done right vs expecting the tow company to put it back in.

Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote