Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2015, 09:46 PM   #1

Roadside Assistance Recomendations

Does anyone have suggestions for a roadside assistance company? Or even who not to use?

TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2015, 10:04 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good Sam and Coachnet seem to get the most recommendations. A lot depends on where you break down on the quality of service you will receive.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
There are two camps here:
Those that had Good Sam and for one reason or another got mad and went to Coach Net

Then those that had Coach Net and then got mad and changed to Good Sam for one reason or another..

I have had Coach Net since '99 and they have never let me down
Old 05-16-2015, 10:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I carry my insurance with AARP/The Hartford which includes Road Service. I have used it 3 times in the last 8 years with good response time. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:19 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've only had CoachNet and I've been very happy with their service. They not only cover my RV, but with my plan, they cover everything that I drive. They rescued me and my jeep, me and my travel trailer and, me and my Vespa up in the hills of nowhere where I had to get a ride down off the hill to get cell reception. They saved my butt several times and, as a result, they have me as a loyal customer.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:40 AM   #6

My roadside assistance is a rider on my Progressive policy. Only $24 a year, and we've needed them 3 times in our 5yrs. of fulltiming. Never a hitch, even in Destruction Bay, Yukon Territory in 2012.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have Good Sam. They will tell you that all you need to take care of is the parts and labor when they send someone out. What they fail to tell you is they will pay a road side assistance tech to go to your location, NOT back to their shop. Most all of them will charge time both ways.

Can anyone tell me if Coach net does the same?

We found out later after paying way too much for service that we also have the progressive rider on our policy. Done with GS.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for a roadside assistance company? Or even who not to use?
Be aware that Good Same will not cover you if you are a commercial venture. On the off-chance that you may have show dogs (or cats) be aware that Good Sam considers having show dogs as a commercial venture, and will therefore not cover you. That caused us to cross Good Sam right off of the list of potential vendors. For the record, unless you are a big name dog handler, showing dogs is NOT a commercial venture, it's a very expensive hobby - just like RVing!

AAA offers an RV option on their road service. Be aware that it does NOT cover RVs with dual wheels (which eliminates most motorhomes.) It seems to be aimed primarily at trailers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Can anyone tell me if Coach net does the same?
When I had a flat tire, I had to pay:
  • The cost of the replacement tire
  • $40 tire change fee
  • $10 scrap tire disposal fee
CoachNet covered all other charges, and were very professional in handling the situation. That included hourly calls from them to update me on status, and a follow-up call to make sure that everything was handled to my satisfaction, which it was.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #9

Alot does depend on where you are...i was broke down on I95 Northbound in Glen Burnie Maryland. Good Sam couldnt find anybody to tow us to the Cummins shop...Called Progressive and they found us a tow truck.
speerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #10

[QUOTE=ShapeShifter;2559935]
AAA offers an RV option on their road service. Be aware that it does NOT cover RVs with dual wheels (which eliminates most motorhomes.) It seems to be aimed primarily at trailers?

Who told you that, I believe that info is wrong, they will tow Class A MH's and will provide assistance in getting tire service if needed. I just checked my info on the flyer and it does cover Motorhomes and there is no disclaimer on dual wheels, In fact it lists Motorhomes, Class C , and trailers. I also called my son who works for AAA and he said it does cover Class A MH's as they are probably the biggest pool of people who buy the additional RV coverage. It's only $37 per year plus whatever basic plan you have.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #11

I have Geico and the road service is part of the policy, Talked with them and motorhomes are no problem, tire repair and so on. Anyone else use them? Anyone ever use their road service?
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Who told you that, I believe that info is wrong, they will tow Class A MH's and will provide assistance in getting tire service if needed.
AAA Member Handbook on page 16: (bold emphasis added by me.)

Quote:
Eligible Vehicles
Service applies to all properly licensed four-wheeled motor vehicles of the passenger, pleasure or recreational type (vans, campers and motor homes) regardless of license plate designation--if those services can be safely delivered.

Dual-wheeled campers/motor homes are eligible for all services except towing, extrication/winching and tire service. Dual-wheeled unloaded pickup trucks are eligible for all services. Dual-wheeled vans, utility, boat and snowmobile trailers are not eligible for service. Rented passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles are eligible for service, with the exception of taxi cabs and limousines.

AAA Plus/RV® and AAA Premier/RV® members receive extended vehicle coverage for all services to include motorcycles, motor homes, pickup trucks with campers, and 5th wheel travel trailers.
It explicitly excludes dual wheel motor homes from the services that I consider most important. Although, depending on how you read that last paragraph, it looks like the RV option might override that? I don't remember reading that the last time I looked into it a few years back.

So perhaps that isn't an issue, but the other thing I heard about the RV option is that it is not available in all areas. If you break down in your motor home and the local AAA club for that area doesn't have an RV option, you are likely to be out of luck. Based on the above they appear to have made some changes over the years, I don't know how much of an issue this last part is now. Does anyone know for sure whether the RV option is valid everywhere AAA is valid?
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #13

They are all only as good as the contract station they send out. If you follow the many threads all have fallen down or completely collapse at times. All have been responsive at times. I had AAA and CoachNet and had a "fall down" from each. I currently have Good Sam. Also FMCA now contracts with someone.
Pick one, and hope you never have to use them.
Happy Trails.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
AAA Member Handbook on page 16: (bold emphasis added by me.)

It explicitly excludes dual wheel motor homes from the services that I consider most important. Although, depending on how you read that last paragraph, it looks like the RV option might override that? I don't remember reading that the last time I looked into it a few years back.

So perhaps that isn't an issue, but the other thing I heard about the RV option is that it is not available in all areas. If you break down in your motor home and the local AAA club for that area doesn't have an RV option, you are likely to be out of luck. Based on the above they appear to have made some changes over the years, I don't know how much of an issue this last part is now. Does anyone know for sure whether the RV option is valid everywhere AAA is valid?
You are only talking about the regular tow service, for the regular AAA plans. If you are a Premiere Member and purchase the separate RV towing policy that is a totally different coverage. It is $37 a year in addition to whatever original plan you have. Pretty cheap even if you only use it as a back up plan. When you read that last paragraph you refer to that is the extended RV policy, and it says right there what it includes, you don't see many MH's without dual rear wheels.That is the whole point of buying the RV option. You need to stop in a AAA office and see what the actual current policy includes. Going off of old info doesn't help anyone. It is valid anywhere in the US, and if they don't have AAA in your location there is a different number you call and AAA arranges the towing. The only thing is that all towing companies out of the AAA area don't accept AAA, so you pay out of pocket and get reimbursed from AAA, if they do accept it then their is no money out of pocket . If you are in a AAA location there is no money out of pocket.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote