Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Rock Guard

I am thinking of making my own Rock guard with maybe our name or some design on the plate. Has anyone made one or has ideas for me, I have some on paper. I have a friend who has a shop that can make any design on stainless steel.I am looking for the rubber mat and hardware to start.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile

I was also thinking about using an old wind deflector that I had on top of my truck when I used to tow a fifth wheel and attached to the tow bar with detachable clips of some sort. I have not had the time to do further research.

Good luck

Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #3

Our rock guard is mounded on chains attached to the frame just forward of the rear cap and with the lower edge just about 4 inches above the ground. Any lower and the guard will hit the ground more often and kick up road gravel/debris. We also have heavy mud flaps just aft of the dual rears.

Even with all that we still had some extensive dings on the Jeep from the road being just 'chipped' on the west entrance into Yellowstone. Having the rock guard WILL help though. That's the only time we have had any trouble. Good luck with the install. Bob

BTW, the material is what you are talking about...heavy rubber matting with a logo overlay.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think the OP is referring to the mud flap where as I was thinking about a rock guard on the tow bar protecting the grill of the toad