Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rock guard, tow guard mud flap

Does not seem to be a right name - talking about flap that hangs on rear of coach. Advertised to keep dirt off rear of coach and protect towed vehicle. Thinking about adding one and have two questions. 1. Do they do any good? and 2. Of the three types: strips, solid or hula skirt type better?
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #2

Yes they do help and I would go with the solid one
Randy blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I did a lot of research before I ended up going with a protect-a-tow. In Nov I bought a new CRV and traveled a lot during the past 5 months. My CAT 3126 likes to blow oil and my old Toad and the back of the MH always had oil, road grime and chips and if it rained the camera would be hard to see out of. With the Protect-A-Tow I had no oil on the CRV and after 5,000 miles not a ding/chip on it either. In rainy weather my camera did not get dirty. The back of the MH also stayed clean. It takes a few mins to hook up, but by the time I run the CRV in neutral like the book says I'm all hooked up. It attaches under the back of the MH, runs under the tow bar set up and attaches under the front of the Toad.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #4

The solid rock guard is good. Be sure you install it according to instructions especially as far as how high off the ground it should be. Putting it lower is NOT better, it just kicks up more rocks. We go to Alaska at least every other year and travel at least 100 miles a year on dirt and gravel without major issues. The grass skirt blows out straight behind the rig and gives little if any protection. Look at passing rigs on the interstates when you travel.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote