Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2015, 10:09 AM   #1

Rock screen protection along sides of DP engine

I recently was at the local Allison transmission dealer and had my trans reconfigured so that it downshifts to fourth speed rather than second when the exhaust brake comes in to play.
The technician told me they see a number of coaches with holes or damage to the radiator as the air flow to the fan picks up small rocks and pebbles and forces them in to rad.
He says that people put screen along the lower side of the engine on each side to prevent this happening, he called it "rabbit screen".
Just curious if anyone else has encountered this or actually has done it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #2

We had a 2005 Knight that came from the factory with a screen. Was a pain to remove any time I changed oil. After a couple years I just left it off. After putting 500,000 miles on 4 DPs without a screen, I don't see the need.

If you drive gravel roads much, I could see the wisdom.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:58 PM   #3

Save yourself the time & $$$!. I've had 5 coaches over the past 45 years & have NEVER HAD a hole in my side mounted radiators! Haven driven over 350,000 & made trips to Alaska. Maratine Provenances of Canada & all lower 48 states I never seen or had this issue. I think your techie was smoking dope or had misdiagnosed what caused the holes.
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclogger1 View Post
I recently was at the local Allison transmission dealer and had my trans reconfigured so that it downshifts to fourth speed rather than second when the exhaust brake comes in to play.
The technician told me they see a number of coaches with holes or damage to the radiator as the air flow to the fan picks up small rocks and pebbles and forces them in to rad.
He says that people put screen along the lower side of the engine on each side to prevent this happening, he called it "rabbit screen".
Just curious if anyone else has encountered this or actually has done it?
wclogger1
My rear radiator coach has never had, (or needed), screens along the lower side of the engine.

BTW I have experimented with both the "2nd gear downshift" and the "4th gear downshift" and prefer the downshift to second because it greatly extends the life of the service brake pads/shoes.

Mel
'96 Safari, (141k on the original disc brake pads)
Old 07-31-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"wclogger1".....The Monaco rear radiator coaches came with screens as standard equipment. They were mounted directly under the engine. I never took mine off to change oil, there was just enough room to slide the oil filter out. Look under any rear radiator Monaco coach and you'll see how it was designed.

With that said, in most cases you won't need it, but a few people that have made the Alaska trip have had their radiators damaged by flying rock.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:05 PM   #6

I actually quite like the 4th speed downshift but think I will have it changed to the 5th speed. I down shift on my own with the pad and that seems to work well
Bob
Old 07-31-2015, 07:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I just had to replace a side radiator due to a hole punched in it from something. This happen on I40 between Nashville & Knoxville. Do not know what it was but it did a number on the radiator. Luckily my insurance covered it.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, scr