Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
Rock shields/skirts

I need to decide on a rock shield/skirt (mounts at bottom, rear of coach and helps prevent rocks from coming off the rear tires and striking the "towd"). It's for a Class A. I've had a solid rubber shield on a previous Class C, but I've heard the "grass skirt" style shield does a better job of stopping, or slowing down the debris. Do any of you have experience with one, over the other? Could any of you make a brand recommendation for me? Many thanks!

garyvont is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't see how the "grass skirt" type could possibly stop a large rock or other debris! I use the UltraGuard solid rubber flap, positioned 4" from the ground, plus a Protect-A-Tow mesh shield between the MH and toad. I feels this gives me as complete protection as is possible to have! JMHO!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:25 PM   #3
A heavy rubber stone guard is the way to go. However, many tow bar brands also make a rock guard accessory that attaches to the tow bar. We have a Demco tow bar with the attached stone guard and it stops almost all of the debris that gets pas the coach stone guard. Ours is angled so that the small rocks etc fall to the road.

2012 Itasca Meridian
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Here is link to the one I have, it is the drop down model.
I also have heavy "mud flaps" on the rear tires that are
the full width of the dual tires, and just 3" above the ground,
the redundant systems provide very good protection.
75,000 miles, not one mark on my Explorer.

Motorhome Mud Flaps And RV Mudflaps
macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:50 AM   #5
I only have the flaps that are behind the rear duals, and a bra on the lower half of the towed. In over 5yrs. of full timing nary a ding, not even on our Alaska trip. In fact a lot of travelers to Alaska remove the full width ones, because they just sweep up & throw rocks all over the towed.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:20 AM   #6
Great replies!

Many thanks to each of you for sharing your experiences! I truly appreciate it.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Ramjets above has a valid point. We just returned from our AK trip. Of the five rigs with us from time to time, 3 had damage to paint and windshields of their towed cars. All 3 had the full width gravel guards. I do not have a full width guard and will not in the future either. I experienced no issue with gravel hitting the towed. I do have the poly Guardian guard which i think helped the most in providing protection. Your mileage may vary......
Ron in NW Oregon
2014 Ventana LE 3847
2008 Honda CRV AWD
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:10 PM   #8
Thank you Ron! I think you and Ramets (sp?) have the methods that would work best for me. This forum is fantastic!!!! Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I too was worried about the monaco 'sweeper' actually causing rocks to be kicked up...

even had the front 'top plate' right behind the wrangler's bumper full of rocks and sand the first time we towed so got (and highly recommend!) the protect-a-tow, even though they are from way up there

Was concerned about the install at first, but easy once I got it and could picture it...
then when stopped, just unhook two carabiners from the toad and lay the mesh on the ground until ready to tow again !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	706.8 KB
ID:	101732   Click image for larger version

Name:	fender flap.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	101733  

If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:06 AM   #10

I also removed my full width flap on our Alaska trip and only have the ones behind the duals now. No more full flap for me. I find the toad stays much cleaner now than with the big flap.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:33 PM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have all three units..... a full width flap at the rear of the MH, a Protect-a-Tow covering the full gap beneath the tow bar, and a vertical rock guard at the front of the toad.

The wide flap was on the MH when I bought it. I bought the rock guard cheap from the previous owner. Several months later I bought the P-a-T because I thought it was the best design for the job, intending to sell the rock guard and possibly deinstall the flap. But of course I haven't gotten around to those parts yet, so I use all three! Takes about ten seconds to set the rock guard, and another 20 for the PaT.

I'm not totally convinced the wide flap is harmful, as long as it is properly installed (min 4"-6" above ground). I haven't had any problem with mine. I also have this strange notion that these vehicles are designed and intended to be operated on good roads and highways, not gravel roads. The latter invites damage. Campground roads, of course, are travelled at speeds that don't throw stones. In any event, in three years and 20K miles I've had no damage to my toad.

John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote