Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't let some of the naysayers get you down. The ride can be improved!

There are countless threads from people all over who have improved their suspension and are happy with it. You don't have to simply learn to live with it and you don't have to get a diesel to overcome this.

I do agree, it is not a sports car, it's not a Lexus, and it's not even a big SUV. It's a huge heavy box rolling down the road supported by metal springs and shocks. That being said, modest improvements can be made and they can have a positive impact. It's only up to you, what you consider good enough, and how much money you want to throw at it.

Considering the price we paid for our coach, the modest amount we spent for new shocks and the rear trac bar was almost less than than my wife has spent so far on the inside stuff (all new matching towels, really?). At the end of a day we're both happy!

Good luck.

2011 Allegro 35QBA
Kar Kaddy KK460SS
2007.5 GMC, LMM D/A, Crew Cab, Z71 4x4, Long Box
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #16
Hi and welcome to the world of RVing. You say your a newbie, so what are you using as a comparison to your rough ride? Compared to a U-haul truck it is probably like a magic carpet, but compared to a family sedan I am sure it is rough. When you add a thousand pounds of travel supplies, water, food, gas, propane, clothing, etc, you may find the road begins to smooth. Speed is also a major factor. The ride at 55mph to 60mph in my MH is significantly smoother than 65mph. After a few miles you may find a sweet spot for driving. Then there are the things completely beyond our control, the roads in California are dearly in need of attention, but as soon as you cross into Oregon the drive smooths out.
As for things that help the ride, like air pads and shocks, sway bars and the like, all help, I've never indulged, but put a few miles on the MH first and see if your perseption changes.
Granted it is a new motorhome, but make sure the dealer delivered the MH with RV specific tires....they make a big difference.
Happy Trails.

kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The op's f53 is a brand new 2012.
Perhaps I'm making invalid assumptions, but I'm thinking it's probably as good as it gets.

It has standard front and rear antiroll bars, a front trackbar, and bilstiens shocks. A rear trackbar might help...

Beyond that, its brand new, and i'd guess it is the best an F53 can get.

And I'm sure its really not that bad. It took me a couple years to quit driving by the view of the paint lines in the rearview mirrors.... to quit responding to every inch of movement but instead leave it to every 6 inches.

'Course I did buy a dp before I was able to truly relax behind the wheel. I'd rather drive the knight than any other vehicle I own....
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just two additional thoughts. Have you had your tires balanced? Have you had the front end aligned? Minor out of balance can cause a lot of ride activity and is easy to check. Use dynamic balance if you can, or get Equal or some other powder to be sure.

I invest in front end alignment with the coach fully loaded for travel when tires are new and when I see changes in tread wear. We drive our tires into extinction rather than watching them time out with good tread left, just put the third set on our coach.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Read my blog at http://xctraveler.blogspot.com/ AKA RVM86
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
When we had our F53, it rode real hard and the trucks pushed it around. We put a Saf-T-Plus on it. Weighed it on a truck scale , checked the charts and lowered the pressure 10 lbs. We still felt the expansion joints cause leaf springs are what they are. Kept it 4 1/2 years and put 55,000 miles on it. Would still have it but was a 32 and we wanted more space for our lifestyle which was out 8 months a year at that time. Good Luck
Downsized Winnebago C, 24 V /08 Saturn Vue/2014 Town and Country Van/03 Goldwing (Big Red)Recently triked Roadsmith kit
Beabop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #20
Raayrob - and the reason you bought something you don't like the ride or the steering on is??? The time to get that right is before purchase. Jimm68 tells it sort of like it is. But if you are sticking with your purchase make sure the tires are inflated as much as safe and no more. And then just drive the thing a couple thousand miles and you will likely get used to the handling.

I drove a couple dozen coaches before buying the one I did. Plus we spent two years doing research.

Bob 2002 affinity

B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote