Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 07:05 PM   #1

Rollover and fridge.

I watched the video of the tire blowout and the rollover shared on this site. My question is this- can we assume that a residential fridge is going to come out of its spot? Are they really fastened in at all? I'm nervous now about grandkids riding on the couch opposite it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
My fridge is attached at the top with a large strip of angle bolted to the overhead cabinet.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
GREAT QUESTION!!!
When my grandson travels with us in the MH, he ONLY rides in the passenger seat with the shoulder harness AND lap seat belt!!! I am the one who rides on the couch with only a lap seat belt. And thank goodness it is not opposite the refrig!!!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:25 AM   #4
GKW

On a rollover like the one in the video, I don't think it would be possible to securely fasten anything, much less a residential fridge. The "G" forces applied in a wreck like that are off the charts, and the people in that RV were extremely lucky to survive with minor injuries. Lots of reasons to evaluate your own reactions and pay close attention to your tire conditions and general preventive maintenance after watching that video.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:13 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Our residential fridge as 4 brackets holding it, 2 on the top back and 2 on the bottom front. NO I doubt very seriously of it would break loose.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:41 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
If done properly, the residential refer will be no worse than the old propane refer in case of a rollover. Besides, the residential weighs less than the propane/electric units of old
Old 06-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #7

In my unit the res frig has straps much like a seat belt affixed to the top and sides and bolted to the frame. I doubt it is anymore likely to come loose than any other item in the MH.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #8

I recently replaced my couch in my coach with a residential love seat. The factory couch was held in place with 4 self tapping metal screws. I doubt the couch would have held in place during a roll over, let alone a whole bunch of other things. I'm looking at ways to more securely fasten my new couch down, but I think it may be a fools errand. These things are not built for collisions or rollovers. Even the front seat belts would probably provide little protection against impact or ejection in a severe crash/roll over
Old 06-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Like the propane fridges before it, the fridge has some brackets & screws to hold it in place. OK for normal driving or the odd bang-up, but no guarantees in a serious accident. But if you are in an accident sufficient to tear the fridge loose, you probably have several more such things to worry about as well. Recliner & dining chairs, dining table, all the stuff in the kitchen cabinets, etc.

As o0thers have stated, the residential fridge is no larger or heavier than its RV fridge counterpart, so the worry, while real, is no greater (or smaller).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think the refrigerator is the last thing I'd be thinking about in a rollover. There will literally be hundreds of things to kill you, including the rollover itself.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Another reason to LOCK THE Front door while traveling as you would on your passenger car doors.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
Another reason to LOCK THE Front door while traveling as you would on your passenger car doors.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #13

We're taking 6 of our 8 grandchildren to Mt Rushmore on our first real MH trip. All seat belts will be in use. I suppose all you can do is be careful. I think I'm still going to try and see if that thing is bolted in somehow. It's directly across from one of the couches.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
Would that be so you can't outrun the flying fridge?
My rule is to LEAVE THE DOOR UNLOCKED in case we have to escape in a hurry.

IMHO, if your worried about things coming loose during a rollover, you should not be driving a house full of hundreds of potential projectiles. I really don't get the point of this post. What would happen if your house was hit by a tornado? Would you be concerned about the unattached fridge?

Tags
fridge