Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2019, 11:30 PM   #57

I guess that this thought process could be extended to other venues. I work at a large hospital near I-95 about halfway between NY and Florida.

We have many who decide that they need to stop in our parking lot and end up in a staff parking lot. We have to wake them up and move them, but occasionally we end up with RVs. We had a class C end up there one night and at my first viewing, it appeared that they were already in bed. I waited until 5:30 AM to wake them since our shift change is at 6. I offered an alternative spot that they could stay all day, but they were 45 minutes from their destination. I would have liked to seen his reaction if they parked a helo 150 feet away. One other time, I found a gas class A behind a vacant building and they were up. The owner told me that the coach was overheating and they were going to get it looked at in the AM. I just suggested two local shops that could handle a RV and told him I would check on them during the night and if he needed to he could drop the jacks and extend the slides. I'm sure he was fibbing about the overheating as nothing was pushed out on the ground and no smell normally associated with over heating. The spot we can put them in is flat, hard packed, well lit, and is under 24 hour direct observation by two officers in different buildings. The only hang up to that spot is another helo that parks about 250-300 feet away.

There also is a WM about 5 minutes away in a small town that way more often than not, there are at least 2 in the parking lot very early in the AM.

The bottom line is that if you ask, you may end up in a better place than you if you hadn't.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Yup, I miss typed " are "
Oh. I have to watch my fingers when I type too. there's no telling what they'll come up with on their own.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:41 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnicleBill View Post
Anyone have experience when traveling on long trips stopping at Walmart parking lots and spending the night. Normally getting in kind of late and leaving early. Have heard that it’s OK at Walmarts with a 24 hour operation. Planning a long trip from Nashville out to Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons, Glacier and Mt. Rushmore and we’re looking at RON’ing at Walmarts on the 1 night stands. Appreciate any thoughts on issues, security, etc? Thanks in advance!
We have found it to be a good policy to call ahead and ask a manager if it's ok and again it's polite to buy something as a thank you.
Some cities do not allow overnight parking and Walmart has to abide by the city ordinances.
RV Parky has a filter that shows all of Walmarts, Cabelas, and Cracker Barrels on the map and will tell you if they allow overnights.
opeltodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #60

Hi,
We did it a few times during our most recent (and first) fall migration. One time I had called ahead, and the operator had told me it was permitted, all I needed to do was to tell the manager we were staying over. Once we got there (Hardeeville, SC)there was already an RV parked for the night, and the guy told me he had registered with the information office of the store. So I walked up to the desk to announce my presence. Lo and behold, I'm told that it's not permitted. I insisted saying that I had called ahead, at no avail.
In the meantime three more rigs had appeared and they all seemed to be setting camp for the night. So we decided to stay for the night too. No one came banging at the door to tell us to leave, and by 8:00 the next morning everyone was gone. We were the last to leave at 9:00.
So I guess it's hit and miss, and depending who you ask, you'll get permission.
On a side note, I heard Cracker Barrell stores/restaurants are more tolerent.
M
fallbeachlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #61

generator running at overnight Walmart/Cracker Barrel stays? Is that a big no no? We just bought a toy hauler with onboard generator so this is new to us
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #62

The only bad part(s) about Quacker Barrel is often the RV spaces are too short for almost anything with a Toad or a mid-large DP.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
The only bad part(s) about Quacker Barrel is often the RV spaces are too short for almost anything with a Toad or a mid-large DP.
AN overhead view with Google Earth will tell you if you'll fit and where.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
AN overhead view with Google Earth will tell you if you'll fit and where.
With my luck a small old broken down RV or pop top will be planted right in the middle of the only spot big enough for me when I get there.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
With my luck a small old broken down RV or pop top will be planted right in the middle of the only spot big enough for me when I get there.
Or that people that can afford to stay in a CG should be allowed to park for free, but poor are not allowed?
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Or that people that can afford to stay in a CG should be allowed to park for free, but poor are not allowed?
More like inconsiderate people, regardless of means, often take up a lot more space than they need. Me, I often pull into a Cracker Barrel just to eat. It would be nice to find a space to park when I do that. I have had to pull out and pass on eating at one of our favorite restaurants for that very reason.
Glad to hear you are so socially aware and responsible though.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Get up on the wrong side of the bed today?
Old 04-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
More like inconsiderate people, regardless of means, often take up a lot more space than they need. Me, I often pull into a Cracker Barrel just to eat. It would be nice to find a space to park when I do that. I have had to pull out and pass on eating at one of our favorite restaurants for that very reason.
Glad to hear you are so socially aware and responsible though.
Say I show up to a restaurant, big MH with toad is parked out front, across 6-8 parking places. Most of the lot is full so I back my pickup into the space left in front. Who is the inconsiderate one? Does the age of my pickup matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Get up on the wrong side of the bed today?
No, I did not. Read the post I quoted;

"With my luck a small old broken down RV or pop top will be planted right in the middle of the only spot big enough for me when I get there.

Doesn't that say if the rig in the spot was newer, bigger, faster, it would be fine in the place? First come first serve is first come first serve. If somebody is there first you lose, the kind of rig does should not matter.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
If we are pulling in late and pulling out early (and we do lot), a Walmart is perfect. We do extend the 2 passenger side slides (the bed will not lay flat without the bedroom slide out). We always go into the store and but something.

Last night we had dinner the Chinese restaurant, picked up some levelling blocks and a new stinky slinky from the Walmart, all in the same plaza. Would have probably bought something at Big Lots! as well but they were closing for the evening. All where in the same parking lot in Westerville, OH.

Tonight we are in St. Catherines, ON (Canada) heading to the dealer in the morning only 40 minutes away.

Walmart rules!!
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
generator running at overnight Walmart/Cracker Barrel stays? Is that a big no no? We just bought a toy hauler with onboard generator so this is new to us
Definitely not ok to keep it running continuously. If you need to charge batteries or whatever and run it for a little while at a time, that's probably fine. The more congested the area is and the more people are around the less you should run the genny. If it's an empty lot, then it's probably ok, but just FYI there is a safety issue with running the genny while you sleep, risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, so do it at your own risk.

Basically you want to blend in as much as possible and act like a car that is just parked there. You shouldn't put your slides or awnings out, cook outside, or run a generator continuously.

It's an art, not a science, but the less you do to attract attention to yourself the more freedom you will have to do whatever you want within the privacy of your rig.
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote