RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Roof A/C removal. Help appreciated

Iím currently doing the roof with Henry Tropic Cool. Iíve got her all scrubbed down and have done all of the Dicor lap sealant. The roof still looks great after a light power wash and a long session of scrubbing on hands and knees. She will look fantastic judging from the after pics of Henrysí jobs Iíve seen others show off here.

Following the lead of other posters (thanks all contributors) I decided to change out the A/C gasket and get a couple of coats of Henryís under the gasket and around the area that the A/C unit covers. You know, do it right!

Iíve looked at yooo toob (sic) and have taken all of the panels off, the bolts out etc.. Problem is, I canít budge the unit. It seems to move a bit from the aft position, but I donít really want to yank too hard for fear of tearing the edpm roofing or damaging the A/C unit. Most of the posters from the toob seem to be able to just push from below and the unit pops up and is ready to move.

Am I missing something? I thought about using the exacto knife to cut the area around the side of the old, compressed gasket. But I donít want to make a big mistake and create a big problem and create more work for myself.

Thatís why Iím appealing to the experience of others who may have experience removing a Dometic Quick Cool A/C like mine. Model # is 59516.331. Itís the original 2000 unit (I believe) on our 2001 Triple E as per our signature. It still works well, as much as we seldom put it to work.

When I do get it freed, can I lay it on itís side as Iíve seen others do or will I damage it as per a refrigerator? Or just keep it oriented as per installation as is my intuition?

As an aside, I was mighty impressed with the amount of insulation that I see.

Thanks. I love this site and visit 3-4 times daily to read and learn.

Cheers 🍷🍸

DJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2FDD6AE9-9E4F-44DA-A3D8-ABF85C659988.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	257975   Click image for larger version

Name:	143AA9F4-1A4A-4C34-8A24-6DFDD2BB9EE1.jpg
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	257976  

Click image for larger version

Name:	654596E2-7BF9-4326-B4E7-BDC00298D8F6.jpg
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	257977   Click image for larger version

Name:	D94241FA-CAF9-40D8-AD32-C59BC3F53A09.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	257978  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
I shouldíve

Also asked if I should leave well enough alone. I can reseal with dicor and paint the Henry’s around it?

Thanks

DJ

Old 08-25-2019, 09:04 PM   #3

If nothing is wrong with it, paint around it.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #4

So, do you think the gasket is sticking to the bottom of the ac housing? Perhaps you can get it loosened up with a putty knife...either from outside on the roof or inside through the 14x14 hole. I've removed one before but I don't recall any problems getting it loose.
Fugitive861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #5

Seems like the gasket is stuck on which, in my opinion, if you go further you might as well wait until you have a new gasket in hand. My guess is it's going to tear if you dig deeper into it.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Old 08-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
It will come out straight up. If it is stuck try WD 40 or my favorite PB Blaster sprayed on the hole. Sometimes the hole was undersized and they pushed it through. All your gaskets will be dry and like anything dry to remove it it must slide. I would remove it since it has already been disturbed if you want to make sure of a seal. It will come after a overnight spraying.
Washington T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:50 PM   #8

When we replaced our A/C's I had to use a putty knife to loose the gasket due to age. If it's not leaking as others said maybe leave it. But, you may have loosened it a bit by trying to move it. This might be the beginning of a leak.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
First, I don't think it's necessary to paint under the AC.
But, if you do remove it will take some effort. Many folks install them using a gasket that has adhesive on one side and then they use sealant on the top of the gasket. Like Jim said, I had to use a putty knife to break it loose and it took some time working all the way around.
New gaskets are available on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Much appreciated

Thanks all. I do have the gasket in hand. Iíll try the putty knife tomorrow.

Cheers

DJ

Tags
removal, roof