Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #1
Roof Air Conditioner Filters with Ducted Air

Hi I have 3 Roof Mounted AirExcel 13.5k heat pumps (model 48058-969) - with ducted air inside. Therefore there is no internal ceiling system assembly, so my question is where are the filters and how do you change them?

I also had a leak in the ceiling and made the mistake of getting on the roof to check the installation of them (Bad mistake), normal installation quality was non-existent. Two particular instructions from the install guide were not followed for the shroud...
1) Ensure the seven "clip" sections of the shroud have engaged (did not happen on one of the three) and
2) Ensure the front flange of the shroud slips below the retaining clips to allow the shroud to sit on the to set on the front unit flange (did not happen on two of the three)
You may want to check these on yours!

Any help on where to find the filters (if any) would be appreciated.

Brian and Tracie
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX Freightliner XC-R Chassis
Cummins ISL9 8.9L 450HP, Allison 3000MH 6-Speed
bmfickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
I know on out Winnebago they are right in the return air inlet. The inlet pops out and it is a foam disc in there.

Steve and Joy
2013 Winnebago Journey
Where We Are Now
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:40 PM   #3
Our Newmar has the round vents, too. A row if inlets and a row of outlets. The little foam things don't do much. You might check RVAIR.com. They are new, but they use an external filter over the inlet vent.

RVAIR will be at the FMCA rally this week in Georgia, If you're there, go in and say hi to Eddie.

Tom & Jan ---- Westwing43
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #4
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both our DSDP's had the round ceiling vents and the returns have the filters. I bought more filter material at a local store to cut new ones out of, but I still washed the old ones out.
Many ways to put a filter in.
The present rig has the filters mounted behind removable decorative ceiling panels. Pull down and the panel comes right off. There are two panels in the "salon", you can see one at the far end of the ceiling just beyond the lights that are on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6999 Magna (8).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	121460  
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We have "ducted air" inside ceiling ducts, too. Half the ducts are air intakes (with filters) and have are out flow vents. Two screws hold each cover in place, remove them to access the filters.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
My Monaco has filter holders in the ac returns, I use 1inch coated fiber filters that I cut from a roll of filter material I purchased from a HVAC supply store. Works great no dirty ceiling.
John, Pat and the cat named BOO
HONDA FIT in tow
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Im surprised nobody makes a better filter for the ones that mount in the ac unit. Tha foam just doesn't do the trick. Would something made from a home filter restrict them too much?
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
I built frames below the A/C units to accept home type filters (12"x12" on the 5th, 12"x14" on the MH). For a few years I left the foam filter installed behind the home filters in the 5th. Never had to clean the foam filter. Took all foam filters out and started using the home filters only. They catch a lot of dust and dirt so they are changed often, 30 - 60 days in summer. We have been very satisfied with performance.
Bob & Pat
2011 Winnebago Vista 30W, 2010 Jeep Liberty
Bobgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:19 AM   #9
The plastic covers on the AirExcel units were yellow and had broken mount holes. When I went looking for new ones I found the to be in the $100 range each! I currently use pleated filters so I decided to use house return duct grills. A 1x2 wood frame and the metal grates along with t-nuts costed less than $50 for both.

Metal grill off.

Frame holding the filter.

spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:51 PM   #10
Thanks everyone for your responses, I guess I have to find some form of filters to put in the multiple return air vents - there doesn't seem to be anything in any of the little vents - are these able to be purchased or cut your own from some material?

Brian and Tracie
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX Freightliner XC-R Chassis
Cummins ISL9 8.9L 450HP, Allison 3000MH 6-Speed
bmfickl is offline   Reply With Quote

air conditioner, roof