Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #1

Roof cap paint deterioration

2008 Itasca Suncruiser 38T

Any one experiencing front cap clear coat cancer? Started last year as a minor blotch and has advanced to an area 12x20". down to gel coat and now discoloured. Tried a fine sand down1200 and 1600 grits, respray clear coat, but no avail, almost like there was moisture under clear coat at application. Used mainly in Pacific NW, so no intense desert sun. Any comments, Tks.
jeepman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #2

clear coat problem

I have the same problem all around the coach on top. My body shop said that there is nothing they can do except repaint that area, first the body colur and then recoat with clear coat. I stay ahead of mine by sanding with 3m pads and spraying with clear coat. unforunately the color of the body paint is a little different but it is near the top of the coach so it really does not show. we have a 2006 winny journey
polestarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
My '07 KSDP is in the shop getting the top cap repainted and new clear coat now. We bought the rig 1 1/2 years ago. Had a couple small spots. I washed it and double waxed it a couple of times trying to slow it down. And it is stored in an enclosed storage stall. But it went from small to pretty big just this year. Thought we would get it fixed before it went totally bad.

The DW wasn't warm and fuzzy about what I was talking about, one day as we left a campground there was a rig that the top was BAD, and going down the side posts. I stopped, pointed at it and said, that is what I am talking about, if we don't get this fixed soon, that will be what your rig will look like. She changed her tune......my birthday money was 50% of the cost to repair. Is that a coincidence or what!!
Old 09-10-2016, 11:09 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We had ours redone for the same reasons. Did the top cap and along the sides below the roof but above the drip rail. 2005 Motorhome. Not cheap but looks sooooo much better.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:52 PM   #5

Seems to be a common problem with Winnebago. Mine is doing the same thing. 2007 Adventurer, I'm sure Winnebago will not admit to a problem, but we know it is there.
LINADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:54 AM   #6

Yep, same problem with mine. Going in Oct 3 to be resprayed. I have three areas around clearance lights peeling away, so I'm getting it done now.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #7

Roof cap stuff

Thanks for the feedback, glad I'm not alone(sort of!). I've written to Winnebago describing the problem...lets see if they respond!
Old 09-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #8

I found I had one of two choices.... clean/sand/prep & paint OR us an acrylic protector with UV Protection....

In my case I used a product called CostaCoat and found it on Ebay... the prep work is to use 3M white or gray scuff pad and wash the coach with that scuff pad and remove all the old wax, dirt, etc...

The CostaCoat is 5-6 layers of a very thin like water type chemical.... with each layer the small scratch marks filled and after the 6th coat the surface is now shinier than when the coach was NEW and much better than its ever been after cleaning and 2 hand waxes....

The product says its will last 12 months.... and its also a product used on marine fiberglass applications...

I've very pleased.... and am now 3 months down the road from my application and lots of rain... I winter in AZ and am headed there... time will tell... but it covered well, is very shiny and look great on my 10 year old body...

BTW works on the metal surfaces as well.. don't know if its designed for them... but don't use the 3M pad on the metal for prep... it will scratch..
Old 09-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #9

Roof cap stuff

Thanks jelag, did the product mentioned restore the colour coat beneath the clear coat?
Old 09-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #10

Anyone think about rolling some Flexseal on the area?

2008 Holiday Rambler PDQ Ambassador 360 ISC
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Blue Ox tow Patriot brake
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problem is called checking...clear coat and pigmented paint contract and expand at different rates and after a period of years they split apart. The only real lasting fix it to have the area repainted and recoated.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gramps- View Post
The problem is called checking...clear coat and pigmented paint contract and expand at different rates and after a period of years they split apart. The only real lasting fix it to have the area repainted and recoated.
Sorry, but IMO that's a completely different problem! Paint checking is when the fiberglass gasses through the paint and clear coat ~ leaving squiggly lines/almost like fiber outlines. They are especially evident on dark colors and when you look at them from the side they have a distinct "checked" appearance instead of a glass-smooth look.

Unlike the clear coat giving away along the top edges of the coach, paint checking is usually found on the entire side of the coach ~ usually the side most exposed to sunlight. That, and high desert heat, usually bring it out if the coach is going to develop it. Very common in 2006 ~ 8 coaches of fiberglass design, even high end coaches.
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I think the OP's problem was clear coat failure, not checking (though willing to be corrected!), though that is certainly very common. I have both. Fixed the clear coat failure, may eventually repaint for the checking but I can live with it for now.

Tags
paint, roof