Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #1

Roof care - what to use?

My roof is one piece fiberglass. After 12 years, all I see is bare white resin exposing to air. Touching it gets quite a bit white powder. after raining, the white stream marks are seen on side walls.

So what to apply to it? I am thinking there must be some kind of liquid gel that can be brushed on to form a layer to protect it against uv. Primer/paint/clear coat won't do the job I think. Anyone has done it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The best UV protectant I have found is Aerospace 303. Been using it since 1993, great product.
The oxidation needs to be removed prior to applying 303, and the easiest way is with polishing compound and a random orbital buffer. That will also restore the gloss.
Then wash well and apply 303.
www.303products.com

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #3

Thank you much Harold. I have a random orbital buffer and also a container of polishing compound right in garage. I am glad I have a use for those now. I'll see if there is a store carrying aerospace protectant 303 locally.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
My roof is one piece fiberglass. After 12 years, all I see is bare white resin exposing to air. Touching it gets quite a bit white powder. after raining, the white stream marks are seen on side walls.

So what to apply to it? I am thinking there must be some kind of liquid gel that can be brushed on to form a layer to protect it against uv. Primer/paint/clear coat won't do the job I think. Anyone has done it?
My prev. coach was a CC with the same problem....I cleaned it with a mister clean scrubber along with car wash soap and brush (rinse good). After it dried, I applied a generous coat of Mop n Glow. Looked good, no more white streaks and it lasted good as well.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
Thank you much Harold. I have a random orbital buffer and also a container of polishing compound right in garage. I am glad I have a use for those now. I'll see if there is a store carrying aerospace protectant 303 locally.
There is a dealer locator at the 303 website. Put in your zip code and it will give the dealers in your area.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #6

Thank you all for your replies. I found a marine store selling 303 products in my area. I'll give it a try.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Check this forum for Zep or Red Max, seems to be good stuff, just what you are looking for...
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #8

Seems like red max is sold in lowes and zep wet floor in homedepot. per discussions, it would need to be peeled and reapply every few years. It may be applicable for side walls for shinning effect, not sure for my purpose as nobody sees rooftop. what i really want is a layer as shield against uv.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #9

I just did my 1993 CC Magna with 2 gallon kit of white Benjamin Moore epoxy paint. It is a lifetime application as far I as I am concerned. $100 for the kit and it went on very well. I even did the AC covers. My Dicor caulk was in good shape so I just cleaned the roof with a pressure washer and let it dry a couple days. Masked off the sides and all the fixtures I didn't want white and rolled a heavy coat on it. I could't be happier with it.

I too was getting the streaks down the sides when I tried to wash the coach. Not anymore though. Joe
Old 10-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #10

jofo777, that sounds excellent. did you use this? it looks good for my purpose:
Product Catalog

thanks
Old 10-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a word of information. Epoxy paints will also oxidize, just as any other paint, including clear coats. UV protection is is the only way to prevent or slow down the process.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #12

This is the one I used. It is a solvent based product. It uses Zylene as a thinner and I recommend you have a can on hand to thin it about 10% or so to roll out. Also a solvent approved roller to avoid breakdown should be used. This product will setup like glass and should last for years. It is high gloss and recommended for both interior and exterior. The base is a bright white.

Product Catalog
Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #13

I've read alot of good comments about Red-Max Pro or Zep. One of the posters also mentioned Mop N Glo which is a similiar product. Funny, my son had a new stamped concrete patio poured this past spring and after the contractor applied the gloss sealer my son asked when it wears off what should he use, the answer, MOP N GLO! and no need to buy expensive concrete sealer.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I just coated my MH Roof 2 months ago ( the sides are still ok ) with the Zep /"Mop and Glo type" Floor polish. I cleaned it then applied 2 coats of the polish and couldn't be happier .. It shines and beads up with water running off .. no more chalking! Ive seen others report this and that's why I went with it . It looks Like a annual re coat (1 Coat) will keep it super good looking No stripping needed( not that people can see it) and No more chalk running down the side. I dont know why you need UV protection ( chalking?) But no way this will allow chalking and the Main downside, is Its slippery up there now if its wet! I'd post a photo but if you search you'll find plenty

Tags
roof