Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
Roof coating

At three years old my local RV repair facility told me I should have my fiberglass roof resealed. They charged me $500, applied a coating and replaced the lap sealant on the seams. Itís two years later and I see the lap sealant is beginning to crack, and the coating has weathered off. I am thinking of doing the work myself this time.
1. What is the best coating to apply?
2. Can I apply Eternabond over the existing sealant on the seams.?
3. Is Eternabond a problem to remove if I have to do other work later on?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Gary and Norma Goldman
07 Revolution 40E

Ggrvusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The person i bought my coach from coated the seams and vents and what ever else was mounted on the roof with " snow roof" he brushed it on. I wanted to go to eternabond but he did not do a neat job brushing the snow roof on. I figured i would have the eternabond wide enough to compeltely cover the snow roof coating on both sides so it seals down to the fiberglass or i might have a chance of water getting in if the snow roof comes loose. I have done a lot of investagating and the eternabond is with out a doubt the way to go. Maybe someone will be able to help me with some thoughts on what i have said also alone with your questions.to your last question, yes it is very hard to remove. Go to you tube and type in eternabond and watch the videos. They show how to install the eternabond tape.

2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
If you can caulk then you can put Dicor roof sealant on. No big deal.

Eternabond tends to be a permanent fix - but it takes a fair amt of prep work and is very difficult to remove. I use it on the end caps but use Dicor on the stuff that you have to eventually replace (caps, antennae, etc). You can Google Eternabond they have DIY video's on how to install.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote