Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
Roof, EPDM, how long might it last?

My MH is a 2000 Fleetwood with the EPDM
rubber roof covering.

How long might it last? (MH is not under cover).

Will the life of the EPDM be extended if one uses
Proteck-All type of cleaner and protectant?

Thanks in advance for your comments
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Since your MH is a 2000, your roof could be just about done for. I've seen them fail in as little as five years. I've also seen them last fifteen years or longer.
Whatever you do, do NOT use any petroleum based cleaner or protectant on it. My own recommendation is to clean it regularly and gently with a soft brush and Dicor rubber roof cleaner. Use a long handled brush and a ladder, the roof will be EXTREMELY slippery when it's soapy.
Inspect all seams carefully at least every six months, and use only Dicor lap sealant to reseal any gaps.
There are cheaper products out there that will work just fine, but Dicor makes the rubber membrane, they should know how to clean it without damage.
Steve & Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The roof of my previous moho, a 99 fleetwood pace arrow, looked like this before coating with EPDM Coatings, Liquid Rubber, EPDM Rubber and Liquid Roof Coatings for Roof Leak Repair liquid edpm.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any shots of the completed roof, but it looked like brand new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0734.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	14266  
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
The roof on our 95 is still fine. I had to reseal the seams in 2006 not long before we gave it to the kids. We and they periodically clean and treat it with the approved cleaner. It has spent most of its life in Western Washington and is covered with an Adco cover in the Winter.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The EPDM itself is guaranteed for 10 years by the manufacturer (usually Dicor), and in some cases that is all it lasts. However, I think most people get 15 or more years from it, with reasonable care. Care mostly means occasional washing and no scrapes with tree limbs and such. Waxing it really doesn't help except for cosmetics.

If the roof coating wears away and you can see the fabric backing, it can be re-coated with liquid EPDM and you can probably get another 5+ years from it. And then maybe re-coat it again.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I just traded my 1989 Executive MH on an up grade. The roof was cleaned 2 to three times a year and it was parked out side with not protection and it was still good.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Mine is a 99 and I use Protect All on it. Rubber Roof Cleaner - Protect All
so far no sign of wearing out and no leaks.
It's stored outside in New Mexico year around with no cover.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%212573

Dick
Old 10-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Outdoor conditions like acid rain, industrial pollutants and plain old grit in the air can have a dramatic effect on the life of a rubber roof. And to a lesser extent, a TPO roof as well. Washing and applying waxes may have some modest success in combating those things, but they are still going to shorten the life of the roof.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sold my 1990 MH to my kids and the roof is still good,washed 3 times a year.
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm wondering if coating EPDM while it is still fairly new would prolong its life. Liquid Rubber Roof isn't the only game in town. Kool Seal makes a coating that is compatible with EPDM. I've used regular Kool Seal on a mobile home roof and was very happy with it. Besides being very durable, its reflectiveness resulted in a noticeable temperature reduction inside. The only maintenance I ever did on it was to wash the roof and recoat it every five or six years.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Are you suggesting coating the roof with Kool Seal RV or Liquid Rubber while it is still new? That would be a waste of time and money, in my opinion. Like re-painting a new car to protect the paint.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Are you suggesting coating the roof with Kool Seal RV or Liquid Rubber while it is still new? That would be a waste of time and money, in my opinion. Like re-painting a new car to protect the paint.
Bad analogy. Car paint is often protected from weather and scratching by a clear coat (scratches can be buffed out without damaging the color coat). Wax is also used to protect car paint from weather. Besides protecting the sheet metal from corrosion, car paint is also cosmetic.

EPDM is mostly intended to protect the roof from water penetration, not look pretty. The concensus is it will deteriorate when exposed to weather, becoming more fragile. Liquid coatings will only be as good as the substrate they are applied to. It seems to me if the EPDM has been allowed to become thin and/or brittle from weathering, any coating applied to it would be more likely to fail. At that point, the only alternative would be to remove the EPDM (instead of coating it) and replace it which is expensive both in material and labor.

Once I get rid of a lifetime accumulation of "stuff," I'm planning on getting a TT to live in full time. It will be exposed to weather 24/7, 365 1/4 days a year. I will be doing some modifications to the TT before moving in. At one point during those mods, the roof will have no heat pumps, vent covers, etc. cluttering it up. That would be the easiest time to Eternabond all the seams, cracks, and joints, then cover everything with a continuous coat of roof coating. Then the coating can weather instead of the EPDM (assuming that theory would be valid).
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #13

I read this thread. It appears there are two recommended coatings to use, liquid rubber and Kool Seal.

This post is older. Have any of you recoated your roof with either and if so what is your expeariances.

I climbed onto a ladder today and hosed my roof off and insected it. It is 10 years old and appears to be in good condittion still. It did not appear thin, worn or brittle. THANK GOD, however it is considered an aged roof. I am seeing anywhere from a 5 year life spand to 22 years based on all the posts from this thread. I guess it is a luck of the draw how long these rubber roofs really last.

Regardless I have no leakes. Shoud I leave it alone or should I coat it? All the seals ontop are still in good shape with no cracks, just want the roof to last another 10 years if possible....

Any suggestions about the coatings?
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof