Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2015, 07:18 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both our Dutch Stars have had BriteTek and we've never had any trouble with them. And, just like the fiberglass ones, we have to check the sealant every 6 months.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
Fiberglas has much less maintenance and lasts longer.
Not really, I wash our BriteTek roof once a year and check the sealant every 6 months. That's the same maintenance as a fiberglass one and the roof looks pretty close to new after 13 years. It would look new if I scrubbed it with a good cleaner.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I like the TPO roof. Much quieter than fiberglass in a heavy rain and more durable than EDPM.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #18

Having had both I prefer fiberglass, but it's not a deal breaker to me either way
RBabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #19

I am curious - I have only had rubber roofs on Class A DPs. If you have problems with fiberglass can you replace the fiberglass roof. My front cab "cap" is about 4 feet of fiberglass before the rubber starts....I had to have it re-gel coated as it blistered and I did not want it to break down and soften. I think the rubber roof can be replaced at anytime for a reasonable price? Can the fiberglass?
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_BUS View Post
I am curious - I have only had rubber roofs on Class A DPs. If you have problems with fiberglass can you replace the fiberglass roof. My front cab "cap" is about 4 feet of fiberglass before the rubber starts....I had to have it re-gel coated as it blistered and I did not want it to break down and soften. I think the rubber roof can be replaced at anytime for a reasonable price? Can the fiberglass?
DA_BUS
Any fiberglass RV roof can be replaced with a inexpensive, (cheap?), rubber roof.
That's probably what I'll use.... (if my fiberglass roof ever needs to be replaced).
Mel
'96 Safari, 136k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I understand Mop & Glo works well on fiberglass roofs, appling two times a year keeps them clean.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:39 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I have a slight preference for fiberglass or aluminum, simply because it is more resistant to punctures and abrasion than EPDM or TPO. TO is excellent otherwise, though, and requires no more maintenance than fiberglass or metal.

Too many people lose sight of the fact that the roof sheeting is rarely the cause of leakage problems - that's largely due to the seal (caulk) on seams and protuberances. EPDMs main drawback is the dirty chalky runoff. And for those who drive under trees, the ease with which it can be punctured.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:53 PM   #23

I was told fiberglass is better before I bought and I totally agree. In 4 years of RVing I have seen several rubber roofs caught on low branches. I was told by a friend with a rubber roof that it cost over 10 grand to fix his roof with three small holes from branches. Apparently you cannot patch (or the dealers won't) the rubber roofs. His first one was covered by insurance but he did not think they would cover it again.

The only thing that I noticed with fiberglass is that it can get somewhat chalky leaving white streaks running down the side from rain or washing. I found a great wax that after one coat it stopped 90 to 95% of the streaking. A second coat virtually eliminates the problem. The great thing is you just rub it on and don't rub it off. It is also the hardest and longest lasting wax I have found for the clear coat paint too but you do have to rub it off and not go to far before rubbing it off. Once it hardens it is extremely difficult to rub off. That is what makes it so great on the roof.

The product is Collinite No. 845, Insulator Wax. You can find it on Amazon and Advanced Auto Parts keeps it in their warehouse and can overnight it to their stores for about $20.00, why they stock it on their shelves is beyond me. Read the reviews on Amazon.
pomara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:06 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't agree with the rain noise being louder on the FG than TPO. When we had TPO, the tightly stretched vinyl fabric acted like a drum head. IMHO...FG is quieter. In either case, if you like rain on a tin roof, you're in luck.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Fiberglass for my money

I have a 12 year old coach with fiberglass. No leaks, no cracks no problems. Simply wash it and wax it once a year. As any calk around the openings ages I simply remove and re calk. Lowest maintenance I have ever had. I wish my house had a fiberglass roof
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:44 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Which ever one comes on the unit I like
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fiberglass, easy to repair if needed!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #28

I've had 2 fiberglas and 1 rubber. As a prior poster stated, the rubber doesn't play well with tree branches which I found out on one of my first outings with the rubber roofed MH. It also had white streaks washing down on the sides of the MH... I guess that may be corrected now with newer materials. Never had any issues with either of the Fiberglas roofs.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof