Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #29

What I do to hoist bulky things onto the roof is extend my 12 foot extending ladder with the feet as far away from the RV as possible, and the top portion just at the drip line, then just pull up the load on the tilting ladder by means of an attached rope.

A smoother ride can be given the load with use of an appropriate sized piece of plywood with 2X2 inch side rails attached.

If need be, the ladder is reversed to lessen the "bumps" in the ladder, and slow lowering is possible if that is necessary.

The ladder collapses into itself, and is easily stored.

Ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #30
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
What I do to hoist bulky things onto th roof is extend my 12 foot extending ladder with the feet as far away from the RV as possible, and the top portion just at the drip line, then just pull up the load on the tilting ladder.

If need be, the ladder is reversed to lessen the "bumps" in the ladder, and slow lowering is possible if that is necessary.

The ladder collapses into itself, and is easily stored.

Ed
I have built a holding device for my Little Giant Ladder so it can be carried on the existing ladder. That will work well for the boat. Good idea. As for the bicycle, I have been looking at a hard carrier and that would protect the bike.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am not trying to be a smart-azz but I truly believe that if you can't lift it and put it on the roof by yourself, it doesn't belong up there. I have seen too many accidents happen from people trying to place something onto their RV roof that was too heavy and/or too bulky for them to handle. Do yourself a favor and use a hitch-mounted tilt up rack or a trailer.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #32

The old Bluebird Wanderlodge coaches have a hoist to store the spare tire with rim on top, maybe you can find some pictures online
Old 11-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #33
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I am not trying to be a smart-azz but I truly believe that if you can't lift it and put it on the roof by yourself, it doesn't belong up there. I have seen too many accidents happen from people trying to place something onto their RV roof that was too heavy and/or too bulky for them to handle. Do yourself a favor and use a hitch-mounted tilt up rack or a trailer.

I do appreciate your concern for safety. I can get on the roof safely still but injured my back and simply cannot lift anything above 50 lbs. I can but really pay the price for several days. The boat weighs 60 lbs and on previous MH's I easily moved it over the edge. With the current state of back health it is just not worth it. Lifting 60 lbs is easy for a hoist and I can utilize some great roof space. So, as you suggest, I am not wanting to overtax my limits, and desire to use some device to help with it. The roof will easily handle the weight or I would not consider it.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #34

Well, I'm Old, Fat, and Ugly to boot, but do not worry about the weight of an object to be moved as I know how to use pulleys, levers, and ropes.

The Old Archimedes statement of (as I remember it) "Give me a place to stand, and a long enough pole, and I can move the Earth" would apply here.

Ed
Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #35

teter-lever

Here is another idea, will try to describe it.

Imagine a hard point on top of the roof near the back, not visible from the ground.

Now place a hinge that would allow a bar to be placed on the hinge, and it would operate front to back

Now add a pole several feet long, this would allow it to extend over the rear to be a crane, then fold over the MH to allow deposit onto the roof

now make limits so it only can move to the correct place

next make the pole removable from the hinge

to operate, place pole in socket on hinge, pole has the wind up wench attached with pully at end

push out over back, connect and winch up the load

pull it over the MH and winch down to roof

secure load

remove pole and secure to roof,

done
Old 11-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #36

i have a 40 ft.wanderlodge i am carry-ing spare on roof i can't load/unload with out some help...tire wt. 174 lbs. (no wheel)so i'm building small aluminum hoist 60 inch tall 1 foot out over rear of coach it will have permanent mounted base by rear goat rail but crane will be removable it will use two stalizer running from top of crane toward the front of coach...will use a small winch and all will be stored in roof top storage box...i did make one that mounted to ladder top fastended to top two rungs..but was 2 ft tall i don't think extending to work with tire would be safe..so working on new one now...mike
Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
A folding crane or davit should be an easy challenge for a welding shop or other fabricator. Folded height is not a real issue since there is so much else sticking up from the roof of an RV. Only real issue is the anchor points. Most of the roof is meant as a cover, not a weight bearing surface. I'd design a base to span at least two roof ribs (rafters) to spread the load. If you are sure you only need to lift about 60 lbs, aluminum square tubing would be the way to go. A few hours thinking, sketching and a trip to an adequately supplied hardware store for the square tubing and fasteners would make short work of the whole project. To build something up from the hitch or inside the rear cap might be fine if you are putting a speed boat or a motorcycle on the roof, but sort of overkill for a fold-a-bote and a bicycle, even an electric one.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof