Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Roof hoist to raise stuff onto roof

I have been researching and searching forums to find a very light weight and foldable type device to mount to the roof of my mh so I can lift a 60 lb fold-a-bote and a folding bicycle. Yes with help I can lift those objects but not safely. The roof is strong enough to support the stuff I want to put on the roof so not interested in a do not do discussion please.

I am penciling one to build from aluminum tubing but would really like to see if someone has done this yet. They put them on houseboats to lift toys out of the water but I don't need that heavy of a unit and must be able to fold it down for travel. I have a full size folding bike that takes up a lot of basement room and putting it in a container on the roof would be great. The boat folds down to about 4 inches and only weighs 60 lbs. The lift would need to reach about 48" out and need to swivel.

Building one is not going to be difficult but gaining insight from someone that has done it will help. Thanks.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #2

Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Overland Owners Club
lift for mh

e-mail with what you would like to have. Either hitch mounted or ladder mounted.

HC-1 phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #3

Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Overland Owners Club
lift

georgesscooters@sc.rr.com
HC-1 phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
YC1.....How about a mount that fits into your hitch. Make a 90 degree angle out of square tubing that comes out of the hitch and points upward. Use a couple of 6' foot pieces of aluminum tubing that will plug into the 90 and each other. Put a 3' - 4' pipe at the top on a swivel. You can mount a boat crank with a nylon strap (not cable) on the lower portion of the 6' pipe. Run the strap through some eyes at the top and crank your stuff up.

If you have someone on the ground who can help, you can make the pipe at the top "T" shaped with the crank on one end and the other end hanging over the side of the coach. Lower the starp and let someone connect and start cranking. Once it gets to roof level, spin it around and disconnect. This system could be broken down to just the sections of aluminum tubing.

You could get fancy and and buy a cheap winch from Harbor Freight and bolt it to the upper "T" bar and then drop the 12 volt lead down and plug it into your trailer plug for temporary power. Just add a momentary on and off switch.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #5

Beat me to it...

Let me add some

Make a connection at the top, call it a "hard point " to keep the "crane" fixed and vertical

It does not take much to hold up 100 pound but at 10 ft high 100 pounds is 1000 pound of force on the hitch, if on a blood it us more

Simple clamp to solid carrier then has the weight on the hitch and side thrust on the top.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
YC1

Hitch mount will not work in this case.
I actually built one of those for hunting in years past. In this case it needs to be on the roof and stay there. Without seeing a picture I don't think a ladder mounted device would be robust enough.

I use the tow hitch for the toad and don't want to store the winch.

Keep the ideas coming. Very often the solution will be something that combines the ideas.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
YC1

Thinking about the hitch mount Don gives me an idea. Since vertical support is necessary and lateral support as well I am going to look at coming from the outer edge of the hitch assembly, then possibly vertical next to the ladder which could easily handle the lateral forces and then over the top edge.
And TQ 60 the hard point on top may be the best as you suggest.

Sure would like to see some pictures of a way to build the swing and tilt pieces.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #8

Omg- pull a trailer! Lol jk safer and easier
Old 11-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
This is available at Camping World.
EZEE UP RV Cover Lift - Intersource Enterprises D10-231 - Cover Accessories - Camping World

If it doesn't raise things high enough, You could put these two items together from Harbor Freight and make a nifty rooftop davit.

Pickup Truck Crane - 1/2 Ton Capacity

1200 Lb. Capacity Strap Winch

Using the anchor points on the roof for the ladder should provide a pretty good base.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #10

My thoughts led me down a similar path as you. I have carried 2- 12' sit-on-tops on my roof, on either side of the rear AC unit. I was lifting them up by standing them vertically, propped up against the rolled up awning,(to keep them from sliding) would climb up the ladder, lift them up (45#)one by one from the end, pivot them around and set them into a cradle. It was ackward but I was strong (back then) and did it for many years. Now I am older and weaker and been contemplated your method.

My method for securing them on the roof was very successful and is the basis of this discussion of a manual hoist. I needed a very solid place to mount the saddles for the kayaks because the had a lot of wind surface area and I did not have much to attach to. I took two 3"w x 9' x 3/16" flat stock and bent it to match my crowned rubberized roof. Each end had a 1"x 5" flat strap welded on ( T ) each end.

I lifted the A/C unit off, ran the two straps across the roof in line with the holes for the AC unit (about 24" apart) and drilled 4 holes in the straps that matched the AC holes. The end T's were at the same level as the awning bolts for very secure mounting. 2 bolt holes in each T. So now I had 4 long bolts running through the AC unit holding down the center of the frame and 8 large self taping bolts on the ends of the straps, down 4" on the sides going through the coach frame (same frame that holds the awnings). This was a incredibly stout method to secure the frame to the roof and it served me well.

Ok, were am I going with this you ask. I would use the same method for making a folding hoist. My frame would be adapted with a plate that would accommodate a bottom hinged lift. The lift lays flat for storage, would raise up 4' and be extended out over the side of the coach. The key is to use a brace that extends from near the edge of the AC unit out to the top of the lift. It could be a small cable with a collar, turnbuckle for adjustment. You could use one brace from each strap (they are 24" apart) for more rigidness fore and aft.

My frame work did not require taping into the roof structure. I used existing structural strong points (awning & AC unit) as my support base. I originally welded blocks onto the 3" straps that allowed me to bolt saddles onto them. On each side of the saddles, I welded a oval ring to attach my ratchet straps that secured my kayaks to the rack. If I changed kayaks, I could change the shape of my saddles by just unbolting the old design and making a new one. It gave me good flexibility, I could even bolt on a flat plate to mount the hoist, hinged at the bottom, it stands up, guy wires running inward give it support when it is upright to take the load from the extended arm over the side.

I have not built it yet but I thought that sharing my untested but somewhat feasible half/designed idea, maybe you will build on it & take it further in the direction for your project. I agree that mounting off the hitch requires a lot more tubing to store and assemble and brace. The ladders are absolutely useless for anything but lawn chairs, a bicycle or for climbing. And most places on the roof lack structural strength.

I painted my rack to match the roof, I used a quality rubber underneath each strap to protect the rubberized roof. I also added an additional layer of foam under the AC unit to level the surface for the AC to mount on. It lasted me 12 years. I recently sold the coach to a friend and he is using it.

Hope this helps you. Let us know what you end up with.
Norbert
Old 11-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NURSECAMPER View Post
Omg- pull a trailer! Lol jk safer and easier

I am considering that. My parents pull an enclosed trailer.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
YC1

Great ideas. The truck bed lift seemed way overkill but it has all the elements I may need. I already have the winch hoist ordered. I may be able to hinge the hoist so it lies flat when not in use. The ability to extend the neck is a plus. I'm trying to find the weight of it now.

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
This is available at Camping World.
EZEE UP RV Cover Lift - Intersource Enterprises D10-231 - Cover Accessories - Camping World

If it doesn't raise things high enough, You could put these two items together from Harbor Freight and make a nifty rooftop davit.

Pickup Truck Crane - 1/2 Ton Capacity

1200 Lb. Capacity Strap Winch

Using the anchor points on the roof for the ladder should provide a pretty good base.
I have the one from CW. I bought it to lift my cover up but after intalling it the 1st time, discovered a better way without having to lug the bundle up onto the roof. The winch works pretty good but of course is limited in height because it attaches to the top of the ladder. Still have to heave it up the last couple of feet.
Mine has been used once and is for sale at a good price.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
YC1....You're back cap may be hollow between the radiator and ladder (air gap in the last 6' of cap). No matter how you do this, you're going to be drilling/attaching to your roof. Instead, cut a square hole in the cap (on top of the roof) just to the side of the ladder and drop a piece of square tubing down the hole, all the way down to the frame/hitch and attach. Weld a top plate to the square tubing and bolt/screw it to the cap roof. Now you'll have a heavy duty mount that is not visible from the ground and tied into the MH frame.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof