Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #1

Roof HVAC

2005 dual dometic safari .Hvac perfect last year. Out of winter storage.
symptoms . no compressor , no fans ,no furnace , no heat pump.
control panel only shows 3 speeds for fan and cool with temp setting . Both zones. no furnace or heat pump showing for either zone.I do not believe both had components die at the same time so it is something simple ?HOPE . 50years rebuilding sports cars , so not a newbie , but I'm missing something simple.
Actions 1 )Coach master on ( fridge ,microwave, WHtr, TVs all work.
2)A/C circuit breakers on , reset 3 times
3 )110 at front and rear relay at A/C units - VOM. house battery 13.7 V.
4) 15 amp panel fuse and both 3 amp fuses at A/C ok -VOM and replace
5) com cable di'd at front unit and panel blank , as it should be , reconnected and back to cool and fan functions light up only.
6) Altered temps all over to force on .
7) Downloaded 126 page manual , already into .
Only common denominator seems to be communication. ?
ANY THOUGHTS ?
bruxus47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 09:51 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Try disconnecting the com cable behind the thermostat. Wait a couple minutes then reconnect.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #3

thks for responding ,your the first . Unfortunately already tried and failed. What's throwing me is why the heat pump and furnace don't show on the control panel , even if they don't work . My next step is to bypass fire the relays to show its not the fan /compressor ,and on the com side. com cable has continuity. I don't want to start tearing apart , as I am confident I am overlooking something common and simple.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #4

Unplugging not correct reset.

There is a proper way requiring turn off then holding certian buttons while turning on and sticking out tongue.

Get copies of manuals for units and confirm which process needed.

The thermostat is married to control board and at this time it is confused.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #5

Roof HVAC

Read this post recently on another site:

If you have a 5 button Dometic thermostat turn it off.

Then hold down the mode and zone buttons at the same time.

While holding them both in turn the thermostat back on..

That is doing a reset on the system.

If there is FF showing when you turn it on that shows the system has all functions

If there is an EE then there is an electrical control problem.

If that does not fix it then someone needs to check the components one at a time.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 07:52 PM   #6

Did the reset 3 times , thks vettenuts. Each time same result. once switched on but before lifting fingers from zone and mode , there was an FF. Removing fingers one at a time or at the same time yielded an EE. I am thinking thermostat at this point , but will start with all components at each unit.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #7

Re: power at AC relays, not that familiar, but I do know there are time delays built into the circuits. Are you checking for/getting your v. readings with those taken into account?

Re: the furnace, if it's not functional, as in there's no power going to it or something similar, not so sure the t-stat is going to sense it's presence when re-set?

Re: heat pump, are you sure the AC's are equipped with them?

Just some ideas. Those thoughts completed, doesn't sound good for your t-stat.....
Old 05-29-2016, 09:10 AM   #8

thks ahicks , , All functioned last year , heat pumpS and furnaceS. I am kind of hoping it is the thermostat beacause it is relatively cheap , , definitely easy, and meets my main symptom criteria of common to all modes /zones. Now to see what the 126 page manual says about electrically testing the thermostat.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #9

New Comfort Control t-stat ordered this morning for installation tomorrow morning . T-stat failed the tests directed by the Dometic troubleshooting manual so lets Hope !!
Old 05-31-2016, 09:51 AM   #10

Well , ,, I'm back to searching for a cause . Brand new comfort controller gave me an EE right away .
Old 05-31-2016, 11:02 AM   #11

Ok , ,, cause found , 6 foot ,temporary com. cable ( made to correct polarity )
used and everything works perfectly . All I can think happened was I caused it . Kitchen skylight was cracked over the winter , so I replaced it . The new one is the same excepting the screw holes are 3/4" wider from centre. This must be where the
wiring runs in the roof , and I pierced the com cable with a screw. ( same screws )
Now I have to figure out how to snake a new cable through the roof. I am not taking out the skylight screws as it is well sealed. Any advisements appreciated. DUNCE cap again !!
Old 05-31-2016, 11:24 AM   #12

Did the temp cable allow everything else to come on line as well? Your temp. com cable runs from t-stat to A/C?

Is there an O/H cabinet above the t-stat the might allow the cable to be run for/aft from within that far enough to reach the A/C? Thinking cable run vertically from t-stat to inside O/H cabinet, for/aft as required, then to A/C. If wall and ceiling are laminated with solid foam, you're pretty much going to have to run it on the surface, covering it with a nondescript mldg as best possible. If walls have loose insulation or that open grain foam, you might be able to fish a line as required.

Glad to hear you found it. Well deserved congrats for sticking to it there! -Al
Old 05-31-2016, 01:22 PM   #13

What about the trim ring INSIDE?

You really need to have a look see to be sure nothing else got nicked.

Drop the trim ring inside and yiu should be able to get to the cable and maybe repair it.

It is likely anchored in a few places so pulling it through may not be possible but give it a gentle tug anyway.

If room you could cut solder and tape it and be good.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #14

I don't believe my little skylight screws actually did it . I dropped the inner skylight to reveal 6 inches of roof . Combination of aluminum , 4 layers of foam . There is no cabinet above the t-stat. I dropped the vent fan trim ring , and reveled the same . I've tried pulling either way , but met probably secured resistance. I 've already toyed with the "moulding hide the wire idea " In wiring , , terminations are quite often the cause ,so I'm going to replace the com wire terminals with new ones as a last ditch . I have a 2005 Monaco wiring diagram for everything ,( rare ,came with unit ) but not the routing. Thanks to all ,always open to ideas . Afterall ,the day you stop learning , ,that's it . LOL.

Tags
roof