Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #1

Roof Issue

I have a Southwind 2004 not sure what type of roof system but I think it's vinyl. I noticed I have a loose spot approximately 1 foot round. If I tap this area I can see that it is slightly bubbled and has de-bonded. There are no cracks in it and does not appear to be leaking. Does this need to be repaired? and if so how do I do it?
stevechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 06:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would try cutting a small hole in it, then spraying some 3m headliner adhesive in there, set a bag of sand or ?? to add pressure to it, I like the Dicor self leveling sealant, put a dab on your hole ,and any other cracks in sealant on your roof. Good luck . Roof
Old 01-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Thanks the link was very helpful.
stevechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would cover the cut you make with Eternabond. Some RV supply stores sell it in short strips so you don't need to buy a full roll.

https://www.eternabond.com/RV-Leak-R...ducts-s/22.htm
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
If it has not got a hole in it I would not cut one. Mark the edges of the loose spot and see if it grows. We had some loose spots on the 5er, they were there for 10 years and did not grow.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I wouldn't touch it either. I've got a brand new 2015 (Keystone) roof and it's got a few "bond" issues where there are rough spots up there. I'd do exactly what is indicated above - mark it and watch it. The only way I'd cut (and patch) is if it's moving in the wind or otherwise getting larger. I put a gopro on mine and took a video at speed to catch issues....
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The roof membrane manufacturers all say it is ok if it isn't fully bonded to the substrate. Just make sure the wood substrate is not soft, which would indicate that water has penetrated from somewhere (not necessarily where the bubble is).

If the substrate is soft or the patch is growing in size, I would repair it.

If it's not soft or growing, there is no real issue. If you want to cut a slit and apply new adhesive you can do so, but it's not required.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
roof tape

I entered this post because I have similar problems.

The tape I applied is starting to lift and I am not sure what to do.

I was just about to apply the Dicor liquid roofing when the de-bonded tape caught my eye. not wanting to waste my money I did not proceed any further. can I repair the taped area?

It is plain to see my roof is a mess but I really need only keep the black goop from running down the sides. the picture of the white round spot is a test area and it prompted me to proceed with a partial coating of the black areas which is cracking, though I have no current leaks I wonder if I should wait and just replace everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0350.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	116531   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0352.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	116532  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0355.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	116533   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0354.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	116534  

donnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
watching
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
It will not hurt to take preventative measures until you are in a position to replace the roof.

IMO it will depend upon how long you are planning to keep the rig. If you are planning to keep it for a while I would proceed with replacing it sooner rather than later.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:41 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
roof

Replacing my roof would be my preference, but at $7-8000 I am hesitant.

It is my hope the building I have under construction will be finished soon and will permit major repairs but until then I wish to control the rate of deterioration. another problem is the old sealant repairs are leaking and (I feel) should be peeled off before re-sealing, A lot of work is ahead of me and I am confronted with a lot of conflicting information

The bubbled areas is where the rubber has released from the substrate. the tape to rubber bond seems good.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:14 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
If you have (or will have) access to a building and do the work yourself it can be substantially cheaper than 7 - 8000. I replaced the membrane and sheeting on our 5er and the all in cost was less than 2,000. For that I also replaced all of the lights with LED.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:44 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have the same issue on my Journeys fiberglass roof. No leaks or soft spots. CW quoted me 9 grand. Then a highly respected RV tech I got to know said leave it alone unless it is leaking.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:40 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
I have the same issue on my Journeys fiberglass roof. No leaks or soft spots. CW quoted me 9 grand. Then a highly respected RV tech I got to know said leave it alone unless it is leaking.
Yes That is basically what I will do , except the deterioration is streaking the sides of my unit and I will coat the membrane in a attempt to keep it from further damage. meanwhile I will gather the parts I will need for a complete recover.

Tags
roof