Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Roof Leak

Hey Guys,

I have a leak around the AC on my Allegro Bay, I am sure that I need to re caulk around the unit, is there anything else that I should check on while doing this.

Thanks

Hunter 45

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hunter might as well remove the cowling, clean the fins and remove any debris.. The sealant must be completely removed and cleaned. The type of sealant used will be dependent on your roof material.. Lots of us here recommend Eternabond tape and sealant. It won't leak and it is permanent.

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On our 06 Allegro Open Road we had a leak around the skylight above the shower. We replaced all of the caulking on the roof while we were up there.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
AC units do not get caulked as far as I know. They have a gasket. If that gasket is tightened too much , it can cause a leak. Also the unit may have loosened and needs to be tightened. The latter happened to me. You can also have a water leak when the drain holes are clogged. This has happened to me too.

I would have these three things checked out.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hunter Cliff is correct. In our 03 Excursion we simply removed the indside vent and tightened the flange bolts thus compressing the gasket. Worked immediately.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Do I have to remove the unit from the RV in order to replace the seal. I tightened the bolts that hold the unit down today and ran water over the area and water still seeps down the front hold down bolts. I am going to take the cover off tomorrow to see if maybe there is trash causing the water to pool up
Old 01-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #7

Yes you do have to remove the unit to replace the gasket. Not a hard job but you will need a buddy to help you lift it straight up and off. Clean off old gasket and surfaces on unit and roof apply new gasket and re set ac unit and snug down.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter 45 View Post
Do I have to remove the unit from the RV in order to replace the seal. I tightened the bolts that hold the unit down today and ran water over the area and water still seeps down the front hold down bolts. I am going to take the cover off tomorrow to see if maybe there is trash causing the water to pool up
CUT POWER AT THE BREAKER FIRST...

Yes..you have to remove it, but is is not that difficult. Remove the inside cover, 4 to 8 screws, 4, one in each corner, then 3 or 4 under the filter door.
It will come straight off, then one each corner, a long, 6" or so thru-bolt, or screw, remove these, then you can lift the unit from the roof. It is bulky, but not that heavy, good to have some help. replace, center the new gasket, CAREFULLY set the unit back on the new gasket, do the 4 thru-bolys, then the screws, you are done!
Maybe an hour.
Don't try to caulk it, you will only ultimately make the problem worse, and end up rotting ou the roof deck, and, that is super expensive to fix!
You may or may not have to disconnect the electric feed, again not difficult, if in doubt, take pics so you can refrence them when going back together...
have fun.....let us know...
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My rear AC was leaking when it rained. But it was leaking from the inside the unit. Ended up being condensation from the unit having too much dust inside. I had it cleaned and no more water. Don't know if it applies to you. Just something I came across.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I would recommend the use of Eternabond tape as Clayo recommened in earlier response. I use it and itworks and is permanate. Great stuff.

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger
Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DO NOT caulk the A/C gasket. You can try to tighten it slightly, and if that does not stop the leak, you need to remove the A/C unit and replace the gasket. It is not hard to do, but you must get up top to do some of the work.

Ken
Old 01-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #12

totally agree here. same issues on mine
Old 06-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #13

Yeah, calking is not a good for this job. EternaBond is probably the best way to go. I've fixed two seam leaks with it and they're both going 5+ years strong. [moderator edit]You can sometimes find it cheap on ebay. Good luck and let us know how it turns out
Old 06-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok, got this one stopped, no more roof leaks, Hooray. Now for a new issue. On the passenger side, infront of the seat, in the middle of the floor, the carpet gets wet during a long rain, the carpet is dry everywhere around the area except for the spot out in the middle, any ideas on where it can be getting in, to only wet the center of the area, no signs of water coming in throught the roof so no drip there

Tags
leak, roof