Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Roof leak... suggestions to find source?

I have a roof leak and cannot find the source.

With a heavy rain or when there is a driving wind, water drips from the top frame of the driver-side cockpit window and also drips (but more slowly) from above the cockpit fan on the driver side. I reapplied dicor on the roof, applied lexel caulk around the window and the side mirror, and resealed the marker lights.

Any suggestions on where else to check/seal?

caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I fought a roof leak for months before giving up and resealing EVERYTHING up there! I used the 4" EternaBond tape for the larger openings and the Dicor 502LSW self-leveling sealant for the smaller ones. I also ran a bead of the Dicor around all the edges of the tape. So far so good!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:41 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Check the lenses and gaskets on the clearance lamps. Ask me how i found a broken plastic lens.
lyledavid
Old 05-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #4

Could be the clearance lights, roof penetrations for TV antenna, radio, etc.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #5

As you probably know, water leaks can come from sources several feet away....

Likely candidates:

-Check the caps driving lights for good seals or caulking
-Roof penetrations, properly caulked and sealed. Anywhere from the front third of the roof forward
-On your coach, is the windshield upper gasket above where the leak is, or is the dripping above the top of the windshield gasket? If below the gasket, then checking that or good seal is another source.
-One that I've seen on a few coaches, is the AC's sometimes need to have their four bolts lightly tightened to ensure a good seal roof/gasket/bottom of AC. (And, sometimes the AC gasket needs replacing.)
-On the AC front. If your AC has a pan with a hose to drain the condensation, I've seen sometimes where the hoses come unhooked or have a problem along their path from a roof penetration.
-I've also seen leaks from over the door awnings, or large awnings that extend towards the front to also cover the door.
-And the front cap seems to be one of the least insulted parts of a coach, so condensation can be building up and running anywhere.

I am sure others will provide other ideas too!

Our coach, has a drop that comes in from time to time, from the trim above the windshield. Seems to be coming in from somewhere over the front right of the rig, then as water will do, travel until it forms a drip. Our drip is anywhere from 12" L/R of dead center, at different times. Pushing the plastic trim, we can find moisture moving towards the passenger side. We've gone thru some of the above sources to rule them out. And it is either a leak we have not been able to stop from the over the door awning, or more likely, we have a windshield leak from the gasket area. We have a chip in the front right windshield and will replace the gasket when screen is replaced.

Best of luck on your search, and please let us know what you determine was the source,
Smitty
Old 05-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #6

If you can pressurize the entire RV body, you can spray soapy water around the suspect area and look for bubbles. Close all the doors/windows/ and if you have reversable fans, turn them all to fresh air in and/or use a large box fan sealed around an open window with some foam weatherstripping or something similar. You should be able to get enough positive pressure to find bubbles.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #7

It will be just as fast and more useful to simply get a couple tubes of Dicor or equivalent and simply recaulk every penetration in your roof and at the roof/sidewall trim.

Just work your way methodically around your roof; you will probably find several or many "iffy" cracks or holes, any one of which might be your culprit.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Winnebago leaking & rusting windshield problems?
This is the most likely area of the leak. I got tired of paying others to not fix the leak so I tore into it. The very last thing I checked was the lower area of the cap and the sealant was gone. You could lift up that area real easy. So I got some RV caulk and put a bead under the lip and smoothed out the edges and no more leaks and I have sit in some heavy rain.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #9

My RV is currently back at the dealer for a serious water leak, and it's brand new! Dealer admitted they don't check for leaks when they sell them. I did see a youtube video on an RV company that does water leak detection with the pressurized system mentioned earlier. I would like to find them when my unit comes out of repair. As said, you pressurize the inside and spray soapy water on the seams outside and watch for bubbles. If air can get out, water can get in. Asked my dealer if he knew about this system to check for leaks. I heard crickets. Amazing! Check around where you live to see if anyone does this service. Might cost a few bucks, but could say you major bucks later.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:47 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
One of the commercial test systems is Sealtech, very commonly used in the industry. I would be wary of a dealer who did not know about it or some of the other systems's. I had it done to a 5ver, 250 dollars but well worth it.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:08 AM   #11

A clearance light lens crack can be difficult to see. But with that being said. If an obvoius place for a leak can't be found, then I would do the whole roof area as stated by MSHappyCampers.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:22 AM   #12

Last straw method, when you're absolutely sure it's completely sealed? Pull off all the old sealant and start over. Way too many times, when something like this was brought in, we'd find all sorts of glaring errors (e.g. sealant of any kind applied over silicone).
Old 05-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
It will be just as fast and more useful to simply get a couple tubes of Dicor or equivalent and simply recaulk every penetration in your roof and at the roof/sidewall trim.

Just work your way methodically around your roof; you will probably find several or many "iffy" cracks or holes, any one of which might be your culprit.
I've done this already...
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #14

I had the seal tech done on my coach and they could not find a leak. It is leaking down the side post between the windshield and drivers window. The water is coming from the awning rail. When it rained I got a camera and saw where it was coming from.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431795062.502492.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	94404

Tags
leak, roof