Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Roof Maintenance

I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationeer. My roof is in need of some caulking, otherwise it looks like it just needs cleaning. Do i need to seal it with something.

caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Dicor seems to be the most commonly used "caulking". There are basically two types - self leveling (for flat surfaces) and the other.

Don't use silicone.

If asking about an entire roof coating - they do exist but I'm not familiar enough to comment. Maybe someone else will.

JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
First verify exactly what roof material you have, most likely it is a rubber (epdm) roof.

If it is,: for cleaning - wash/scrub with dawn dish detergent or spic and span as often as needed. Stay away feom Petroleum distillates. There are cleaning products marketed for epdm roofs, and those are just as effective.

I have used Protect All cleaner with sponge mop application and was satisfied with results.

For caulking - again verify roof material first. Dicor selfleveling lap sealent seems to be the internet favorite for caulking around all your vents and seams.

I just used liquid roof around all my vents/seams and like the clean look and overall job it does.

Liquid Roof Coatings for RV Roof Leaks Repair

2002 Class C Shasta Cheyenne 304
c_ref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
If it's epdm, sealing or uv protectant is not necessary. Keep it clean and inspect regularly. There are also products marketed for epdm sealing, may be fine to use in helping normal oxidation chaulk from streaking on sides. Probably lots of debate on sealing though.

2002 Class C Shasta Cheyenne 304
c_ref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our '02 Dutch Star with BriteTek roof (a TPO fabric) I just washed and then sprayed with 303. After 13 years it still looked great. You do need to check the sealant ever 6 months or so. On the DSDP they used Dicor around everything but the skylight as the Dicor and the plastic inthe skylight weren't compatible.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

maintenance, roof maintenance, roof