Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #1

Roof repair????

As anyone in here used a roof repair material called eternabond, I order a roll and I'm planing to use it around the skylight over the shower. If you guys have used it what was the result? Thanks. Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Great stuff! Do a Search here on Eternabond and you will find dozens of reports, alll favorable.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Joe,
Yes, I have used it---same place too. I had no shower skylight leaks, but just didn't like the old original seal. So put the tape right over the old seal after some cleanup--works great, and is paintable also.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #4

I have used it on all kinds of projects, one project was on an old motor home for a friend who had stepped on his skylight and broke it into 4 pieces. He couldn't afford to replace it so we used Eternabond on the inside and outside to put it back together. When he sold the coach several years later, the skylight was still in place. One word of caution, Eternabond sticks where it touches. It is almost impossible to to remove, so be careful when you install it.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

Had the same problem with my skylight leaking a few years ago. Used ethernabond on the cracks and around the seam to the roof and the leak has never come back. Also used it on the front & rear cap seams. And several other places where trees attacked my roof. Darned trees.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #6

That's great to hear that it's a great product. Thanks to all of you
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:17 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's great stuff but just remember to have it where you want it when you put it down cause once it's down it's down. That stuff really sticks.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had a leak and knew about where it was. Used ethernbond and no leak now.
GLENN0999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
All of the roof seams are covered with Eternabond as a precaution toward leaks. Just clan the surface well, let it dry and stick it on. Rub it and roll the edges to make sure it bonds.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #10

Another vote for Eternabond. I did all the seams on my 40 foot DP just as a preventative measure. Note, it will NOT stick to silicone, so if the roof was previously repaired with silicone, you'll have to remove that before applying the Eternabond.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
I have a question for those who have used Eternabond to seal roof connections.... I've never used it before. I'm planning to seal my white fiberglass roof (single panel) on both sides where the roof meets the sidewall rails (drip rails). So 36 feet on each side. There is a thin line of caulking -- should I bother removing first, or just clean the roof and sidewall glass and then put the tape down and cover the old caulking. Or remove the old caulking and not even re-caulk, since it will be covered and sealed by the tape? The roof is 7 yrs old, no leaks or problems. I'm trying to be lazy and avoid all the old caulk removal. What do you guys think....
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #12

eternabond

purchased a 2002 mountainaire that the previous owner has patched patched,and patched. what a mess. In my case I scraped all the junk off, thoughly cleaned with acetone, and placed the eternond. I also removed my factory tv antenna ,made a metal patch and covered with eternabond. hae to say,best repair I have seen. absoluterly weatherprove, and there to stay Doug
fulltimereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman
I have a question for those who have used Eternabond to seal roof connections.... I've never used it before. I'm planning to seal my white fiberglass roof (single panel) on both sides where the roof meets the sidewall rails (drip rails). So 36 feet on each side. There is a thin line of caulking -- should I bother removing first, or just clean the roof and sidewall glass and then put the tape down and cover the old caulking. Or remove the old caulking and not even re-caulk, since it will be covered and sealed by the tape? The roof is 7 yrs old, no leaks or problems. I'm trying to be lazy and avoid all the old caulk removal. What do you guys think....
If its the Dicor sealant there's no need to remove that. Just clean thoroughly and apply. I did exactly what you are planning. I sealed both front and rear seams and all the way down each side with one piece of eternabond. Bought mine on amazon.com for about $100.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Thanks Guys, That's what I'm looking for, advice from those who have done it!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, roof