Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Roof repair

Another newbe. I bought a 2000 GB pursit 3250 in Sept. last year. Had 2 different rv repair people check it out. They both said unit was in great shape, but would proably need a new roof in another year at the tune of $4000.00. A guy( worker) at another RV place told me he could put a rubber coating on it which should give me 4 or 5 yrs before I have to replace the roof. Is this posible? Thanks in advance. Also didnt get any owners manuals with unit kind of in dark about a lot of things anyone know where i could aquire manuals.

NCDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

What kind of roof do you have now? If it is a rubber roof, it needs to periodically recoated with an acrylic sealer. If the present roof is in decent shape, no tears or bubbles, Here's a link to the cleaner/primer and acrylic sealer. I've done some research, many, many posts report they get TWICE the coverage than the company calls for.

Search - roof coating - Camping World

Cheaper here:

Primer/Cleaner, 1 Quart - $22.09
Acrylic Coating, White, 1 Gallon - $59.59

You can google these products and RV roof repair and find videos and more info.

You can do this yourself and save about $3800 !

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My rubber roof was also nearly worn out. I applied liquid rubber to it 2 years ago and still looks great. Here's a link to my blog if you would like to see how I did it.
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Roof repair/coating

Our is a 1990 HiLo Classic 25ft with a rubber roof. Last year DH bought a gallon each of Kool Seal primmer and Top Coat from our RV dealer. Not cheap,but DIYS. Follow all the directions and apply with a paint roller and a paint brush. Use blue tape to the side area where the roof meets the trim. When cured up remove tape. This year he just has to touch up a few spots. We developed a few splits in the rubber roof at stress points along the side. Bought a roll of rubber roof patch at our Rv dealer. Clean area good with 90% alcohol and let dry and apply patch and seal around the edges with lap seal(sold at RV dealer.) Even if your roof did need total rubber replacement you could get on the website for Mark Polk RV education 101. He put a rubber roof on a 1968? old Yellowstone trailer. You could do this repair yourself and save thousands. Some have used Externabond tape to repair an entire roof. Websites and info . on this. I hope this eases your mind.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
iRV2 No Limits Club
[QUOTE=sam-3;1186755]Some have used Externabond tape to repair an entire roof. Websites and info on this.
Man, that would cost a bundle at the price of Eternabond now!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
I refinished my 2000 fleetwood 35 ft rubber roof by using Zinnser Bullseye primer' then two coats of Kool Seal Elastomeric roof coating. It looks great and took me about 3 hrs total time.
Walmart sells both items for 17.88 a gallon. It took one gallon primer and 2 gals of Kool Seal Elastomeric.
Less than $100.00 !
(I learned a local dealer charges $1500 for the same job)
I used a roller and a brush for trimming.
2000 stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
We have an old 92 American Eagle, the roof looked pretty rugged. We removed everything up top, AC units, all skylights, vent covers, all but the fantastic fan frames. I'm not sure it had ever been coated but the skylights were awful, some cracked and coated with gobs of stuff on top and around the edges. It took me days with a heat gun to get all the caulk and crap off.

Hubby cleaned the roof thoroughly, then we put on the proflex primer first as we had an alpha brand rubber roof and you are not to put liquid rubber on
it directly. Then we applied the liquid rubber with a roller and I went down the rolled edge and applied it. We had it taped off so it wouldn't run down into the gutter. It came out great, yes, ours had leaks, we thought it did when we bought it.

I ordered and replaced all skylights, also got new Fantastic Fan domes, since these were cracked the company sent me new ones free, can you imagine? We had 2 new AC units put in and a new stationary satellite dome, so our whole top is new and good to go.

It's a lot of work but material for roof, domes, skylights and all came to $1600, not including AC or satellite dome of course. The rv places want thousands for this work. The liquid roof set up time is faster then it says especially if its very warm so we had to work fast. But we had enough left to redo one of our TT's we rent out.

We don't know how it will hold up yet as its under cover and we haven't had it out for a long trip yet. But I can say that it looks like it became a part of the roof not just a coating and I expect it to last a long time. It's very easy to wash.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Thanks to all for your help. Looks like i have a job in frount of me , but with your suggestions i think i can do it.

NCDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote

repair, roof