Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #1

Roof repair

I have my RV at Camping world for service of my AC and some other issues under warranty. The service dept. said my roof needed scraped and reseal, it should be noted I had a leak near the windshield. The cost for this is $900. Does anyone know if this is my only option?

Thanks

Tom

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2007 Fleetwood Providence 40X
OurBigRVAdventure.com

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok, I am prejudiced because I had a very bad experience at Camping World, but I am totally sure that I would not let them touch my roof! That is a lot of money. You could buy a lot of 2" or 4" eternabond tape for that. You don't have to remove all the old caulk to apply Eternabond, just scrape off as much as you can and then make sure the tape is wide enough to lap over the old stuff, use a roller to roll it down and you are good for at least 10 years. Around round vents and tight places you might need to use Dicor sealant. Potential leaks are a real big thing to me and I trust CW NOT!

Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #3

The problem is , I can not climb around on the roof, because I currently have some very painful bruised or broken ribs. I am kind of at their mercy, heavy rain coming all the rest of the week.

Tom

OurBigRVAdventure.com
Old 06-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Then yes go ahead. If you have not resealed it since new then most likely it needs it. But be sure you get in writing some kind of warranty. That is important- in writing. Otherwise I would take my chances and wait until healed.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #5

Well this has become a nightmare, we brought the coach in for the jack repair, a leak in the roof, the generator serviced and LP fill-up. Well while hooked up to a 30 amp plug (we needed a50 amp.) our hot water heater went out, our. Number 2 air conditioner quit working, the refrigerator would not cool and my inteliboard (the electrical brain board) shorted out. Now most is under warranty, but after resealing the intire the roof and fixing the refrig. , I still have a leak and the refrigerator will not cool. And yes this is our temp. time home, so with two dogs, we have had to get a hotel that takes dogs...this is crazy

Tom

OurBigRVAdventure.com
Old 06-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many experienced RVers won't use Camping World for any service or repair work. My wife & I won't. Good place to buy black water hoses, but that's about all.

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just noticed that you're from Orange Beach. I'm from Lillian. PM me if you need referral to better service providers.

2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #8

Tom...After having serviced my own roof at my own sloppy lazy pace over a two day period....Scrub, mend and full reseal.... for $300....I just cannot see the windshield leak and roof being from that same issue...I know that windshield is high up there....it attaches to the cap...but I think you might hold off until your ribs are healed and get up there knowing you can keep that other $600 for another project that needs attention. It would chap me all ways until Sunday to give that money away knowing I could get up there and make that 40 fter a sealed and clean project and have some green left to buy a macerator or new blueray player or start a solar project.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the leak is around the windshield chances are it's not roof related anyway. Could be one of clearance lights leaking or even the rubber seal around the upper part of the windshield. $900 is a lot of money. I would roll the dice have someone help you possibly cover the area with a tarp temporarily and take an look at and fix what you find when you're feeling better. Not to duplicate any story but I was told the same thing at CW one visit I had. I had to ask, "and just where is it leaking on my one piece brite tek roof which also was just recaulked?" Service Manager couldn't answer that question. Good luck and hope you get it resolved.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #10

Well unfortunately my wife is so afraid of mold getting in under the roof, so I bit the bullet and had them do the job for the $900, the current leak that started all this is still leaking in the same spot. And my refrigerator is still not working right. We are carrying it back to them to get them to do it right.

Tom

OurBigRVAdventure.com
Old 06-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #11

That seems like a lot just to reseal a roof. Our local RV repair said they could overlay my 20 year old roof for 1000, that's a rubber overlay not a reseal. It wouldn't be the same type of job as removing and replacing the rubber roof as they wouldn't have to remove air cond., vents, etc. and the repair would have seams at intervals. I'm would like to schedule the work soon but will need a little more information concerning the proceedure.
Stan
Old 06-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Just noticed that you're from Orange Beach. I'm from Lillian. PM me if you need referral to better service providers.

From orange beach also
Old 06-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Roof repair

A bit OT, but the more you can do yourself not only will you save a ton of money, but it will be done RIGHT!

I won't let CW even look at my coach after my experience a year ago. I have learned to do a lot myself. I changed the power transfer switch myself last summer and fixed my Kwikee steps today after Freightliner said I needed to buy an entire new step assembly ($500) because there "wasn't enough clearance" to install a missing bolt. I picked up bolt and washer for $1.29 at Home Depot and installed by pulling the step power plug when the steps were halfway out. This provided the neeeded clearance to install bolt. Took 5 minutes, saved $499. Now I'm asking Freightliner to refund me the $65 they charged to inspect it and say they could'nt do it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402717734.909943.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	626.3 KB
ID:	65364

If I had a shop I'd do the inspections, fluids, and filter changes myself. New alternator installed at Freightliner, 15,000 mile inspection and air dryer servicing was $1,600!.. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402717770.250864.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	563.5 KB
ID:	65366

Tags
repair, roof