Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #1

Roof Repair, Help please!

After some recent storms here, I went to clean out the gutters and to my surprise, found this:

The plywood underneath has separated and is still a little damp. (Last rained here 2 days ago)

Need ideas on repairing this before it gets worse.

Should have Mid 90 degree weather for the next 6 to 7 days.

1997 Newmar Mountaineer

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is it a 5th wheel, MH and what type roof?

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #3

Class A, 1997 Newmar Mountaineer, EPDM roof. The damaged area is at the right front of the motor home where the EPDM terminates at the seam
Old 06-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You can use Eternabond tape - Roof Leak Repair Products & Sealing Tape | EternaBond®
You can use Dicor - https://dicorproducts.com/catalog/roof-products/
You can use 3M 4200 - Marine Fast Cure 4200 Adhesive Sealant :3M US
We used - The World's Leader in Pre-Manufactured Custom Teak Decks - Teakdecking Systems®

Just do not use Silicone. Silicone caulking is not for an RV roof.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It's hard to tell from the pics what size hole you're dealing with. The Eternabond tape will definitely fix the problem, but you need to replace all the rotted wood below before applying it. If you need to do any caulking, use the Dicior 502LSW self-leveling sealant.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #6

I'd let the high ambient temps dry it for several days. Then maybe slather on that magic stuff they use on boats that seals up water damaged wood. Then put something heavy on it in the heat so it'll flatten out a bit. Then do the seam with Eternabond.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It looks like your EPDM is shrinking, and has pulled away from the seam.
May be time for a new roof membrane .
Old 06-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to YouTube
and enter "RV Roof Repair". You will find many DIY Videos on this topic.

RV Roof Repair - part 2 - YouTube
Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #9

I have researched roof repair extensively over the last week as I learned that I may need to have mine replaced. I have been quoted about 175 per foot on average for roof replacement. Yikes!! But, if your damage is isolated to that one spot the eternabond fix is what I would do. I was told by several professional rv repair shops that a 12 to 15 year life is normal for the roof. I love my 02 Dutchstar but if I knew more at purchase (I was a newbie and bought at CW) I would have walked and kept looking. You have been given very sound advice by the prior posters. This is a great group of RVers. Whatever you do stay away from CW. Please let us know what fix you pursue. Safe Travels!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #10

I really like the Eternabond tape. It will reattach the roof membrane to the seam and never let go if properly prepared and applied. Without seeing the wood damage it is hard to advise on that part of the repair. Good luck!
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #11

Being a former boater and now an RV'r here are my suggestions:
--Buy some 'Git Rot'. This is a boating product that will stabilize any rotten wood. Best place to buy is a local boating store or West Marine. The spelling is right.
--Buy some flat head wood or sheet metal screws. Use these to pull the plys back together, so they'll have to be short enough to not go through the liner inside.
--Once you have the supplies, I'd inject the Git Rot between all the plys per the directions. Once injected, I'd use the screws to try and pull all the plys together as much as possible. More are better?!
--Let everything dry per the directions then use the Eternabond tape to seal everything up.

OR, replace the roof and have all rotten underpayment replaced. Good luck.
--The Git rot will kill any mold or fungus spores which will stop the wood from rotting.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I love my 02 Dutchstar but if I knew more at purchase (I was a newbie and bought at CW) I would have walked and kept looking.
Problems with the DSDP or CW?
We have an '02 DSDP and it's been really trouble free, but we also ordered it and are the only owners.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr159 View Post
Being a former boater and now an RV'r here are my suggestions:
--Buy some 'Git Rot'. This is a boating product that will stabilize any rotten wood. Best place to buy is a local boating store or West Marine. The spelling is right.
--Buy some flat head wood or sheet metal screws. Use these to pull the plys back together, so they'll have to be short enough to not go through the liner inside.
--Once you have the supplies, I'd inject the Git Rot between all the plys per the directions. Once injected, I'd use the screws to try and pull all the plys together as much as possible. More are better?!
--Let everything dry per the directions then use the Eternabond tape to seal everything up.

OR, replace the roof and have all rotten underpayment replaced. Good luck.
--The Git rot will kill any mold or fungus spores which will stop the wood from rotting.
Hah! Now this is the kind of spectacular advice I knew was out there from our boating & RV'ing friends...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #14

Mr_D, the DSDP runs and drives well. I expect mechanical issues with anything 11 years old but did not expect to be misled by CW. I spoke to the dealership manager once the roof damage was discovered and she smugly told me that they would have never pointed out any damage and buyer beware. I guess my biggest problem is frustration with myself for not properly doing my due diligence. I was sold on the rv as soon as I saw every maint record the prior owner had since it came from the factory to include the build sheet. I even walked on the roof but did not know what to look for. It was clean and seemed solid and no evidence of leaks. I will have the roof repaired and make sure everyone of our 5000 clients know of my displeasure with CW. I do spend disposable income on rving but will never spend one more .01 with CW. I will consider buying a new Newmar but that is 10 years down the road. I enjoy your comments and your knowledge that you share. Thank you!

Tags
repair, roof