Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #1

Roof replacing on Class A

Dear fellow RVer's,

When I was ready to replace the carpet for vinyl tile in my Class A many of you gave me the great advice that resulted in a very successful job. I thank one and all!!!

Now I need to put a new roof on the same Class A and would like to hear from any of you that have done this as a DIY project. I would like it to be a rubber roof as from my research that seems to be the best and long wearing. I need your input on this project. The two products that I have been 'leaning' toward are: Kool Seal 63-600-1 Premium or Liquid Roof by EPDM Coatings.

HELP!!! Thanks for your help and responding, in advance...
Linda K.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #2

Take a look at RVroofing.com, it is a spray on.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I used the Liquid Rubber to re-coat the rubber roof on my previous -1990 motorhome, very pleased with the end result. Dried to a smooth, durable finish and it held up well... Moderately difficult to work. Mixing the catalyst into the coating required a strong drill, and with 2 of us working, the material was getting thicker and harder to spread after 4-5 hours. (of course the hot Florida sun was a factor, may be good to mix smaller batches) Required a squeege to spread and a roller to smooth out, with some brush work to cut in and trim. A little concerned when done as the roof developed a few wrinkles, these all pulled tight over the next day or two and the finish looked like the original rubber roof when done.

I also helped apply a "Kool Seal" coating on a friends RV roof. We were covering a Kool Seal coating that had been applied years before. Result seemed to seal well but had more of a rough, cake frosting appearance. Easier to apply, more like thick paint. Mainly worked with a brush. Did not smooth out as it dried.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What type of roof does your unit have now?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Pexring: My Landau has a rubber roof, coming up on 14 years and the roof still looks good although it does show some wear, it is still completely dry. Just finished caulking with Dicor around all the seams etc.
In the next few years the roof will need replacement and I am leaning toward a complete new rubber roof instead of the roof coating. Prices for replacing the roof vary greatly, estimates here are from just over $5k to approaching $10k....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #6

While at the Tampa RV show last Jan. www.rvroof.com quoted me a price for our Newmar Dutch Star that was considerably less than $5000.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgkersey1944 View Post
Dear fellow RVer's,

When I was ready to replace the carpet for vinyl tile in my Class A many of you gave me the great advice that resulted in a very successful job. I thank one and all!!!

Now I need to put a new roof on the same Class A and would like to hear from any of you that have done this as a DIY project. I would like it to be a rubber roof as from my research that seems to be the best and long wearing. I need your input on this project. The two products that I have been 'leaning' toward are: Kool Seal 63-600-1 Premium or Liquid Roof by EPDM Coatings.

HELP!!! Thanks for your help and responding, in advance...
Linda K.
The products you mention are roof coatings, not new roofing.
Complete replacement roofing kits are available from several dealers.
As a DIY project it is quite labor intense but doable, Most service centers charge around $130.00 per foot, labor and materials.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #8

Roof replacement with rubber roof...

Pexring,

I am not sure what kind of roof is on my RV. It is a 1997 Fleetwood Discovery, diesel pusher, 37 foot.... How would I tell what kind of roof is on it? I know that it is the original roof, I can see some black showing through. Any suggestions on how to find out what kind of roof the original was?? Any help would be most appreciated!!
Linda
Old 05-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgkersey1944 View Post
Pexring,

I am not sure what kind of roof is on my RV. It is a 1997 Fleetwood Discovery, diesel pusher, 37 foot.... How would I tell what kind of roof is on it? I know that it is the original roof, I can see some black showing through. Any suggestions on how to find out what kind of roof the original was?? Any help would be most appreciated!!
Linda

If black is showing through it is probably EPDM rubber. I too need to replace my roof.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Linda:
Your roof is EPDM.
If you choose to replace it I recommend going to TPO. Much tougher material and does not sluff off the top layer like EPDM. No more black streaks down the side of the coach.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, roof