Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #1

Roof Sealing Opinions

Hello all,
I wanted to get opinions in regards to sealing roof maintenance.
Does it make sense for me to do the sealing of my roof versus paying for a so called professional performing this maintenance?
It seems like as I get ready and attempt this for my first time I have already purchased some supplies and tools. The price for the pro is 350 to 375 and warranties for 2 years for leaks.
I have already bought a power caulker and the dicor and proclear sealants and have a phobia about heights but is not so bad. I try to do most of these type of work. I'm not retired and still work so if I did it myself I would do sections.
What do you guys do? I know that this question must have been asked many of times and apologize for the redundancy.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm 69 and still check my roofs for sealing problems, but I used to inspect bridge construction with no safety belts or safety nets.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:02 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always do all my roof work, Just take it slow and easy, keep a hand for your self on the ladder.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:26 PM   #4

I'm with the others, I still do all my own work at 76, but I have neuropathy in my feet and lower legs which affects balance, so I crawl around the edges.:-)) I did the same while I was working, but that would depend on how much spare time was available. Years ago I replaced the rubber roof on our TC with aluminum and I'm contemplating replacing the rubber roof on our "new to us" MH. You will probably do a better job than the "pro".

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 01-24-2016, 05:07 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Roof Sealing Opinions

I stay off the roof. Never have been a fan of heights or had good balance. With age the balance has gone downhill the more. I know the roof is not a place I should be.

I take the coach to a trusted local RV shop to do annual roof inspection (in my birthday month so I remember when last done). Usually nothing is needed, sometimes a bit of resealing here or there, and every several years they recommend to remove all and reseal. No falls, no leaks, and peace of mind. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:32 AM   #6

Roof Sealing Opinions

I,m 82 and still get on roof to do maintenance and wash. Not something I look forward too, but I don't like paying someone to do what I can do.

DRVMON
07 Diplomat
Old 01-24-2016, 07:00 AM   #7

Getting on the roof at 76......82, that's inspiring. I have to make some effort just to get in the pickup bed at 69. Guess I'd better eat me some Wheaties.
I admire you guys but be careful.....my 31 year old son is in a cast from falling off a ladder.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:46 AM   #8

I'm glad some of you are able to get up on your roof however to the OP....only do this if your comfortable no matter what your age. SAFETY FIRST!!!!!
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsDP View Post
Hello all,
Does it make sense for me to do the sealing of my roof versus paying for a so called professional performing this maintenance?
It seems like as I get ready and attempt this for my first time I have already purchased some supplies and tools. The price for the pro is 350 to 375 and warranties for 2 years for leaks.
I have already bought a power caulker and the dicor and proclear sealants and have a phobia about heights but is not so bad. I try to do most of these type of work. I'm not retired and still work so if I did it myself I would do sections.
What do you guys do? I know that this question must have been asked many of times and apologize for the redundancy.
WillsDP
I have not sealed my own coach roof... but I have inspected my now 20 year old Filon fiberglass roof once every year.
I re-caulk with Dicor self leaving caulk, and apply Eternabond tape, whenever necessary.

However in 2012 friends of mine did my entire roof for me.
They removed the caulking from both the front and rear cap to roof joints, and from around all of the roof penetrations, (vents. skylight, plumbing vents etc.), and applied 4" wide Eternabond tape followed by 2 coats of white elastomeric roof coating.

Here's Karen's blog post of when she and her husband Steve did my roof:
RVing: The USA is our BIG Backyard: Coating Mel and Paula's RV Roof with Elastomeric Paint

Here is link to a blog post describing the coating of their roof in 2009: RVing: The USA is our BIG Backyard: Coating our Fiberglass Roof on the Motorhome

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I hope "sealing the roof" in your question means caulking seams. The roof membrane itself should still be fine.

Unless your problem with heights is severe, I see no reason not to DIY. It is neither difficult nor time-consuming once you get on the roof, and you may learn of other impending problems as well. Inspecting yourself is better than relying on the so-called pros, many of whom aren't all that skilled and often mostly interested in making a fast buck on your roof job. Chances are a roof caulk job gets assigned to the least talented guy at the RV dealer.

I'm 71 and still do mine. Wash it annually as well.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Hello all,
WillsDP,
First off, you don't say what kind of roof you have. The letters "GB" in your signature might mean Georgie Boy but, I'm not sure. If so, does it have rubber roof or a fiberglass one? If it's a rubber one, then SEALING or RE-SEALING it, could or might mean to put a coating on the entire roof. That of course is if it needs it or not, due to it possibly being in some form of deterioration or not. More details on your roof type and it's present condition are needed here.

If it's a fiberglass roof, normally there is no "sealing or resealing" of a fiberglass roof. They can be washed and waxed, if one has the desire.

But, if you're speaking of the seams, edges, joints, vents, and things like that, then yes, those have tendency to deteriorate to the point that it becomes necessary to clean them up and re-seal them. I have done just that, on a couple of our motor homes. I've heated up the old caulking, with a professional heat gun, and scraped it completely off and, prepped the area for brand new caulking/sealant, many, many times. 99.999% of the time, Dicor lap sealant has always worked flawlessly for me.

Getting up on an RV roof can intimidate lots of folks, no doubt about that. I can surely see all your points. Hanging around on the top of 105' aerial ladders on Fire trucks for my whole life I guess has sort of "cured" me in the height thing. So, 10' or 12' off the ground, is not too bad for me.

If you're not really sure of yourself in that kind of situation, it might be worth it to pay for the sealing/re-sealing of the item mentioned, To put yourself into a predicament that could cause an accident or, at least a scare that could last for a while, just to save a few bucks, is really not a good thing. But, if you're OK with it and, can handle it, the really good part of doing this is, you know the job is done and, DONE RIGHT! Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I also have an issue with getting on the roof, but I can use a ladder with no problems (as long as I don't have to step off or on at the top!).

I have resealed the outside seams and even around the skylight from the ladder by carefully reaching in. I use a ladder that has a wide base addition and I do not over-reach side to side ( I put a pair of old wool socks over the top end of the ladder so I don't leave marks). Takes some time and have to move the ladder several times, but I don't like paying for someone to do such a "simple" job. About the only areas I can't reach is the satellite dome and the AC units.

I also wash and clean the roof the same way each spring with a long handled brush that can be switched between soap and rinse.

The only time I have used a professional RV shop is to replace the gaskets under the AC units on my previous MH. Unfortunately they did not tighten them down enough and I ended up with a leak. Got my BIL to go up and tighten them down another turn or two.

Oh yeah, on my first MH I had my wife get up and clear the drain holes on the AC units . but I don't think she would do it now.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
I also have an issue with getting on the roof, but I can use a ladder with no problems (as long as I don't have to step off or on at the top!).

I have resealed the outside seams and even around the skylight from the ladder by carefully reaching in. I use a ladder that has a wide base addition and I do not over-reach side to side ( I put a pair of old wool socks over the top end of the ladder so I don't leave marks). Takes some time and have to move the ladder several times, but I don't like paying for someone to do such a "simple" job. About the only areas I can't reach is the satellite dome and the AC units.

I also wash and clean the roof the same way each spring with a long handled brush that can be switched between soap and rinse.

The only time I have used a professional RV shop is to replace the gaskets under the AC units on my previous MH. Unfortunately they did not tighten them down enough and I ended up with a leak. Got my BIL to go up and tighten them down another turn or two.

Oh yeah, on my first MH I had my wife get up and clear the drain holes on the AC units . but I don't think she would do it now.

Chris
Air conditioner bolts should be installed so the thumbscrew is inside the coach, if yours are atop the roof they were installed backwards somehow. These 4 bolts thread into the air conditioner base-plate. They should be torqued to 14 in/lbs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hello all,

Will, I think this is a question that only you can answer. It depends on what's gotta be done and your physical condition. If it's just a matter of resealing all the openings, and you're able to crawl around up there with kneepads, then it should not be a problem.

I'm 76 and certainly not as agile as I once was, but I recently resealed every opening on my roof. I used EternaBond 4" tape to reseal all the larger openings such as skylights, vents, etc., and Dicor 502LSW self-leveling sealant on the smaller openings such as vent pipes, TV antenna, etc. I also put a bead of the Dicor around all the edges of the EternaBond tape. I didn't do it all at once, and I bought a good pair of kneepads before I started, but I figure I did the job just as well as anyone I could have hired! I also stood a 6' stepladder up beside the RV ladder to make it easier to go up and down.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal