Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #1

Roof stripped

This is a new to me coach and the roof consists of one solid sheet of fiberglass connected to the end caps. After looking at it more closely the roof is chalky and I can see that someone had used some kind of a strong stripper that actually stripped all of the gelcoat off the caps down to the bare surface. Some of the it bled down over onto the coach itself but not very much and not very noticeable from the ground. Whoever used the stripper did a very poor job in my estimation. I fear that the stripper was also used throughout the entire fiberglass roof to strip off the gel coat possibly causing some damage to it. I believe it is necessary to put something on the roof now before it deteriorates even more. Has anyone had this experience? Is there something else I need to do now besides putting on just a new coat of Dicor fiberglass sealant or some other product?
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I would look at this. They will come to you.
Welcome to RV Armor - Home
Old 11-29-2017, 10:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbucha View Post
I would look at this. They will come to you.
Welcome to RV Armor - Home
You need to read the reviews on this company, NOT VERY GOOD.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #4

It's a good system but you need to find a dealer, it will be the last roof you buy. If the gel coat was removed, nothing will work except a new roof, or new gel coat, very expensive. I would have an auto body shop look at it, good luck[emoji848]🤙
Old 11-29-2017, 10:46 AM   #5

I can't imagine any kind of stripper that would remove the gel coat from a fiberglass surface. Perhaps the fiberglass was originally painted over and someone removed the paint?
Old 11-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #6

Can you see the fiberglass strains when you look at it? Gel coat comes in many colors, but you will not see the fiber of the glass
Old 11-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have never seen any product that would completely strip the gel goat off a fiberglass product. It would take volumes of chemicals like MEK or Styrene, be very toxic and dangerous to do an entire RV roof. I agree you need to visit a Boat builder or facility where they do fiberglass body to see what has happened to your roof. Do you really see the fiberglass mat weaving which is what you woulld see under the gel coat.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:55 AM   #8

I have the same rood as you do. This is how I redid my roof and it came out fantastic. This redo is one year old now as is as good as when I completed it. One of the best upgrades I have done.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fina...ne-316925.html
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #9

Used to have a '93 Winnebago Brave with the same problem. It appeared that the gel coat was completely gone and the strands were visible. In fact, I realized it was a problem when installing a new ventilation fan. Sitting on the roof wearing shorts will let you know when fiberglass strands are coming off the roof. Just coated it with three coats of Kool Seal as made for mobile homes. It worked fine and did not leak. You do have to reapply it every 4 or 5 years.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Can you see the fiberglass strains when you look at it? Gel coat comes in many colors, but you will not see the fiber of the glass
No... can't see the fiberglass stands, just has a chalky residue on it that gets on my clothes when I am up there. Feeling a bit better now. And... now maybe it just needs to be recoated. Would liquid roof be good for a fiberglass roof?
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My guess is someone used Zep floor finish or maybe Mop n Glow and used a wax stripper to clean it off.

Chalking is common when the gelcoat gets dull.

You can use any good polish (polishing compound would work) to get the shine back followed by a wax job. Use any good auto/boat wax. Or use 303 protectant or Protect All.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #12

Several years ago some manufacturers (National for one) used Filon to roof their motorhomes. You can even buy it on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/30ft-Arctic-W.../dp/B01MCYSK4M

It looks and feels like fiberglass with no gel coat. Maybe that's what you're seeing. Filon makes a good roof and will last for many years. Most any finish left to weather in the sun will take on a chalky appearance. It's usually not harmful and just looks bad. I don't worry too much about the appearance of my roof as almost nobody ever sees it but me.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
No... can't see the fiberglass stands, just has a chalky residue on it that gets on my clothes when I am up there. Feeling a bit better now. And... now maybe it just needs to be recoated. Would liquid roof be good for a fiberglass roof?
That chalky residue is from being neglected, never waxed. Most all gelcoat will do this in time if not taken care of. Every time it rained my widows would have that chalky residue run down and cause major streaks. It took a lot of elbow grease getting the end caps back in shape on my coach this summer. I still haven't done the roof itself and may never take the time to polish and wax the roof. The chalky residue has stopped running down on my widows, after I polished and waxed the end caps. I used Meguires 44 restorer to get mine cleaned up. Then waxed them.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is a write-up from the Beaver Ambassador Club. Others have done this and given positive feedback.

Protecting Your RV’s Roof – RV Roof Coating | Beaver Ambassador Club
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof