Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #1

Roof Top Covers

I am thinking of buying one of these from Adco, rooftop cover only. I do not like to deal with covers anymore but this is light weight and only covers the top and edges keeping caulking, plastic things and sun off of the entire top side of coach. Anyone ever use this and if so what are your thoughts? Here is the link to what it looks like. RV Roof Covers, Tyvek ADCO RV Roof Covers

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
iRV2 Forum Advocate

Winnebago Owners Club
I've never used one myself but have a friend who did for two seasons and threw it away. He told me that the cover itself was not durable. Evidently the hardware is flimsy and the stitching to fasten is not good quality. He said that the wind is a definite enemy. Also, he found the cover itself got dirty, slimy from mildew, stained and sticky from tree sap, and bird crap covered so even after cleaning it --difficult in itself-- it still wasn't very clean so I guess not pleasant to store. I suppose that you don't have to clean it before storing depending on what type of location and climate you're in but my buddy was in a semi-forested setting in the northwest.

Even though we are now on the go around the year, I still prefer to meticulously clean the roof twice a year and then coat everything with 303 ...not just the roof surface but everything up there. I wouldn't hesitate to store it anywhere since everything has a good coat of 303.

We were in one location for several months. Before leaving, all I did was first blow off the debris, hose off the roof, and then quickly wipe it down ...it actually looked like new to tell you the truth.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I've never used one myself but have a friend who did for two seasons and threw it away. He told me that the cover itself was not durable. Evidently the hardware is flimsy and the stitching to fasten is not good quality. He said that the wind is a definite enemy. Also, he found the cover itself got dirty, slimy from mildew, stained and sticky from tree sap, and bird crap covered so even after cleaning it --difficult in itself-- it still wasn't very clean so I guess not pleasant to store. I suppose that you don't have to clean it before storing depending on what type of location and climate you're in but my buddy was in a semi-forested setting in the northwest.

Even though we are now on the go around the year, I still prefer to meticulously clean the roof twice a year and then coat everything with 303 ...not just the roof surface but everything up there. I wouldn't hesitate to store it anywhere since everything has a good coat of 303.

We were in one location for several months. Before leaving, all I did was first blow off the debris, hose off the roof, and then quickly wipe it down ...it actually looked like new to tell you the truth.
I use 303 on awnings and A/C covers but have never just sprayed the entire roof. My roof is fiberglass, do you just spray everything you can see up there and do you wipe it down or just spray and let it dry?
Old 07-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #4
iRV2 Forum Advocate

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I use 303 on awnings and A/C covers but have never just sprayed the entire roof. My roof is fiberglass, do you just spray everything you can see up there and do you wipe it down or just spray and let it dry?
Well, I used to use NuFinish my fiberglass roof but didn't seem to do any more or last any longer than using 303. I know everybody has an opinion on what to use on the roof as there are plenty of threads on this. However, since I buy 303 in large quantities, I use it on a lot of things. I don't use it on any metal things on the roof, of course, but do use it on just about anything else including caulking and seams, shower skylight surface, vent covers, satellite dome, etc., etc. I know all will not agree but I use it on just about anything that isn't fabric or metal.

I'm not sure if the fiberglass even needs UV protection but I use 303 anyway as it seems to be easier to clean the next time. If you keep up the maintenance on a fiberglass roof, it won't oxidize where it needs a restorer/wax ...or so I've found.

Most places I'll spray it, let it sit for a minute or two (while I apply to another area) and then lightly wipe it down. Other places, I'll spray on a towel and wipe things down such as Dicor, any wire covers, etc. ...things where it doesn't make sense just to spray away.

Again, not everybody believes in 303 for all the things I use it for or use other products instead but I've been using it for over well over a decade and am very happy with the UV-protection it gives. UV exposure without some protection is such a damaging thing. My brother uses 303 on his tires and applies it on a regular schedule as he thinks it does just as well as using tire covers. I use 303 on my tires once a month but will occasionally use tire covers when in the desert for several months. Both of us have never had a problem with sidewalls cracking or showing any damage at all. My brother spends lots of time in the desert and has never covered his tires (desert is really irrelevant as UV damage can occur even under cloudy skies).

If you keep up a cleaning schedule on the roof, it actually is pretty fast and easy to keep it looking good and protecting it. If you let it go for awhile, then it's a pain to clean it and to get it back in shape.

Tags
roof