Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-01-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 18
Roof vent covers

I replaced a roof vent cover last year and found another on the ground recently at home after some wind at night. On inspecting the other two on the roof I found the one I replaced last year in good condition, but the other one about to break loose. The problem is they are held by four bolts with washers on the plastic, so as the plastic deteriorates, they break loose, and another thirty something dollars lands on the road. I bought an 84" piece of shelf bracket that screws to a wall to hold shelf brackets, cut it into 14" lengths which gave me six pieces, one for each side of my three vent covers. I had to measure the distance between the bolts on each side of the cover on the roof as they are all different. Then I drilled 1/4" holes in each piece and mounted them to the vent covers as shown. I think I should get a much longer life from these covers now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 roof vent the problem.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	90274   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 roof vent shelf brackets.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	90275  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3 roof vent problem solved.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	90276  
__________________

__________________
WasatchSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N. Palm Springs CA (in winter)
Posts: 2,420
If the roof and calking was inspected semi-annually and all vents were properly caulked and sealed to keep everything water tight, repairs of this nature would not of been necessary. Just MHO.
__________________

__________________
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
If the roof and calking was inspected semi-annually and all vents were properly caulked and sealed to keep everything water tight, repairs of this nature would not of been necessary. Just MHO.
the vent covers go on after the cauking
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasatchSteve View Post
I replaced a roof vent cover last year and found another on the ground recently at home after some wind at night. On inspecting the other two on the roof I found the one I replaced last year in good condition, but the other one about to break loose. The problem is they are held by four bolts with washers on the plastic, so as the plastic deteriorates, they break loose, and another thirty something dollars lands on the road. I bought an 84" piece of shelf bracket that screws to a wall to hold shelf brackets, cut it into 14" lengths which gave me six pieces, one for each side of my three vent covers. I had to measure the distance between the bolts on each side of the cover on the roof as they are all different. Then I drilled 1/4" holes in each piece and mounted them to the vent covers as shown. I think I should get a much longer life from these covers now.
that's agood idea never never never put calking around those
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,167
Nice fix WasatchSteve. I think you will get longer life from the covers with your solution.
__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Nice fix WasatchSteve. I think you will get longer life from the covers with your solution.
I was thinking to clean up his idea use 3/4 aluminum angle

getting ready to install some of those on my new mo ho and trailer

I've always used krylon spray paint around the bolt area to protect the
plastic from rot....

but the idea here would protect from wind damage and sun
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
jondrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I was thinking to clean up his idea use 3/4 aluminum angle

getting ready to install some of those on my new mo ho and trailer

I've always used krylon spray paint around the bolt area to protect the
plastic from rot....

but the idea here would protect from wind damage and sun
My covers are arriving tomorrow. I got the smoke colored Camcos from Amazon. Figured it would match the black AC units on top. Don't get a ton of light through those anyway.

I'll probably do something similar with angle aluminum or whatever is burried in the garage. Looks like a good idea.
__________________
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 10,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I was thinking to clean up his idea use 3/4 aluminum angle

getting ready to install some of those on my new mo ho and trailer

I've always used krylon spray paint around the bolt area to protect the
plastic from rot....

but the idea here would protect from wind damage and sun
It may be as well that the nuts were 'really' snugged down. With lock washers they would not have to be super tight.
__________________

__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
roof, vent



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats used for roof vent leaks rvillini MH-General Discussions & Problems 7 08-26-2014 08:11 AM
Roof vent seal COCO2009 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 2 05-29-2014 09:44 PM
2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J roof vent whipskipper Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 3 05-06-2014 06:23 AM
Roof Vent and Battery Boost Question 98Dynasty Monaco Owner's Forum 3 04-25-2014 06:24 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.