Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2017, 10:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Roof vents need resealed.

Is it cost effective to have someone else reseal the vents on my roof, or do it myself? Also any recommendations for rv repair/ front 3m mask replacement? I'm currently in the Tampa Florida area...
leadburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2017, 10:38 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I did it myself. Dicor self-leveling caulk was the product I've used. If you want to remove old caulk, a heat gun helps soften it up to allow its removal with a plastic putty knife. Clean the area with acetone and apply new caulk with a caulking gun. Besides roof vents, the base of holding tank vents, refrigerator vent, etc. all should be inspected and caulked.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #3

ALL the sealing should be checked at least annually. Anything that pokes through your roof is at risk. Remove/replace/repair as needed. Plenty of videos on the subject.
I do it myself. Takes a little time but at least I know it is done right.
I thought there were some threads on the diamond shield replacement. May want to use the search function to check what others did. I recall it wasn't easy nor fun.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #4

It's a relatively easy task, like leadburner said. At what most RV places charge per hour these days it's VERY cost effective, unless you are afraid of heights. Be careful up there.
jim27358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #5

I am currently removing the 3M Diamond Shield on our coach. It is not difficult, just tedious and time consuming. I would not ever consider replacing it with the same product.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If you are physically able to work on the roof then you can do it yourself! I would use the EternaBond 4" tape for large openings, then seal the edges with a small bead of Dicor 502LSW self-leveling sealer. For smaller openings, such as vent pipes, just use the Dicor! Of course you want to clean the surface good with Acetone or mineral spirits first!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:15 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Is it cost effective to have someone else reseal the vents on my roof, or do it myself?
Depends how experienced you are and how much you're willing to do the work for.

I had a 21ft Class C that the vents were UV brittle. I never did this before, but was capable of learning and doing. I'd say, on a scale of 0 - 10, the complexity / difficulty level was a 2.

I bought new vents ($20 each) and the sealing tape stuff. It took about 4 hours to replace four vents, I also replaced the two tank vents and put on a new roof frig vent cover.

A shop could have done this in 3 hours with a labor rate of $75 an hour (guess). And probably charge me twice what I paid for the parts. I'd guess their bill would have been in the $400 - $500 range

My labor rate was zero. My bill was about $120 (price of vents and covers)

AND the bonus for me: I now know exactly whats on the roof, how the roof is put together, how the vents work, how they are installed in that standard 14x14 opening, what else is in that opening (I found my rig was wired for a roof AC unit) etc, etc, etc.

If I had paid someone to do it, The only thing I'd have would be new vents, and the knowledge I gained would be how to fill out a check.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
How's the Diamond shield removal coming?
Old 08-01-2017, 08:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies!

Thanks for the help! My issue is I've been working 6/12s and just simply don't have time. Was thinking if it were a $300 or $400 cost it would be worth it to me. 10 more years till retirement...
Old 08-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Attended a seminar at FMCA Indianapolis a few weeks ago, guy selling a product called Release. Said secret was to remove it all in one piece. Here is his U tube of the process.
https://youtu.be/Y0O8wTuY08c
Old 08-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #11

The Diamond Shield on that video looks brand new. I would like to see that guy try that on some that is old and cracked. It would be a totally different story.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
The Diamond Shield on that video looks brand new. I would like to see that guy try that on some that is old and cracked. It would be a totally different story.
Yep, the old stuff is brittle and when you pull up over a mold spot it just tears.

I have been slowly removing sections on our coach. No big problems it is just slow. No chemicals or heat to aid removal. Did wipe down with goo gone if any small adhesive spots remained.

Tags
led, roof, seal, vent