Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Actually Stephen may know a lot about tires but, he is hoping you don't know how to read the code on the side of the tire. If it has tread and they clean it up they are hoping you won't notice it's old. Just remember if an rv salesman's lips are moving he's probably lying and, nowadays that probably extends to email's.
Along with Bunches of good info from the people on this site, I've learned things about tires I always took for granted. Mainly, age... Gosh, a 'normal' person (?) would look at the tread and say these will last me for years ... Now I know better.
And also learning about rv values from this thread.

Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Many many many (did I say enough many's?) years ago, I put what appeared to be a new tire with almost 100% tread on the left front of my car. I was doing about 70 when it blew. Crossed 3 lanes of traffic and drove a guy off the road avoiding me. Made a believer out of me.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #17
aging tires

Hello again.
In Germany is it law to go with your vehicle every 2 years for a government inspection. If the tires are 5 years or older, you must get new ones and go back there for a re-inspection. Driving on the roads with old tires can give you also a fine for every tire on your wheels.
When I was an apprentice, (car mechanic) we learnt at the college all about tires. That was basic knowledge. Here in North America nobody looks really close at the DOT number on the tires. (First 2 numbers are the production week and the last 2 numbers are the year! 4911 shows 49 week in 2011 as example)
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
Hello. I am searching for a class A MH and checked a couple of dealers in my area. Expensive and old. So I looked online and found one but the dealer said the nadaguide value is $30,000. Super deal? I could get it for $16,000. Checked nadaguide myself and it shows a value of 12,000!? Honestly? How does a dealer getting a much higher value? What do you think? MH: 1998 Four Winds Infinity, 18,500 miles model 33B.

I would make an offer of max. $13,000. ??? And yes. I know it needs TLC and a warranty...
Any advice?? Thanks.
Stick to your price, don't accept the 2006 tires and don't be afraid to walk away. There are literally thousands of units out there for you to choose from. As you said, only a few days left this year for you. Good luck and Seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #19
I'd go up $500 and ask for new tires, which shows that you are being resonable too in the process. Figure new tires cost about $2500 (less for the dealer) But, not a nickel more than that!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
I asked them already at the beginning:
If you need to get $15,000 for the unit because you guys paid to much as a trade-in, could you get me a 3 year warranty on it plus new tires? I mean we all know how dealers sometimes paying to much for the trad-in's only to sell new units. And if they can't do anything on the price ->put some goodies on top, please.

They still think about it.....
Old 09-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #21
Unhappy PPL Motor Homes

Originally Posted by elang View Post
Hi papaya, go to PPL.COM there a consingment dealer in Teax, they have all king of rv.
Hello again.
I have send now over a couple of weeks inquiries to PPL. Phoned them twice to get more information and nothing -"zero"- on extra information's they are willing or able to provide for interested buyers. Phoned today again if my mails are ending up in the spam filter. "No we got them, but we have no more information for our customers than we provide on the webpage....."

So no VIN# to check the units from home.
Asked about stock# A811 a Fleetwood Bounder 36S
"How old are the tires?" sales man: "I do not know..."
"VIN number for A811?" sales man: "I do not know..."
"Any known accidents?" sales man: "I do not know..."
"OK. OK. What do you know,sir?" sales man: "One couple from Ohio was here for a test drive. I thought that MH drove very well but the couple said it drove horrible.... and the owner wan't fix anything on it..."

So why should I choose PPL?

Sales man again: "Come on! What do you expect for $12,000? it is NOT our unit! I can't give you more information's about it, because the owner said so.."

I deleted PPL from my Bookmarks!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #22
The big "hole" in NADA is that they don't seem to know what was basic, let alone options, on a given rig. If someone is manipulative in setting an asking price, they can add in all the "extras" and run the "Guide" price up easily to what an older rig is really worth.

As an earlier poster recommended, get the base price from the guide without adding any options. Then I'd be tempted to stsrt out with an offer about 20% lower. I don't think the data in the consumer version of NADA can be trusted. Just translate the acronym!

When we were looking for a used MH a couple of years ago, NADA wasn't accessible on line and I used the Kelley Blue Book, which was.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #23
This has nothing to do with your particular situation but I will share my experience with a local dealer here in OKC, Ok.
I was looking for a used class A to take racing (MotoCross) and for fun and adventure with family and friends. Wanted decent dependable and safe and wanted to stay at or about 15K. Saw a nice 1994 Winnebago Itasca Sunrise 34K on it, really nice shape teh Camping world dealer wanted as I recall 23K for it. They instantly came down to 13500.00 I offered them 11000 which was more than the book said it was worth (8300.00 is what it said) because it was really clean and needed nothing. They di call me back, didn't really find out what they wanted because by that time I had bought a 1996 Pace Arrow with 12400 miles on it for (102 on the gen) for 12K.
I guess what I am saying is shop smart and hard, the deals are out there but the truly good ones don't last long. Oh, at 12K mine was a steel, but after tires, front end alignment, and electrical work (closer to 15K) it wasn't such a great deal. But I guess I'm happy! Enjoy. Oh, hey I spent several years over in your homeland (Laundstuhl(5), and Stuttgart(1), loved every moment of it!
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #24
Arrow buying an RV - NADA guide

Hello YZF571
It looks like I am running into the same story. I tried to get hold at a sales rep from PPL and was more than bad surprised about the only guy I talked to. I checked there terms of contract and saw that they asking $1,175 every 90 days someone has there MH on there lot for sale. So now it makes sense that the sales rep really didn't like to sell anything.

So I am still dealing with Renee and she got a quote for the tires ->$2,500! and she is know saying that she could get them in the price included if I am giving in a formal offer for the unit. I asked also for a xtraride warranty to be included and I am hoping that we get together on that.

Talked to an warranty sales guy today and he checked the value of the unit and said also that $29,995 is only a "fantasy price" because it would be 2 1/2 times the Nada value.

The cities in Germany you mentioned are very nice. I am sure you liked them very much.