Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Rotating tires ?

I'm not sure if I am being taken or not.
I had a small town mechanic tell me I needed to rotate the tires on my 34 foot Pace Arrow.
I didn't do it, never heard of such a thing.
How would you rorate 6 tires?
Larry

Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
from what i have read, its a waste of time and money. how many miles will you put on the tires in 5-7 years? besides, wont it look funny with 4 tires up front and only 2 in the back???

Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #3

Of course they can be rotated, and if, for some reason, you were constantly in motion and put on, say, 100,000 miles per year, you might want to do it.

However, us normal RV'ers will never wear out our tires. They become too old to use so have to be replaced, which means rotation accomplices nothing other than help the person that does the work pay their bills.

Ed
Old 06-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
They used to advise that you rotate the rear duals across from each other the fronts across as well. The last new one that I purchased they had done away with that reccomendation.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
from what i have read, its a waste of time and money. how many miles will you put on the tires in 5-7 years? besides, wont it look funny with 4 tires up front and only 2 in the back???

I don't care what you say now that right there is FUNNY!!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #6

I just checked my manual and it basically says IF you notice any unusual wear than you should rotate your tires. Otherwise check the chassis manual.

If your front tires are wearing, swap them with the outside rear tire on the same side.

If your rear tires are wearing, swap the inside tire with the outside tire on the same side.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post

! Now that's a good one. On the serious side I would keep your money in your pocket.
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My tires came with free rotations and balance, so I may eventually have it done. Don't think I would ever pay for it though.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I had a Chevy 3500 dually that I rotated the tires every 7,500 miles...I'm not about to rotate, or have rotated, the tires on this beast. The Chevy was also my daily driver, so it got lots more use mileage wise than the MH.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #10

If you have radial tires and decide to have them rotated, they should only be switched between front and back on the same side. It's my understanding that the radial belts will be compromised if they are put on so thay rotate the opposite way they have been doing.

With typical RV mileage/year, I can't see any benfits to rotating them. The downside is they all wear out at the same time!
Old 06-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
if you do swap them around, make sure the tread depth is close on the dual pairs in the back, otherwise the larger tire takes more of the load.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:24 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
If you have radial tires and decide to have them rotated, they should only be switched between front and back on the same side. It's my understanding that the radial belts will be compromised if they are put on so thay rotate the opposite way they have been doing

Your understanding is dated. That problem was corrected many years ago and is to be ignored. You can now rotate anyway the chassis builder recommends, side to side front to rear or diagonal. I personally would not bother on my coach. My car and pick-up are a different story.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Outdated or not when you rotate radial belted tires you should always have them rotataing in the same direction as they were before. Inside rear to front, Outside rear to opposite sides on rear and fronts to opposite sides of out side rear.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
If you have radial tires and decide to have them rotated, they should only be switched between front and back on the same side. It's my understanding that the radial belts will be compromised if they are put on so thay rotate the opposite way they have been doing.

With typical RV mileage/year, I can't see any benfits to rotating them. The downside is they all wear out at the same time!

That thinking went out the door about the time Edison invented the light buldb.. well not that long ago, but it is out of date. If you look at any auto manual, (yes some people do read the manuals), it says to cross them going to the drive axle and then the other straight back of foorward....or it may be the other way around.

Ken

Tags
tires