Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2015, 03:14 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Routing by Weather

We are getting ready to take a new Class A from Illinois to south Texas. Never waited this long to get out of the frozen north to warmer weather. The question is, what tools do you use to route my way based on potential storms coming at us? I can take the shortest,fastest route that may have ice storms, or take a longer route by going straight south to route 10 and go west. Where do you go the get accurate timely weather information before you leave and on a daily basis. Thanks for any suggestions .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 04:07 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This is an emerging capability for GPS navigation systems. TomTom (based in Europe and primarily focused on that market) recently announced a weather-factored routing capability. I expect that Garmin's will follow suit. Whether you have to buy a new GPS navigator to get this capability remains to be seen.

If you're using an iPhone or iPad, take a look at inRoute, free on the App Store. Weather routing, along with other factors like elevation change and curviness, are in-app purchases.

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:30 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
weatherunderground has a weather-related trip planning option.

WunderMap® | Interactive Weather Map and Radar | Weather Underground
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
weatherunderground has a weather-related trip planning option.

WunderMap® | Interactive Weather Map and Radar | Weather Underground
Thanks this is a great tool
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Thank you guys. I have enough to start on now!!
Travel well.
Bob
Old 01-12-2015, 08:40 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Wishing you event-free travels to your destination.
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #7

We weather route every Christmas when we go from TN to MB Canada & back. Keep your launch date flexible so you can wait out a storm of go early if you need to beat one.

The one big thing you want to stay away from is ice on bridges. As we all know they ice first when a front is inbound and the temps drop to just below 32. Been there done that and seen the aftermath. Folks in cars and 18 wheelers seem oblivious to the temperature and the bridge ice danger, they keep flying along at 70+. I do my best to "call it" when conditions look favorable for ice, pull off, fill-up, eat lunch/dinner or even sleep until that threshold is past and the roads are safe.

Sometimes conditions unexpectedly deteriorate while on the road. If I have to I stay put for a day or two I am prepared to do that. In KY just 3 hours from the house on the way North. I kept slowing down as conditions worsened, I decided to get off at the next exit, then watched a car pass me at about 75, then try and cross a bridge that was in a slight curve...he didn't make it, did about a 1,080 degree spin(3- 360's) & came to rest in a field off the right shoulder without hitting anything. I crossed the same bridge at 45, then made it to an exit and took a break.

Spent the night at a truck stop in Fargo ND when the interstate started looking literally black and shiny. Keep your propane tank topped off(above 50%) so you won't freeze in the event you do have to layover. A couple of 120v heaters to run on the genny as a back up too.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:42 PM   #8

Bob et al,

Boy did you get a lot of god information fast, I wish you a boring trip. (Sometimes excitement is not welcome.)

The only things I want to add are simple and a lot of those reading will do a face palm when they read this....

1 - Regardless of EVERYTHING ELSE do not out drive your stopping distance. It will be greater than it would be with a passcar, but did you hear about the 150+ pileup on I-94?? You know how that happened? Drivers plowing on to low visibility and with poor traction (stopping). There is footage on line if you don't believe me. So, if you have slowed down and some bozo passes you, just wave. When you see him in the ditch (or worse) do not - REPEAT - DO NOT stop to assist as some other bozo will run into you. That is what cell phones are for.

2 - Be prepared to hold up anyplace along the run. Have food (I suggest 3 days -just to be safe), water, propane and fuel. If the coach is still winterized, hit a Cabela's or the like for a water jug and get them to fill it. Be ready to spend a night someplace you had not planned to stop. If this happens and people might worry, that is what cellphone are for.

In the case of Item 2 - find a flat spot, crawl in and read or do something until you can see things are clear. Or sit in the nice safe warm coach and watch those morons trying to get killed.

We used to drive MI to Upper NY and east CT every Christmas so kids could see grands. I always put in an extra day in the travel plan. We did use it sometimes. When we winter travel now in the old coach, this is the plan that I use still. At least with internet access you can get good weather (use more that one source and believe the worst one).

As said, I wish you pleasant but boring travel.

Matt
Old 01-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #9
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Someone posted up this new site from the National Weather Service. In beta but will be in my travel tool box...

NEW Travel Hazard Forecast Tool!
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
Someone posted up this new site from the National Weather Service. In beta but will be in my travel tool box...

NEW Travel Hazard Forecast Tool!

Having lived in Illinois for 59 years and now residing in sunny Az my advice would be to go strait south via I55 for I 10 at New Orleans . Could do it in one day if needed and get warm quick. Safe travels since DW and I will be heading for Flordia in two weeks in our class A via I10. We also will watch weather in west Texas. Again safe travels and enjoy the ride!
Old 01-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to DonaandDon
Thanks RVThere, a great tool.