Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #1

Retired Fire Service RVer's
RPM climbing hills

I have a 2006 Holiday Rambler with the 8.1L engine and Allison Trans. and I'm trying to find the RPM's for the Max horsepower. We are getting ready to head out west for an extended trip and I'm trying to figure the best way to climb steep grades. From what I've been reading, trying to keep the right rpm for the max horsepower is the way to go. I'm guessing just let the tranny do its thing or should I downshift into a lower gear. East coast grades aren't to steep and long to practice.
mant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 10:37 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
First- it is not a race to go up a mountain. Stop the cruise, and let the tranny do its downshifting. If the rpms get low, manually down shift. Watch you oil and water temps. Higher rpms makes all the fluids stay cooler
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Your transmission and engine ECMs will figure it out for you - they have the numbers programmed in and now exactly when to shift to keep in the optimum power band. Just push down the pedal and go.

However, you may find the engine noise objectionable at the peak horsepower RPMs. The 8.1L produces its rated 340 hp at 4200 RPMs. Most people think it is "screaming" at that RPM, but it is actually working as designed. Peak torque is at 1600 but stays pretty much constant until around 3500.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
If we are talking about tackling a 6% grade, manually down shift to keep the RPM between 3,500-4,000. When the RPM drops to 3,000, downshift. If you let the trans. do the downshift you have lost valuable momentum. Watch you water temp if running at 4,000 RPM, following trucks. Normal grades can be taken by dropping out of Overdrive and watching your RPM. I would suggest purchasing the ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools to accurately monitor engine performance.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
If we are talking about tackling a 6% grade, manually down shift to keep the RPM between 3,500-4,000. When the RPM drops to 3,000, downshift. If you let the trans. do the downshift you have lost valuable momentum. Watch you water temp if running at 4,000 RPM, following trucks. Normal grades can be taken by dropping out of Overdrive and watching your RPM. I would suggest purchasing the ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools to accurately monitor engine performance.

Fred
+1

This is what I found with my previous Ford gas MH.
It only had the 275hp, with a 4spd tranny, and on long 8% grades, if you waited for the auto to downshift, it was too late to get the motor back up near peak HP.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
It's is not a contest to see who can get over the top first. I never let the tranny determine which gear to be in on steep grades. By the time it has figured out that a downshift is necessay and it performs the function you could lose 10mph. Which you will not be able to recover. Keep your RPMs near peak hp and you will ease the strain on everything. Higher RMPs also mean that you will run cooler.

As a side note whatever gear you used to climb the grade is the same one you should use to descend the grade.

Best of luck and Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chances are you will experiance your first transmission "Limp Mode" on your mountain trip. It can be quite unsettleing if you don't expect it. You will only have enough power to pull over to the side. When the Allison transmission decides it is safe to resume (can be 15 minutes or more) power will be restored. Once experianced your climbing will become less aggressive.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #8

So how do you determine what gear to downshift into, is it just by experience? I have a dump truck with a trailer with a manual tranny, I can tell when to shift down by the feel and sound, but it seems different with the allision auto tranny. I first experience with this setup, I was in cruise control and we started going up a fairly steep incline and the tranny downshifted, boy did it scream, engine and tranny. After that I shut off the cruise and drove myself, but never manually downshifted.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:41 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
Chances are you will experiance your first transmission "Limp Mode" on your mountain trip.
This sure isn't normal, we have crossed across the Rocky Mtns. on I-70, and numerous western mountains, without experiencing "Limp Mode"

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

If you experience "limp mode" when climbing grades, you have problems that need attention. Perhaps cooling, or perhaps ignition.

I don't see the point of manual downshifting with a modern automatic - I think it is mostly ego that makes people think they can manage RPMs better than the engine & tranny computers cooperating with each other. Push the go-peddle to the floor and the two will arrange thing to apply the best combination of fuel & air to the engine for max horsepower and the tranny will shift to keep the RPMs in that range while delivering power to the rear wheels. Computer controlled automatics aren't slow to up or down shift like in the old vacuum-controlled days - they immediately react to changes in demand.

I know I won't convince any gear heads of that, but it's my opinion, supported by powertrain engineers. If you want to shift gears, get a manual tranny.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:32 PM   #12

I think I will let the vehicle take care of itself before I start messing with changing gears. If my engine and tranny seem to be having problems I can always adjust things but it make sense to let my high tech power unit sort things out. 340 hp and weighing around 23,000 it should fly up the hills!! I'm no rush though.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:21 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very good question one that I also struggled with. I have crossed the rocks 4 times and always used the low rpm theory ( I am one of those who can NOT stand the screaming high RPMs). The last time I came across on Wolf Creak pass EAST BOUND I did not like the results. I stopped at the contently divide to rest the unit the temp gauge never went up but the water in the reservoir was bubbling. I think next time I will disconnect the toad.

r0n…..

2004 MACA3781
ron & deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #14

That RPM/torque chart Tom posted should answer every question about mountain grade driving. Keeping the accelerator "floor-boarded" is not the correct answer. Keeping a gas engine in the upper-to-middle of its torque curve is a better option regardless of road speed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote