Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2019, 02:02 PM   #1

Rubber grommet

On the rear duals there is a rubber grommet that holds the air valve extender in the outside wheel. If it comes out, how in the world do you get it back in without removing the outside wheel? I tried to get my hand between the wheels, but no go. Any help would be appreciated.
Chutingstar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #2

Thanks for finally posting on the forum.

Are you talking about what is pictured below? If so, they're called "valve stem extension stabilizers" and just push them in from the outside ...no need to fumble around from behind the wheel or remove the wheel.

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:29 PM   #3

Use a screwdriver to work it into place. Easier on the fingers.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Put some dish soap on them helps.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #5

I have them on my coach but the one on the driver’s side has fallen out and is between the wheels. They look like the top one in the photo. It’s still around the metal valve extension.
Chutingstar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't add to what others have suggested. Noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #7

Oh, my apologies; I misunderstood. It got loose from the outside dual and popped through so it's on the backside of the outside dual between the two wheels?

Maybe try screwing the extension off so it's not attached to the inside dual valve stem and once it's off, pull the extension toward you until you can pull it through the stabilizer/grommet so it falls to the ground.

You then should be able to screw the extension back into the inside dual valve stem and slide the stabilizer/grommet over and through the the extension so you can push grommet into place by following the advice others gave you by using a screwdriver or soapy water, etc. to push and maneuver it into place from the outside. I can usually massage and wiggle it into place by hand but you can use a screwdriver or soapy water if you see the need.

I hope that makes sense or works in your case but I'm awful at trying to describe how to do things.

ETA: These videos may help to picture in your mind what I'm trying to describe even though they aren't addressing your exact problem ...in the second video, at about :40 you can see her screwing the extension into the valve stem of the inside dual. That's what you would do once you unscrew it to get it off the grommet/stabilizer so you can insert the grommet from the outside as she illustrates in the video:

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote